Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When we were proper S**T

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
half time in that game was my lowest point... was it Boxing Day? Am sure it was in or around christmas

Another lowlight was the wally with the brolly in the Plymouth end as they tonked us ....

Was it about this time that Millwall got their new ground? I was green with envy at the time :shrug:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
One of the most depressing I recall was losing to Exeter or Torquay or someone, probably Orient IDK, we were just terrible. We left the ground with a few minutes to go whilst losing, only to hear them score another as we wandered down Toronto Road, what a rotten game.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was it about this time that Millwall got their new ground? I was green with envy at the time :shrug:

Think Millwall already had their ground, as it was one of the options when we were looking for a groundshare. I remember I did the drive to see what it would be like.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I don't think Gillingham was that bad to be honest. A lot of the people I've chatted to who tell me it was s**t, either never went or only went a handful of times. If you had a season ticket the coaches up there were free, and even if you didn't it wasn't expesnive to get the coach or get in to the game. I always thought there was good banter on the coaches. I liked standing behind the goal and thought for such small crowds we were pretty vocal. I'm not some saying it was brilliant, it was a bit of a pain and tiring but i had some good days there with my mates.

Coaches that sounds very grand, we had season tickets and had buses from the depot and were lucky if they had a reliable engine
.Lowest point watching the bus in front catch fire, highest point the camaraderie and fish and chips when we got there.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We had season tickets, I don't recall how many times we went, and It's mostly erased from memory, as is most of the late 90's TBH!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That 0-0 vs Doncaster at Gillingham on Valentines Day 1998 still has me waking up in the early hours occasionally, drenched in sweat, with piss-soaked sheets - officially recognised as the singlemost abysmal game of Association Football ever played in post-war history (UEFA have acknowledged this on their website). Both sets of fans left the scene traumatised. I went with my dad, and can vividly recall the haunted dead look behind his eyes, as though he had just witnessed some awful atrocity. We have never spoke of it since.

The next programme (home v Chester, won 3-2) carried a phone number next to the Doncaster match report, offering counselling "if you were affected by the events of the last home game". That evening my finger hovered over the dial, but it just felt too soon.

Too soon.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Coaches that sounds very grand, we had season tickets and had buses from the depot and were lucky if they had a reliable engine
.Lowest point watching the bus in front catch fire, highest point the camaraderie and fish and chips when we got there.

I don't know why I said coaches, because in my head i was picturing buses. I think I was probably on the same bus as you, as I remember that bus in fornt catching fire. Happy days.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
This is the one game that sticks in my mind from those heady days at Gillingham
Happy Anniversary
5f5cba166c1ccc1db72dcf1aa2facf21.jpg

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

And mine. That evening we took being ‘****ing useless’ to a whole new level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
That 0-0 with Doncaster was one of the lowest ebbs, think I was 21 at the time and genuinely thought at the end of that game, what the f**k am I doing here. Saying that though, I look back on those times with some fondness, forged some lovely long term friendships and it shaped my way of thinking not just of football, but in some life aspects as well. It makes the Bloom era just so enjoyable, as I've known and experienced what the alternative was.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Millwall cup game…went 1-0 Jamie moralee, ended up losing 5 or 6 one

Keith dublins wife and kids were sat next to me and the racist shit they took that night from their “ fans” middle aged warriors was just horrible. The stewards did absolutely nothing about it!

I knew I hated millwall and everything they stood for and that experience stuck in my memory banks right until this day.

Only graced Priestfield once and the game was so memorable that I can't even recall who the opposition where, only that we lost 0-1. Perhaps if I find a results list from that period it will jog my memory.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
One of the most depressing I recall was losing to Exeter or Torquay or someone, probably Orient IDK, we were just terrible. We left the ground with a few minutes to go whilst losing, only to hear them score another as we wandered down Toronto Road, what a rotten game.

Was that the game when we lost 0 - 4 to Torquay?

They had a player called Rodney Jack who tore us apart.

One of my worse experiences ever watching the Albion.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For me it simply has to be the 0-4 v Darlington on my birthday.

Think Gabbiadini might have even bagged a hat trick at something ridiculous like 53 years of age.

That has to be the lowest of the lows for me too, I think. 0-4 at home to Darlo and an ex Palace striker scoring a hat-trick. Mind you, the 0-0 v Doncaster on 'Heart of Football' day has to be the worst game I've ever seen. Oh, and Ashley Neal must be the worst player to have ever appeared in an Albion shirt.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
half time in that game was my lowest point... was it Boxing Day? Am sure it was in or around christmas

Another lowlight was the wally with the brolly in the Plymouth end as they tonked us ....

Yeh, Boxing Day and raining at half time. Pretty grim moment. Scoring 3 goals and then getting and incredibly soft penalty awarded in our favour in the next half was quite the turnaround in emotions!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
For me it simply has to be the 0-4 v Darlington on my birthday.

Think Gabbiadini might have even bagged a hat trick at something ridiculous like 53 years of age.

To be honest, there were SO many game back then and beyond for a few more years that watching Brighton at times was an embarrassment.

The 0-4 was a shocker, but I could list dozens more that I saw, home and away, that were nearly/equally as crap as that game :facepalm:

Just as well we have moved onto bigger and better things nowadays :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here