Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When will the Premier League play in fromnt of full houses again?

When will the Premier League play in front of full houses again?

• Start of 21/22 season

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • 1st January 2022

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • Start of 22/23 season

Votes: 94 41.0%

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think 22 season start, earlier than that its a bonus.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Still cannot fathom the minds of the deniers.

It's a form of grooming and radicalisation, not entirely dissimilar to the way young people are brainwashed into joining terrorist organisations and the like. They might be slightly pre-disposed to some ideas, and these are then relentlessly probed and played upon by charlatans and dickheads to create their own private cult (almost always for their own self-enrichment or self-aggrandisement).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Relieved to see several other posters such as your goodself with a positive, rational view of life in general come the spring. You see beyond the gloomy mood music of TV/radio bad news, delve further for facts and patterns, look beyond the now.

I can see why others feel gloomy, worn down by pandemic fatigue, that’s natural.

Imho the vaccines are THE game changer.

I actually think there is a concerted effort to not publish anything too positive at the moment (infection rates have stabilised/dropped, hospitalisation rates are plateauing in some areas, the vacc programme is, if anything, ramping up faster than planned) because the Gov don’t want to give the more moronic elements of the public any excuse to ignore restrictions - hence the seemingly negative news slant (accepting the death rates are appalling of course).

It’ll be a few weeks before this changes probably but at some point very soon the numbers will be undeniable and have to be reported.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I'm an optimist, it's true. And I don't think the government will be able to sell any form of lockdown on the basis that "there is nothing wrong at the moment and we don't think anything is going to go wrong in future, but if you could all live miserable lonely lives with no social interaction for another year just in case ..."

The vaccine will work. Back before the end of this season, hopefully.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm an optimist, it's true. And I don't think the government will be able to sell any form of lockdown on the basis that "there is nothing wrong at the moment and we don't think anything is going to go wrong in future, but if you could all live miserable lonely lives with no social interaction for another year just in case ..."

The vaccine will work. Back before the end of this season, hopefully.

The unknown unknown is the impact of the new variants. Hospitals have been reporting the incidence of younger people being admitted and these groups will probably not have been vaccinated by the Summer. Possible outcomes include the new variants being more dangerous to younger people, greater incidence of Long Covid and/or resistance to the vaccines. If there are further lockdowns it will be a combination of these factors not ‘just in case’ that will be the cause. All being well all we can be is ‘hopeful.’

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The unknown unknown is the impact of the new variants. Hospitals have been reporting the incidence of younger people being admitted and these groups will probably not have been vaccinated by the Summer. Possible outcomes include the new variants being more dangerous to younger people, greater incidence of Long Covid and/or resistance to the vaccines. If there are further lockdowns it will be a combination of these factors not ‘just in case’ that will be the cause. All being well all we can be is ‘hopeful.’

Agreed, this is why we must proceed with extreme caution and only lift measures as and when evidence means we can lift measures. Also worryingly we have a high proportion (over 40%) of BAME population who are at this stage unlikely to take the vaccine and these people are already disproportinately affected. Full stadiums means full buses and trains, full pubs, essentially normal life as it was in 2019. I think there will be a new normal for a while until we can be confident the percentage of people having taken the vaccine and the effectiveness of the vaccine has completely strangled the number of cases and hospital admissions and we won't be in view of this data until a few months after the whole vaccination of the adult population has taken place and no other variants that the vaccines do not work against have cropped up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agreed, this is why we must proceed with extreme caution and only lift measures as and when evidence means we can lift measures. Also worryingly we have a high proportion (over 40%) of BAME population who are at this stage unlikely to take the vaccine and these people are already disproportinately affected. Full stadiums means full buses and trains, full pubs, essentially normal life as it was in 2019. I think there will be a new normal for a while until we can be confident the percentage of people having taken the vaccine and the effectiveness of the vaccine has completely strangled the number of cases and hospital admissions and we won't be in view of this data until a few months after the whole vaccination of the adult population has taken place and no other variants that the vaccines do not work against have cropped up.

I never quite know whether these seemingly serious posts of yours are actually very subtle comedy. I try to imagine the words delivered in a funny voice or accompanied by a scantily clad young lady. I still don’t know. Apologies if I am over thinking it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Eh ?All the data is being reported DAILY. We'll know EXACTLY when and how rates of death, ICU, hospitalisation and infection are dropping and by how much (and where). We will reach various points, DURING the vaccination programme, when restrictions will be eased ,partly because the country is being strangled in the meantime. It's risk management - happy to be pulled up on this at a later date but I think as soon as there are meaningful drops in the numbers (and following a trend) and pressure on the NHS has eased we'll see very proactive reviews of the tiers on an ongoing basis. There is no chance we'll be waiting 'a few months after the whole of he adult population has been vaccinated'. Normality may be a way off, but I don't think 'near normality' will be.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If the vaccine gets rolled out before August then I would anticipate allowing people to attend matches subject to proof that they had been vaccinated, in which case we will know who the Albion deniers are. It won’t be a full house though due to these people and those who will continue to play it safe and avoid crowds (and I’m not going to blame them).

