Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] When did this country become so cruel?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, yes that was what I was saying but not what some of the early posters were saying.

Purely accidental, but I’ll be having a listen now. I suppose the real question is “would @HWT approve?”
Flux of pink indians?

They rank towards the middle of my list of favourite bands with 'pink' in their name

Pink turns blue
Kissing the pink
Pink military
FOPI
Pink Industry
Pink Floyd

Obviously 'Pink' didn't chart

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
41% of UC claimants are in employment

Seems a strange generalisation
Low income does not equal eligible to entitlement to be in receipt of the benefit.
Each persons entitlement is is determined by individual circumstances.
A single person in full time work for example with no kids and no rent (maybe lives with parents, owns their own home) is not going to get anything as their income will exceed their entitlement

My understanding was that after these most recent rises the “AO” pay grades would fall into the category of being eligible for Universal Credit.

Having now looked at it myself, it seems more likely that it will only apply to those subject to “market rate” rent. Those whose rent is local authority subsidised, live with parents, or live in the very cheapest bits of England wouldn’t necessarily qualify.

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Just for clarity Thatcher and Thatcherism were not anti- state. In fact both were and are very pro a certain sort of very strong, active and interventionist state.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
My understanding was that after these most recent rises the “AO” pay grades would fall into the category of being eligible for Universal Credit.

Having now looked at it myself, it seems more likely that it will only apply to those subject to “market rate” rent. Those whose rent is local authority subsidised, live with parents, or live in the very cheapest bits of England wouldn’t necessarily qualify.
Too many variables to say all "AO grades would be eligible",
The AO grade may also not be single and may be part of a couple where both partners work and the joint income taken into account may exceed any entitlement even if they have rent and children.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yes, the country has fallen to its knees. An absolutely grim place now.

I think it is because a lot of people have very little money these days, and this puts them in a perpetual bad mood - which then results in cruel, selfish actions and opinions.
If that's the case, then surely virtually every other era in this country would have been far more cruel and selfish? People had far less money and possessions in every era pre-Thatcher, at least.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
did you see the wealthy philanthropists with your own eyes?
No, I told you. I have seen debates. Where are you going with this ? America is a country of wealth extremes. Parts of it are equivalent to developing countries. Many reasons for this and amongst them is a belief in Thatcher like low taxation in many states. I have made it very clear in previous posts that I was describing rather than supporting these facts so your interventions and lack of ability to process have been a little odd to say the least.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If that's the case, then surely virtually every other era in this country would have been far more cruel and selfish? People had far less money and possessions in every era pre-Thatcher, at least.
Far less money, but the relative cost of living was far less too.

I don’t think people have become more cruel, as human nature doesn’t change. Now, due to social media, we hear and see what’s going on, rather than just the local gossip, or newspaper versions of regional gossip.
Also, the notoriety of misdeeds being broadcast does encourage the more brain dead to seek publicity.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Banished in the US apart from the 38 million living in poverty……..

What is the definition of poverty?

Without reeling out the Four Yorkshiremen sketch, what does it actually mean?

A couple of years ago I went to see some people, I hasten to add good honest folk in part time work, who had the majority of their funeral bill paid for by the DWP, they had a nicely furnished flat, iPhones and ran a car, at no point did I see anyone without shoes, scruffy clothes, scabies etc.

Is there an actual poverty line in UK, that anyone below a certain level of income is classed as in the poverty trap?

Do some politicians use the word poverty as an emotive vote catcher?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A couple of years ago I went to see some people, I hasten to add good honest folk in part time work, who had the majority of their funeral bill paid for by the DWP, they had a nicely furnished flat, iPhones and ran a car, at no point did I see anyone without shoes, scruffy clothes, scabies etc.

Is there an actual poverty line in UK, that anyone below a certain level of income is classed as in the poverty trap?

household income less than 60% of the median income is what I believe the government use ……..which seems to be 19800 a year.

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
We have always had politicians on the right that encouraged indifference towards poverty but over the last 7 years we have seen people rise to high office who don't think twice about encouraging sadism and cruelty against specified and always vulnerable scapegoats. Also social media has enabled people to find content to legitimise these feelings and claim that they are the voice of a silent majority. It isn't unique to us and can be found in any of the countries with populist governments or with strong populist movements. What may be unique to us is the ease with which some people are prepared to swallow what they are told by people from a certain class. So, there is a lot of toxic stuff in the air at the moment and in the months before the election, it is going to get worse.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We have always had politicians on the right that encouraged indifference towards poverty but over the last 7 years we have seen people rise to high office who don't think twice about encouraging sadism and cruelty against specified and always vulnerable scapegoats. Also social media has enabled people to find content to legitimise these feelings and claim that they are the voice of a silent majority. It isn't unique to us and can be found in any of the countries with populist governments or with strong populist movements. What may be unique to us is the ease with which some people are prepared to swallow what they are told by people from a certain class. So, there is a lot of toxic stuff in the air at the moment and in the months before the election, it is going to get worse.
Fortunately we have you to put all these thick people on the straight and marrow

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Your sarcasm does you no credit.

Fortunately, there are a lot of caring people who have offered help and donations.
And nor does it the poster to whom I was responding, who showed the typical wokie feeling of moral superiority combined with arrogance to assume your view is superior to others. Would that also apply to you, I wonder?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And nor does it the poster to whom I was responding, who showed the typical wokie feeling of moral superiority combined with arrogance to assume your view is superior to others. Would that also apply to you, I wonder?
Anyone who uses wokie as a weapon, isn’t worth my time debating with.
Have a good evening.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you were poor, you lived in a poor area and everyone around you was poor so you were all in it together, now you see much more how the other half lives and the difference between top and bottom is greater.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

There is a flaw in the current definition used by Government, as it uses the median wage as the mark that you need to be x percentage below to be classed as in poverty. A couple of years ago the median wage figure fell, which statistically took thousands of people who were no better off, out of poverty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here