Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] When will cash disappear ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
like still to have cash on me, I like the feeling of getting money out and counting and handing over something to get something.
God I will miss saying at the shop "can i get rid of all my shrapnel"

Quite - Handing over a tenner for my haircut and telling him to keep the change is just nice way to do it. Also I get paid cash by the farmer who grazes my land, lovely getting a little card with a few hundred quid in it every Christmas :) Wouldn't be the same with a bank transfer, not everything is about the most efficient, cheapest way to do it....

It's a lot more than 2m people who don't have bank accounts. How many children are there in the UK? 12m? 15m? Most of them don't have bank accounts, I would have thought. Not with unlimited remote access to funds, anyway.

Fair point, I meant adults but yeah, you're not going to give your kids cards to abuse are you??

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It's a lot more than 2m people who don't have bank accounts. How many children are there in the UK? 12m? 15m? Most of them don't have bank accounts, I would have thought. Not with unlimited remote access to funds, anyway.

How do children get spending money nowadays?

Children can have their own accounts with a debit card from age 11 - how many 10- children go shopping without an adult present?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
1 card pays the lot, divvy it up later?

Our group size range from 3 of us to 12 over last season. May work with smaller numbers but not bigger numbers. Not fair on one person outlaying £4/5/600 that and then having to chase round people to get the money.

Plus how is that easier? And how do you divvy up later.....would be cash!!

Quite - Handing over a tenner for my haircut and telling him to keep the change is just nice way to do it. Also I get paid cash by the farmer who grazes my land, lovely getting a little card with a few hundred quid in it every Christmas :) Wouldn't be the same with a bank transfer, not everything is about the most efficient, cheapest way to do it....

Fair point, I meant adults but yeah, you're not going to give your kids cards to abuse are you??

Children can have their own accounts with a debit card from age 11 - how many 10- children go shopping without an adult present?

Kids of any age can have contactless prepaid Visa cards these days.

https://www.gohenry.com/uk/

Several kids aged 6/7 in the class have GoHenry cards with their pocket money topping them up each week. They can have spending limits etc applied.

Our group size range from 3 of us to 12 over last season. May work with smaller numbers but not bigger numbers. Not fair on one person outlaying £4/5/600 that and then having to chase round people to get the money.

Plus how is that easier? And how do you divvy up later.....would be cash!!

I guess you could have a prepaid Visa/Mastercard, where each person in the group loads up their contribution to the whip at the start of the day. That card buys everything all day, anything left at the end is rolled forward to the next match.

Everyone pays in at the start like cash, so no chasing people for money afterwards. You can't spend more than you've put in so same as cash.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

As a parent it seems most kids these days have some sort of account from about the age of 10 (there's loads of services just for this purpose - Go Henry, Nimbl, etc etc). Obviously not all of them but seems most of them do.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Narcotics .... how are addicts and punters going to pay?

That would make things tricky ...... they’d need to up contactless to £60.00 on Friday and Saturday nights surely.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Lots go and get fags and a paper for their parents in the morning? Or has that been phased out now?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Cash will never completely disappear. I personally can’t recall the last time I used cash or drew any out of an ATM. Certainly not since lockdown began.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
One can, I believe, transfer cash via the mobile phone to chums and alike.

Again its still not easier than saying bung 20s in and when we're out you bung another 20 in and so on and so on.

You'll have to have someone keeping note of all spends plus it'll mean the same person going to the bar every time.

Then you've got to bring into account the technical luddites amongst my pals.

I know there are ways round it but technology is meant to improve things and make them easier.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I think cash as norm will be gone in less than 5 years, I expect it would have been 10years but like a lot of things coronavirus has accelerated its demise. I took out £200 at start of lockdown - still have £160. Before lockdown I’d rarely use card for anything less than £20 but now I have loads of £2-5 transactions. Probably only three places I felt you had to pay cash were barbers (post lockdown - I’m ‘shearing’ myself) taxi - being replace by cashless Uber, and the pub ( who now want you to pay by card).

I read an article That Sweden will be the first cashless society

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Again its still not easier than saying bung 20s in and when we're out you bung another 20 in and so on and so on.

You'll have to have someone keeping note of all spends plus it'll mean the same person going to the bar every time.

I know there are ways round it but technology is meant to improve things and make them easier.
Bung 20s in yet not everything will come neatly to 20, so you still have to divvy up change. Using card can show how much is actually being paid. Plus we all have that one friend who never pays the round. Doing this way, everyone has to pay.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Not sure about the 'same person to the bar' bit. We often leave it to whoever is closest, simply hand over your card to them for swiping.

A detailed breakdown would be so much better. Just think, if your pints were £5.25 each, yet somebody else was paying £5.35 then that is SO unjust. You could work a spreadsheet clearly defining each drinker's correct and accurate contributions to the pool. All those 10ps would soon add up, after 50 or so rounds you get a free pint, you would have missed out had you simply lobbed in another score without detailed, accurate and precise accounting.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Bung 20s in yet not everything will come neatly to 20, so you still have to divvy up change. Using card can show how much is actually being paid. Plus we all have that one friend who never pays the round. Doing this way, everyone has to pay.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

No one divvys up change and everyone pays and there is very rarely anything left as it is normally given to the last cabby as a tip.

Not sure about the 'same person to the bar' bit. We often leave it to whoever is closest, simply hand over your card to them for swiping.

Normally we enforce the youngest which is a tradition I'm keen to carry on with given I was the youngest in our group for many years. Now we are often joined by sons who have come of age. Our rounds were normally over £30 so still would have required card holder to go the bar. Would probably get away with it £45 now.

BUT its still not easier than bunging £20 in a time and sending someone to the bar with it.

A detailed breakdown would be so much better. Just think, if your pints were £5.25 each, yet somebody else was paying £5.35 then that is SO unjust. You could work a spreadsheet clearly defining each drinker's correct and accurate contributions to the pool. All those 10ps would soon add up, after 50 or so rounds you get a free pint, you would have missed out had you simply lobbed in another score without detailed, accurate and precise accounting.

:ffsparr:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It would mean the end of playing poker around your mate's house. I can't see people flashing their phones to show how much they're putting in the pot.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
how is Swish different to Monza, Revolut, Transferwise, and a list of other banking apps from banks and start ups?

Not sure as I dont use smartphones. You just download the app, link it to your banking account (no mobile wallet bollocks), then to transfer money you just type someones phone number, the sum and push the send button, and the money instantly transfers. Completely fee and instant (which I think is the key) and created/run by the six Swedish banks. Norway got a similar thing called Vipps.

I have never heard of it before, so are the payments traceable ? Can a decent police force or sophisticated police network be able to crack any hidden payments etc..

Only works in Sweden and yes, the transfers are traceable though there is no way for the banks to prove why a transfer was made. Sure, if you are found with a kilo of heroin and they discover that people have been swishing you the police might see it as an indicator that you are not going to use that kilo all by yourself.

Definitely likely to be used to trace people for whatever reasons in the future, but right now the banks will be very lenient as they want people to give up cash. And as we all (should) know, banks run governments so they wont give a **** either.

I'm sure mobile payments will be the number one way of paying everywhere in a few years, there just needs to be one in each country (or a global one) that crush the competition, i.e. sort of like Google did in the search engine market.

The next step after that will of course be implanting a microchips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESx_ArqqS8

It will take some time before a majority of the global population is stupid enough to do that though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here