Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When were we last awarded an indirect free-kick in the oppo area?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We did see one last night, which went close.

It's a sad indictment of the teams dead ball abilities that you're going to have to define 'close'.

Did it stay in Yorkshire? :lol: :facepalm: :dunce:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a sad indictment of the teams dead ball abilities that you're going to have to define 'close'.

Did it stay in Yorkshire? :lol: :facepalm: :dunce:

It was right in the top corner (from Knockaert), but with insufficent power to trouble the keeper, who held it comfortably.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was right in the top corner (from Knockaert), but with insufficent power to trouble the keeper, who held it comfortably.
Ah the newbie, that'll explain it.
He'll soon learn the Albion way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ah the newbie, that'll explain it.
He'll soon learn the Albion way.

He took a corner last night, after about 20 minutes, which was headed away by the first man, and someone shouted "For ****S SAKE. he's only been here 4 days and he's already shit at corners".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He took a corner last night, after about 20 minutes, which was headed away by the first man, and someone shouted "For ****S SAKE. he's only been here 4 days and he's already shit at corners".

:lolol: :bowdown: that man.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I remember one at Millwall away a few years ago. I can't remember if it was in the paint pot or league.

We were all a bit confused at the time as we were given a free kick some way out of the box, but the ref then picked the ball up and marched it forward another 10 yards taking it into the box. It looked like it was due to back chatting the ref, but remember find out later it was encroachment of the wall after a couple of warnings. Seem to remember we wasted the opportunity anyway

Good memory of an event over fifteen years ago (although it was actually at HOME to Millwall, in the 1st round of the Worthington Cup, and Paul Watson scored from it!) - Albion lose in cup tie

Albion lost to 2nd Division Millwall at Withdean Stadium last night before a crowd of 6039.

The Seagulls went 1-0 down on 39 minutes but were back on level terms after the referee used a new ruling being trialed in the Worthington Cup this year where if the defending team obstruct the play and contest the referee's decision, the play will be moved forward 10 yards. By using this rule, the free kick moved towards the penalty spot. Paul Watson stepped up to blast the ball home to see the Albion finish the half 1-1.

The second half saw few chances for either team, but on 53 minutes Livermore scored what turned out to be the winner scoring from an acute angle from the left side of the penalty area.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
We've had one at the Amex.

24 August 2013
Tom Heaton sent off for Burnley for releasing the ball then picking it up again.
2nd yellow after he should have seen a straight red for his lunge on Buckley in the first half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9GRbQC9cBk

Last edited:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Good memory of an event over fifteen years ago (although it was actually at HOME to Millwall, in the 1st round of the Worthington Cup, and Paul Watson scored from it!) - Albion lose in cup tie

Crikey, It's times like this that I realise just how long I have been watching the Albion. I also feel old as initially went 'what I would have only been 9' before realising I was actually 14

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

24 August 2013
Tom Heaton sent off for Burnley for releasing the ball then picking it up again.
2nd yellow after he should have seen a straight red for his lunge on Buckley in the first half.

I'd forgotten how good we were back then

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I remember one at Millwall away a few years ago. I can't remember if it was in the paint pot or league.

We were all a bit confused at the time as we were given a free kick some way out of the box, but the ref then picked the ball up and marched it forward another 10 yards taking it into the box. It looked like it was due to back chatting the ref, but remember find out later it was encroachment of the wall after a couple of warnings. Seem to remember we wasted the opportunity anyway

No surprise there, then.......

April 2002
Richard Carpenter buried one from about six yards out at Colchester, hoping it hit a CU player on the way in. The ref said it did. "4-1 to the one-man team" we sang to a Zamora-less Albion that day.

April 2003
There was the one on telly at Reading. The ref adjudged the keeper to have picked up a backpass. Zamora grabbed the ball, and quickly passed to Brooker, who scored - before Reading were ready.

It wasn't so much Zamora grabbing the ball, as the Reading goalkeeper rolling it towards him, in just the right place for the kick to be taken.

Hilarious.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It wasn't so much Zamora grabbing the ball, as the Reading goalkeeper rolling it towards him, in just the right place for the kick to be taken.

Hilarious.

The keeper threw it away. Brooker kicked it back to Zamora.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

24 August 2013

A lunge which the Burnley match reporter said was a dive by Buckley.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's coming on, he's coming on, he's coming. Kitson's coming on. :lol:

What a night that was against the odds!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So obstruction is still to be penalised, and another one, the six second rule, is also ignored by refs now.

There are four offences for which an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
• takes more than six seconds while controlling the ball with his hands before releasing it from his possession
• touches the ball again with his hands after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player
• touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
• touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

There four offences for which an indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee:
• plays in a dangerous manner
• impedes the progress of an opponent
• prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
• commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or dismiss a player

... according to that paragon of virtue, FIFA.

Is the 6 second rule still going? I thought it had been scrapped and it was now down to the refs if a keeper was time wasting with the ball in hands? Well that's what many seemed to say a while back....?!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

24 August 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9GRbQC9cBk

Such terrible refereeing that. So very clearly looking to 'make up' for his mistake of not showing a straight red in the first half. That second yellow is an utterly ridiculous decision.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I remember one at least. But not who, when or where. sorry for the pointless post but its my lunchbreak :(

April 2003
There was the one on telly at Reading. The ref adjudged the keeper to have picked up a backpass. Zamora grabbed the ball, and quickly passed to Brooker, who scored - before Reading were ready.

Thats the b*stard!! :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here