Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will we learn

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't be arsed with the League Cup, but have more time for the FA Cup (which I am sure we will treat in the same indifferent way). I would prefer us to take the Cups seriously but realistically it's not going to happen. It's not just Brighton, all clubs in the top 2 divisions at least treat cup ties as a diversion, a chance to rotate the squad.

Yet one of them always wins it, and gets into Europe. It happens season after season................

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
The only reason the FA cup is treated better is because it is played on a Saturday unless chosen for TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
yes lets forget about the league and focus on the cup competitions, as we may get a 'big' team in the draw, so that all those once a season fans can scramble for a ticket whilst shouting how they've supported the team all their lives and its not fair that they've missed out on this 'big' game.
During this cup run we get shown on TV a few times to gain some additional income but our league form falls away and the home attendances for league games drops off as we are lower mid table flirting with relegation. We struggle to get our transfer targets as we are not seen as a team challenging for promotion to the Premier League.
Come on get working on those tin foil cups
Good post.

The biggest concern is Tony's ongoing £18million a year loss - we need to focus on promotion and wiping that out before we concentrate on the cups.

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Had we drawn Manchester United at home in the 3rd round, the Amex would have been full and the best squad available would have been selected. There would have been no speculation about injuries to our players and the club would have netted a good income. In terms of business sense and what happened against Reading it makes no sense, we are a football club that sets out to win matches,most of the time, along with breaking even or making a profit.
The attendance at the Reading game should be a warning to the club that fans will attend to see the best we can do, but we're not mugs and a great majority of the fans knew what was coming, kept their money in their pockets and staid at home.
As for certain comments on here about Tony losing £18m, thats his choice, one additional striker last year would have got us promotion, one less goal conceded at the Cardiff debacle would have got us over the line.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So glad I was around when the League and FA Cups both really mattered . First Division (Premier )clubs fielding their strongest team as did we. Great memories of great games. Wolves at home in 1969 , North Stand goal net strewn with toilet rolls , 32000 plus gate . Also R1 Ipswich won 27,000 gate , WestBrom (a) , then Derby home 33000 and away replay taking 7000 fans in Wardys era .The days when clubs wished to win every cup and league game they played and clubs were fined etc for fielding under strength sides. Stuff the fans nowadays. Wish I had access to a Time Machine.

I agree with your sentiment, but things have moved on and not necessarily in a better way for many clubs and fans.
Like you, I am grateful that I was around in that era.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't buy this argument that the EFL Cup doesn't deserve our strongest starting 11's attention.

First, we need to build confidence throughout the squad. That starts with a winning mentality. We need are strongest starting 11 to want to be busting a gut to play in every competitive game and be wanting to win it. That winning mentality translates into a determination on the part of other players to get in the starting line up.

Next, we need to be building crowds and not discouraging them. I won't buy a ticket for the League cup game next season now. Why? Because I won't be taken for a mug. If BHA want to field a pretend team then they can give me the ticket for free as part of my season ticket.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Saves money by not paying the win Bonus.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here