Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When will our fans turn?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
…because our model is to sell best players and managers (not that we have any choice realistically, but it will frustrate)

I’m just wondering when this will lead to spectacular sense of entitlement perhaps from some quarters? Or are we more grounded than more massive clubs like Wednesday and Leeds?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I think most are pretty realistic about where we are in the food chain, what resources we have and what is needed to maintain this level.

For those of us who have been around since the Withdean days or before, most seem to think of this period as "these are the glory days, enjoy them while we have them".

Maybe there is a younger generation who have only seen Brighton succeed who have higher expectations but to be honest these seem to be a small minority.

The fans will turn when the results dry up and relegation threatens. And then a few years after that we will reminisce about this period as the greatest in the clubs history.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I can’t see us turning. We know what we are and how the dice are loaded against us. It’ll take a long time before a significant number of fans start to see us as an established big* club.

*see numerous threads on here discussing the definition of ‘big team/club’

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was having this, what feels like weekly conversation with my Arsenal colleague, an hour ago.

how old is Pedro?
Dunno 21?
I thought he was older than that, 24?
Oh no he's not that old, so it'll be £200,000,000 in the summer.
Will you ever keep players and aim for top 4...

... I hope not. 😂

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
History shows us that this can’t be maintained over the long term. To my mind there’s two scenarios:

1. A gradual decline in results and the quality of player that we bring in to replace those moving on. Cue dissatisfaction, wailing, gnashing of teeth etc. (Followed as others have mentioned by regarding our current efforts as a golden age of the club)

Or

2. We are able to bridge the divide by repeatedly qualifying for Europe, continuing to attract talent of the right calibre and develop that talent, to the extent that our financial clout grows, and we can make our wage structures more competitive and become an attractive destination in our own right.

Obviously I’m hoping it’s scenario 2, but I think all of us bar the youngsters have seen enough to not be taking anything for granted. It’s only the fans we’ve gained over the last couple of seasons who (to borrow a phrase) may be in “need of a history lesson.”

jrbha

Nov 18, 2021
The majority won't turn. Most of us are realistic as to who we are and what our place is in the footballing ladder.

Countless players and managers have wanted to leave under Bloom's ownership (some got their wish, others didn't) and we were fine after they went. Players and managers will want to go again in the future and we'll be fine for as long as Bloom is at the helm.

Trust in Uncle Tony, and enjoy these times whilst we have them. It won't last forever.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I guess there will eventually be another Sami Hyypia type season, at which point a high percentage of the fans will turn.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
By referring to our buy/sell strategy, you can only mean when will the fans 'turn against Bloom?'

Pretty certain the answer will be never.

His successor on the other hand, maybe quite soon. Already seems a bit of disgruntlement appearing against Top, Vichai's son, on the Leicester boards

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'd be stunned if a minority didn't turn, if you have the misfortune to see a lot of Albion twitter you can find a lot of negativity and some entitlement.

The vast majority thought I'd expect to keep the faith with the club. I am now resigned to losing players and mangers that we have brought to prominence and whose value we have increased. I also have faith in Bloom and Barber to still produce the goods though. The days of me wailing and gnashing my teeth at the exit of a beloved player are long gone, for the time being this is the way for us and I accept it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
History shows us that this can’t be maintained over the long term. To my mind there’s two scenarios:

1. A gradual decline in results and the quality of player that we bring in to replace those moving on. Cue dissatisfaction, wailing, gnashing of teeth etc. (Followed as others have mentioned by regarding our current efforts as a golden age of the club)

Or

2. We are able to bridge the divide by repeatedly qualifying for Europe, continuing to attract talent of the right calibre and develop that talent, to the extent that our financial clout grows, and we can make our wage structures more competitive and become an attractive destination in our own right.

Obviously I’m hoping it’s scenario 2, but I think all of us bar the youngsters have seen enough to not be taking anything for granted. It’s only the fans we’ve gained over the last couple of seasons who (to borrow a phrase) may be in “need of a history lesson.”
Your second scenario is perfectly feasible all the while Uncle Tony is running the club, or he's handed over to someone comparable. It happens in Europe - Bayer Leverkusen and Villareal are good examples of medium sized clubs with small catchment areas both punching well above their weight.

I just want to see us win a trophy before I die!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
When all of us NSC old codger types have died and all that's left is people who can't remember what we've been though. 5 years :D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh and Sheffield was the first game this season when I didn't have a single bellend in earshot.

Well done everybody.
I was so close. It was nearly the perfect crowd.

Unfortunately, the bellend who tried to nick our seats in Amsterdam at half time was in close proximity. Turned up, tried to force his way on to our full row, failed, went to his allocated seat and then went for a pint on 37 minutes.

By the looks of things he was with the bloke who was next to me and a girl in the seat in front of my son. Hs seat was another few to the right on the same row as the girl. How f***ing hard is it to a) book three places together and b) get to your seat in time to take them up?

It's not that I'm against a bit of flexibility in the arrangements away from home. We were standing near this group only because we'd moved along three to let two families and their mate be together.

Anyhoo, a bit of a diversion, and that's because the answer to the question is that our real fans simply won't turn. Some of the Premier League only muppets we've picked up might, the tourists might even stop coming, but that will only be if we a) don't replace RDZ adequately when the time comes and b) sell Mitoma.

Selling players is what we do. I know this season would be EVEN better if we still had Caicedo but I do understand why we sold him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Who is to say we will always keep the same model? Messrs Barber and Bloom are perfectly capable of thinking about whether we should change it. In fact it is quite likely to be in the back of their mind all the time.
if we carry on being successful along the same lines as we are now, young players we sign who do well may become less likely to want to leave. What if we win a trophy this year?
If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. But if it becomes broke - I.e stops being an effective strategy - they would certainly at least review it and change it if thought necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here