Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When was the last time we POACHED a manager ?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I guess poaching requires an element of surprise.
It takes us so long to appoint a manager they're usually hard boiled by the time they arrive.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
I remember (about 10 years ago) dick knight saying we don't poach managers because it's unethical, often causes a waterfall effect which disrupts many clubs.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
pot.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's because we are seen as a small seaside town team who have ambition but no real money! That is why we will never attract the biggest names. I suppose mark McGhee is the biggest name we have had in recent times, or Gus, as McGhee went on to manage an international team. But again, he could have done with money to push on but we all knew the withdean factor.

Yes hughton has pedigree, but I see his career on a downward curve rather that an upward one...not taking anything away from him keeping us up in this division against the odds.

I think we should POACH Sam Alladice from the Shams.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Then theres a chance to bring in big kloppers. Hes available in the summer, plays very fast attacking entertaining football.
could bring reus and hummels with him from dortmund, ( aswel as others ), and most importantly , he shows passion.
make it happen toney.:smokin:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When was the last time we got a new manager from a different club rather than one that is on the scrap heap ?
etc, etc.
Why for once can't we go for a manager who is actually having success at the time instead of one proved to be no good like Hughton sacked from his last job ?
A vast majority of managers DO get sacked at some point in their career; it goes with the territory.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I'm still Team Houghton. Some of the managers on the list were very good in fact so it is more than possible to find a good manager not currently working. Gus was an exceptional manager for us, also Micky Adams (1st time), I always liked Coppell, Wilkins to an extent and Steve Gritt did an awesome job

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Warbuton would be good for us , but we have to give Hughton a chance.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm still Team Houghton. Some of the managers on the list were very good in fact so it is more than possible to find a good manager not currently working. Gus was an exceptional manager for us, also Micky Adams (1st time), I always liked Coppell, Wilkins to an extent and Steve Gritt did an awesome job

So who were on this " list" and of those who would realistically want to come here?

We have many people seemly in the know about various activities in the club and it will be interesting to hear who was on the list......

...the floor is yours.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
A lot of the managers who were poached from us would no longer be considered if they ever tried to get back.
Don't like the idea of poaching in principle but in practice it's a bit of a gamble that can make you look like big time charlie's if it does not pay off.
Apart from that we're not quite poaching material like Real Madrid are we?

Trevor

NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
So who were on this " list" and of those who would realistically want to come here?

We have many people seemly in the know about various activities in the club and it will be interesting to hear who was on the list......

...the floor is yours.

Ah sorry, By the "list", I just meant the list of ex-Brighton managers quoted at the beginning of this thread

Trevor

NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes

...the floor is yours.

Ah sorry, By the "list", I just meant the list of ex-Brighton managers quoted at the beginning of this thread

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Ah. Ok...misunderstood!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
2 years ago we poached a manager who had just coached in his first season a side who he took as league winners, to the Champions League.
So. There you go. 2 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here