Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When keepers could pick up back-passes...

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I’ve always been a bit in 2 minds about that rule change - it was ludicrous to see players time wasting just stood in the area waiting and then kicking it back to the keeper to pick up. However in the madness of melee’s in the area under pressure, managing to get it back to the keeper to dive on seemed a good part of defence. Nobody I know who can’t remember the old rule wants them brought back though !!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Much the same number of back passes as us now - except our keepers don't pick it up. They didn't really show the time-wasting ones - many of these were safety passes rather than those pointless to-ing and fro-ing they used to do.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I remember the change well. It was madness at first with lots of goalies screwing up and giving up free kicks right in the box. But after a couple of weeks pretty much everybody had adapted.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Much the same number of back passes as us now - except our keepers don't pick it up. They didn't really show the time-wasting ones - many of these were safety passes rather than those pointless to-ing and fro-ing they used to do.
The difference is that the attacking players don't either bother putting the keeper under pressure when they have the option to just pick it up. There's simply no point. When they can't pick it up, there is a least some benefit to rushing at the keeper and hoping he screws up clearing the ball, or even completely fails to clear the ball.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The difference is that the attacking players don't either bother putting the keeper under pressure when they have the option to just pick it up. There's simply no point. When they can't pick it up, there is a least some benefit to rushing at the keeper and hoping he screws up clearing the ball, or even completely fails to clear the ball.
Indeed yes - it is far better now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Very rare to see it today, happens maybe once a year that I indirect free-kicks given due to the goalie picking up a back-pass. Still remember from my early days of football when Patrik Andersson gave Bayern the Bundesliga title with this goal:

Wonder if there's statistics somewhere how many free-kicks that has been awarded due to backpasses in recent years. Struggle to remember it happening in the Premier League for at least the last ten years but must have happened a couple of times?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very rare to see it today, happens maybe once a year that I indirect free-kicks given due to the goalie picking up a back-pass. Still remember from my early days of football when Patrik Andersson gave Bayern the Bundesliga title with this goal:

Wonder if there's statistics somewhere how many free-kicks that has been awarded due to backpasses in recent years. Struggle to remember it happening in the Premier League for at least the last ten years but must have happened a couple of times?

I remember the days when GK would hoof (kick) the ball, by passing 20 players and end up in the oppos GK arms.
Magical days :wink:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

Yeah, don't remember the last time I saw it.

The resulting free kick rarely came to much since teams would usually line up all 11 players on the goal line and there was often not enough space to really dip the ball over them.

Jul 7, 2003
That rule change changed own goals. One of my finest was a volley from 40 yards out trying to pass back to my keeper but I hit it so sweetly it flew into the top corner.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
One of the best rule changes to be made in our game IMO.
Stops the time wasting.
It wasn't and issue for a long time, but then it seemed to suddenly become a major part of the game where they were back passing from the halfway line with the crowd jeering. I remember Jimmy Hill doing his nut about it on match of the day. It reminds me of woooing in tennis, never an issue and then all of a sudden I am watching women's tennis with the sound off.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I was sure I was still playing when the rule came in but my career ended with a knee ligament injury in 1988.
Must have been another rule change I was thinking of or just old age playing tricks.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Remember Dean Wilkins scoring from an indirect free kick routine caused by a picked up back pass when the rule first came in. Sure it was against Leicester, around 91, why I remember this now I have no idea, but know it was one of the first games I went to.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
For a few more years you could still throw the ball back to the keeper and it could be picked up. The thrower became quite clever at dummying to throw the ball down the line and then quickly turning and throwing it back to the keeper. Then it was banned.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
One form of time wasting banned but new ones used now which still kill the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here