Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] When was the last cheque that you wrote?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Mine was about 4 years ago to a society a little behind the times . The last time that I received one was a win on the premium bonds about 6 years ago . Are premium bonds still using cheques ?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I have NEVER written a cheque. That reminds me, I do have a collection of unusued chequebooks from 10+ years ago, which I'm going to chuck out in a minute now that you've reminded me.

Last cheque received was a tax rebate from HMRC, which I cashed in using my banking app - which was surprisingly considerably more convenient than having to give them all my bank details.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Can't remember. It's a long time ago. However, they are still in use... I get a cheque every two months (pay for self-employed work) and on my birthday/Christmas a cheque from my dad as a present.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Mine was about 4 years ago to a society a little behind the times . The last time that I received one was a win on the premium bonds about 6 years ago . Are premium bonds still using cheques ?
Oh a lot longer ago than that. From memory it might have been for the balance on a car at dealers in 2010?

If I've still got a cheque book? it's up in the loft somewhere after moving in 2014?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mrs Jakarta used to be Treasurer of local Flower Arranging club and all the old dears would submit their annual subs via cheque.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
April 2022 to Brighton Council. Payment for a licence to place items on the pavement. Before that it was April 2021 and before that April 2020.
They went digital in 2023 enabling bacs payments.
Now fax machines, well that is different. Company I buy from moaned last year when I stopped using a fax. They prefer an order on a piece of paper.
I'm also old enough to remember when any payment on a card was swipped through a machine by hand and then the manager had to phone up for clearance.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
or trust them to honestly write their address / contact details on the back in case it was returned unpaid ....
I wrote a cheque at a local art show about five years ago - and it was over £50. They took it on the basis (and I quote) 'you're a known person'. I think they meant I was well-known locally (I was on the town council at the time) - and therefore they either would be able to track me down, or was considered trustworthy!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think the last cheque I wrote must be over 10 years ago and probably much more. Received a cheque last year as a refund for something and to pay into my bank I just had to take photos of the cheque then upload them in the app. Money appeared in my account.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So long ago, it was probably written with a quill pen

Last one received like many on here was from HMRC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here