Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When was the last time the Albion won a game they should have lost?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Becoming a regular occurrence now.

Not sure Birmingham deserved to win. You could put an argument for a draw but I think we deserved to win as Stockdale only made one real save and we battered them after the goal. They hardly got out of their half. I honestly think we deserved to win in the end despite being poor for 75/80 minutes as Birmingham rarely threatened and we really had a go late on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure Birmingham deserved to win. You could put an argument for a draw but I think we deserved to win as Stockdale only made one real save and we battered them after the goal. They hardly got out of their half. I honestly think we deserved to win in the end despite being poor for 75/80 minutes as Birmingham rarely threatened and we really had a go late on.

Birmingham had four chances, one hit the post, one went in, one was saved well by Stockdale and one brilliant goal saving header from Duffy, all this before we threatened at all. We could not have complained at all if we had lost. We mugged them in the end as our equaliser knocked the stuffing out of a team who had run themselves out by then and chose to try and sit on the lead. Sound familiar from last season?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Birmingham had four chances, one hit the post, one went in, one was saved well by Stockdale and one brilliant goal saving header from Duffy, all this before we threatened at all. We could not have complained at all if we had lost. We mugged them in the end as our equaliser knocked the stuffing out of a team who had run themselves out by then and chose to try and sit on the lead. Sound familiar from last season?

But the game is 90 minutes. We scored twice and had one off the line. In the first half Knockaert might have done better with a shot early on (which was a threat) and it looked like we could have had a penalty with their player hauling down Duffy in the area (although I've not seen a replay).

Agree that our first goal completely changed the game. Birmingham didn't get out of their half after that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But the game is 90 minutes. We scored twice and had one off the line. In the first half Knockaert might have done better with a shot early on (which was a threat) and it looked like we could have had a penalty with their player hauling down Duffy in the area (although I've not seen a replay).

Agree that our first goal completely changed the game. Birmingham didn't get out of their half after that.

I'd forgotten that, both Dunk and Duffy looked to have decent penalty appeals turned down

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Similar to Derby (h) 2-0 was the 2-0 against QPR at the Amex a couple of years ago (Harry wasn't happy at being mugged)

This is the one I thought of, but QPR sort of played into our hands and Lualua would run at and beat Barton every time.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

It should have been 1-1 after about a minute. Knocky should have crossed for a tap in. Just as bad miss as their shot on the post.

I thought we had the edge until Stephens lost the ball in midfield, and then we raised our game like we do at home.

Knocky was signalling for March to put he ball in the space quite a few seconds before March was able to find him. We got lucky that Birmingham were not alert.

I think their substitutions were disadvantageous for them as the new players could not get up to pace.

I think we were crying out for either guile (achieved), pace, skill or strength to break through their defence.

I was thinking of last seasons opener against Forest, when the extra pace of Lualua and shot with his left peg got us the three points.

Or the semi-final against Palace when I thought we needed Lualua and Poyet brought on Barnes and Speroni tipped the ball on to the post.

I only had us 60% at getting the equaliser after they scored. And 10% of that because of the bad luck of Kuszczak.

PS: I think that low scoring Derby will get a nap hand declared against Birmingham after Christmas.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Birmingham had four chances, one hit the post
Shouldn't that have been pulled up for hand-ball when they caught the ball on the half way line?

and one brilliant goal saving header from Duffy
Wasn't Stockdale in goal? It stopped Stockdale having to make a save, not sure it was a goal saving header.

all this before we threatened at all.
Knockaert's shot in the first 5 minutes was pretty threatening. If he'd held onto it for a split second and squared it, we'd have probably scored.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd forgotten that, both Dunk and Duffy looked to have decent penalty appeals turned down
I forgot the Dunk one too - by the letter of the law, that was a pen, as had been given at the start of the season in the PL. One of those that you wouldn't have expected to get in the past.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Before the game we had 8 or 9 players out injured/suspended. Southampton were flying. It wasn't that we deserved to lose, it was prior to the match no-one gave us an earthly - not even the most ardent Albion fan. As it turned out it was our best performance of the season.

Remember that well.

We were massively helped by Lambert getting sent off though - that was the game which made me realise how overrated Adkins was as a manager. They literally had no idea what to do after he had gone off and we absolutely murdered them.

That was Steve Cook's only start I think. He looked really good - wonder what happened to him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here