Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When tax credits F#?k you over for their mistakes!

jamesp

Feb 23, 2011
Penrith Cumbria
Hey all, wonder if there is anyone with experience of child and working tax credits?
Today we received a letter from them saying all payments stopped blah blah blah since April last year (although we were paid all of last year) and we would have to repay any over payment! We have received payments as our award notice stated and have always given all the info asked for on time and accurately! Surely if it is their mistake...............:annoyed:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Unfortunately under english law no individual is allowed to profit from a mistake of fact. Their argument, no matter how unfair, is that if you were being paid when you shouldn't, regardless of the responsibility for the error, you still owe it. Sorry. :(

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
If they've overpaid you and it's their mistake or yours you have to pay it back, I got a letter in November saying the dwp had made an overpayment of £900 odd in 1997 so off I went to the cab who did some digging and despite the fact the dwp couldn't even find my file or the paperwork I have to repay it out of my carers allowance now despite the dwp/tax man having all of my details since the "overpayment" was made :angry:

Best bet is to get down your local cab with all the documentation you have :thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Although both the posters above are factually correct, the way to deal with the tax credits overpaying you is to ignore them. Tax credits overpay people EVERY year, and every year there are always some hard luck stories like yours in the papers, and eventually the tax credits cave and say they will not be pursuing any of these claims. This has happened every single year for as long as this wonderful source of income has existed.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Although both the posters above are factually correct, the way to deal with the tax credits overpaying you is to ignore them. Tax credits overpay people EVERY year, and every year there are always some hard luck stories like yours in the papers, and eventually the tax credits cave and say they will not be pursuing any of these claims. This has happened every single year for as long as this wonderful source of income has existed.

My ex mrs was overpaid years ago, we both signed the forms as we had to, but the money was always paid into her account. She moved back to England and i was informed that i was liable because she had left the country (even though she was still in the uk), i ignored it, havent heard anything for ages now!

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Same thing happened to me about 3 years ago, and still haven't paid it back yet.

When it came to renewing as I wasn't claiming anymore and id stopped all payments completely we got renewal through and binned it, so I wasn't aware I had to send it in if i wasn't claiming?

Anyways, they sent letters but now the most recent I've got from them regarding it was more than a year ago so I think they've given up lol.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
My brother in law was overpaid by £32000 according to them despite notifying them of his circumstances. It was their error but by challenging the amounts and going to the financial ombudsman we have got it down to £6000 and we have not heard from them for nearly a year. Keep writing to them insisting it was their fault and ask them to confirm the amount each time. Each time the amount changes query it again (it changed about 15 times for my brother in law) asking how can they be sure it is now correct. We have not heard from them for almost a year so they have either given up or lost the paperwork (they admitted to the ombudsman that some of the paperwork was missing). Only if they persist and insist the amount is correct do you ignore the letters.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
A few years ago they sent me 14 individual cheques (on the same day) totalling just over 3500, it got put in a high interest account for a year and a half until they asked for it back!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Going off at a slight tangent just a word of warning if you are in receipt of Working and/or Child Tax credit. You are not entitled to claim free NHS dental treatment unless you have met certain conditions and have been issued a Tax Credit Exemption Certificate (card). You will know if you have one as it looks like a white credit card with the usual blue NHS logo. The tricky bit is that all the literature still persists in calling it a certificate when it is just a white card. If you have a partner and they were included in the original assessment you will each have your own card.

I would hate a fellow Albion fan to get caught out and have to repay the NHS charges and get walloped with a civil fine of up to £100.

BHADAZ

Sep 10, 2011
lancing
its because they pay it in advance so tey pay you for the year ahead based on last years wages so if you happen to earn more than last year you have then been over paid and have to pay it back. we have found if you tell them you have earned more than you did it solves this problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here