Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When did we last sign a player from a Scottish club?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Dirk Lehmann springs to mind but I would imagine we've had a fair few since then!

The malaise of Scottish football is a consequence of the changing profile of our English football clubs, England and English football isnt fairing too much better either.

Up until the 1990's English football were awash with Scots, from kitman, coaches, managers, players, scouts with a healthy smattering of Irish too.

In many ways these became the power brokers in terms of recruitment and retention, they inevitably used their trusted confidante's in the process, nearly always fellow scots or Irish to drive decisions on players opportunities.

Of course nowyou have a United Nations of nationalities within a football club and the inclination not to look beyond only the very best in these countries means that opportunity has reduced for the good/solid Scots/Irish player that otherwise existed.

I doubt whether Cork or Glasgow was ever a hotbed of talent, moreso a hotbed of opportunity driven by their compatriots residing here in England.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Pretty sure Virgo was the same as Sandaza - signed on a free transfer, so not directly signed from a Scottish club. Smith was after him anyway.

Sandaza had left Dundee United before we signed him so was a free agent. Virgo was still under contract at Celtic when he signed for us in July 08, although was signed on a free transfer (he was originally signed by Celtic in summer 2005 on a four year contract).

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
On a similar note did we sell or loan John Crumplin north of the border? Or is my mind playing tricks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here