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If the vaccine gets rolled out before August then I would anticipate allowing people to attend matches subject to proof that they had been vaccinated, in which case we will know who the Albion deniers are. It won’t be a full house though due to these people and those who will continue to play it safe and avoid crowds (and I’m not going to blame them).

That's how I see it. Proof that you have had the vaccination will allow access to concerts and live sporting events. It looks like this will be the way my employer reopens the office's. So a fair few more month's at home cluttering the kitchen going stir crazy for me

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hospital admissions will plummet once all over 50s and susceptible people have been vaccinated, and this will be done by around April. Once over 60-70% of the population have had the vaccine, the infection rate will drop even without social distancing measures. I reckon we'll be at this level by the end of July.

So I reckon we'll be back in packed stadiums by autumn this year.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That's how I see it. Proof that you have had the vaccination will allow access to concerts and live sporting events. It looks like this will be the way my employer reopens the office's. So a fair few more month's at home cluttering the kitchen going stir crazy for me

Under such a proposal, and with no plan to vaccinate children currently, kids wouldn't be able to go to football for a while (ever?) nor attend many other social events, nor travel. The same could be said for any that, for medical reasons are not able to receive the vaccine, ie not those who just don't want to.

I'm also not sure the club would want to (be able to?) take on the burden of validating up to 30,000 people, particularly given some may change game-by-game and if there is a rolling vaccination programme, say annually, it will remain an ongoing exercise as people get their next jab.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Under such a proposal, and with no plan to vaccinate children currently, kids wouldn't be able to go to football for a while (ever?) nor attend many other social events, nor travel. The same could be said for any that, for medical reasons are not able to receive the vaccine, ie not those who just don't want to.

I'm also not sure the club would want to (be able to?) take on the burden of validating up to 30,000 people, particularly given some may change game-by-game and if there is a rolling vaccination programme, say annually, it will remain an ongoing exercise as people get their next jab.

Kids will be exempt - they don’t get ill from it, and those adults attending will be vaccinated. Anyone vulnerable not attending will also have been vaccinated anyway so no risk of ‘kid to fan to non attendee’ transmission.

By the time we’re back, de facto pressure on the NHS will have eased significantly, so anyone unlucky enough to get seriously ill will be sure of treatment. I doubt the club will even need to check - vaxx numbers will be sufficiently high in % of the adult population terms) by then to allow things to happen.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Look forward to a 30k 70 year old plus crowd in mid February. Maybe a few free tickets given out to care homes

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Kids will be exempt - they don’t get ill from it, and those adults attending will be vaccinated. Anyone vulnerable not attending will also have been vaccinated anyway so no risk of ‘kid to fan to non attendee’ transmission.

By the time we’re back, de facto pressure on the NHS will have eased significantly, so anyone unlucky enough to get seriously ill will be sure of treatment. I doubt the club will even need to check - vaxx numbers will be sufficiently high in % of the adult population terms) by then to allow things to happen.

Kids absolutely DO get ill from it, but in much smaller number, fortunately.

I wasn't saying that proof of vaccination would be required, nor that the Albion would validate that. I was countering the suggestion from those I quoted that proof of vaccination would be a mechanism used for football attendance and, by implication, other social activities.

I just don't see that as practical, nor fitting with the current government's generally libertarian stance.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

Just a month or so ago Johnson's moonshot plan was to test everyone trying to attend a concert or Football match before being allowed to attend.

Checking everyone who is coming has been vaccinated would be a lot esier than that!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I’m completely pro vaccination, but this is ridiculous.

You can’t force people to put something into their bodies.

I’m also not sure a football club should have any knowledge of someone’s medical history.

You are then onto the how long will it take, if you don’t get a booster every year are you then banned?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Kids absolutely DO get ill from it, but in much smaller number, fortunately.

I wasn't saying that proof of vaccination would be required, nor that the Albion would validate that. I was countering the suggestion from those I quoted that proof of vaccination would be a mechanism used for football attendance and, by implication, other social activities.

I just don't see that as practical, nor fitting with the current government's generally libertarian stance.

Very few kids get ill relative to the number adults, and even fewer get seriously ill (one report I read suggested no statistical difference in hospitalisation numbers between flu and Covid amongst U18s). They’ll be back at the football without being vaccinated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here