Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] When did you last see a hedgehog?

big hilda

Feb 13, 2013
He’s a Pygmy hedgehog, bred in captivity. Did you know that Hedgehogs self anoint, stinks to hell so has regular baths, on his own👍🦔🦔

Bless, did you rescue him/her. Apparently hedgehogs are the gardeners friend as they eat slugs.

When I were a lad we had one regularly visiting and leaving deposits. We also had a rat problem so late dad (a country boy) set a cage trap for the them. No rats but several mornings running we found the local hedgehog in it looking puzzled and wanting to be let out. It eventually got the idea and avoided the trap.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Badgers are a major culprit, so they tell me. Badgers are the one animal strong enough to unroll a hedgehog and eat it. As the badger population explodes, the hedgehog population implodes.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I haven’t seen one where I live in North Wales since we moved here 17 years ago. We do have plenty of Badgers though so perhaps that’s why.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
In my garden in the summer. Both my cats watched as it trundled around by the patio doors. Neither looked like they wanted to play with their new acquaintance.
Squashed? On the roads within this last week. There must be more up this way. Roads are much more quiet.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I have a resident population here, my last dog, a collie, used to bring one into the kitchen. Buggered if I know how, I struggled to get the thing back out of the door!
It's nice having a garden that's a haven for wildlife

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
We fished one out of the canal during a boat trip in Tuesday, coincidentally.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Got 2 that live in the garden.....constantly digging up the daffodil bulbs....

Taken last week, My 6 year old grandson was so happy he had never seen a wild one.

sorry about the orientation...

IMG_3087.JPG

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I saw one about a week ago scuttling across the road when walking dog late at night, dog went ballistic nearly pulled me off my feet. We also found three under our old shed last year as we were chopping it up to burn

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Last winter we housed 8 (11 the previous year). They were released in the spring and a few turned up at the feeders for a while. But then they suddenly stopped and we have nor seen signs of any on the cam - just mice and the neighbors bleedin cat. No wonder our dogs (who incedently had got bored by the absence of hogs - another story) have become so interested in the feeding locations - thought they were turning vegan :lol:

But sadly we have toreport a massive decline here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Two nights ago, in my garden.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
obviously as if it had come over your back gate it would be a scottish person ....:wink:

Hedgehogs are good climbers. Mrs T saw one shin up a 6 foot wooden fence once.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve only ever seen one live hedgehog, we surprised it when turning on a light a couple of years back.

But they forage in our back garden nightly, as we get their poos on our lawn. When we had our fencing redone, we had special holes made so that they could continue to pass through between gardens.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Situation not as bad here in Sweden, I see hedgehogs weekly when they are active, though there's definitely fewer than when I was a kid.

Speaking of visible decline in nature though: when was the last time you had to wipe hundreds of splashed bugs off your car after a long trip?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here