Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] WHEN IS AN ASSIST NOT AN ASSIST?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I'm not sure when it came into common parlance in football but as a kid in the 90s we'd always talking of "setting up" goals, not assisting. I reckon fantasy football (the show and the games") brought it into the lexicon.

Fairly, sure it's been used for decades in basketball though. John Stockton was King of the Assist long before Mesut Ozil.
I'm pretty sure the whole concept of fantasy sports is an American invention, starting with baseball. So yeah, American sports certainly had the concept of "an assist" (but not, obviously in baseball) for many, many years.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I know Skalak is most famous for his genius garden furniture based Brighton celebration, but I really liked a shoddily done photoshop job, I guess he did, of his face on the body of a call centre person with the line, 'Hi this is Skalak, how may I assist you'. He posted it after one of his sublime crosses led to a goal.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Ice hockey's policy is that there can be up to TWO players credited with an assist, and I believe our first Albion goal is an example of why it is necessary in the Premier League.

Lallana has to get an assist because the cross was played to him, he chose to dummy the ball which gave Welbeck a far easier chance.

You already have analysts monitoring xG, which in my opinion is even more subjective and ambiguous that assists. VAR is not an exact science either. I'm also mindful that in baseball they have analysts monitoring every fielding play to determine what is a hit, what is an error or - sometimes - a combination of both.

If you had multiple assists then that would bring a lot more defenders into play, i.e. Dunk plays a 50-yard ball inside the full-back for Estupinan to run onto, he crosses for Ferguson who scores then - arguably - Dunk's ball was at least equal in skill to the other two involvements and deserves recognition.
Now this I like. So, for the Pascal Gross goal at Old Trafford, everyone gets an assist, yeah?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sorry, I’m not the person to ask. I think it’s quite a new stat as I don’t ever remember caring about who exactly sets up a goal. I agree with you about Lallana btw. A wonderful assist although he couldn’t have dummied it but for Adingra’s assist to his assist. Can’t remember who assisted Adingra to assist Lallana to assist Welbeck though.
Welbeck got the 3rd assist with his pass to Adringa. Veltman made the excellent pass to Welbz if that helps.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Ice hockey's policy is that there can be up to TWO players credited with an assist, and I believe our first Albion goal is an example of why it is necessary in the Premier League.

Lallana has to get an assist because the cross was played to him, he chose to dummy the ball which gave Welbeck a far easier chance.

You already have analysts monitoring xG, which in my opinion is even more subjective and ambiguous that assists. VAR is not an exact science either. I'm also mindful that in baseball they have analysts monitoring every fielding play to determine what is a hit, what is an error or - sometimes - a combination of both.

If you had multiple assists then that would bring a lot more defenders into play, i.e. Dunk plays a 50-yard ball inside the full-back for Estupinan to run onto, he crosses for Ferguson who scores then - arguably - Dunk's ball was at least equal in skill to the other two involvements and deserves recognition.
Dunk's passes to start that move was ignored. Dunk's pass to Lamptey for our 3rd against Utd was also ignored, not even mentioned, so morons think he never passes it more than a few yards & never to our wingers.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
To me an assist is a deliberate action to create a goal. Both Adingra AND Lallana should be considered for Welb’s goal. But the actual assist, IMO, came from Lallana for letting the ball run.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Now this I like. So, for the Pascal Gross goal at Old Trafford, everyone gets an assist, yeah?
Except Lallana again, I think he was the only player not to have touched the ball in the build up, though his positioning made space for Gross to collect Lamptey's assist.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't disagree. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Groß has something in his contract about the amount of chances he creates. He'll want to be recognised for it.
Different thing from an assist of course

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Ice hockey also has a policy of not having own goals - the goal is credited to the player on the scoring side who last touched it. So after one of those 20-pass moves that ends with a back pass to where the goalkeeper isn't (and it does happen in ice hockey too, occasionally!) then someone gets a very lucky goal credit.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You can't assist a goal if you've not touched the ball.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
If ever there was a case for a 'double assist' it was our second goal yesterday. Yes, Dahoud's tiny touch was key in setting up Mitoma to score but how much did Ansu Fati do to get it to that point?

I give up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here