Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did NSC suddenly become so right wing?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Have posted on here for a while and it tends to be less domineeringly bully-boyingly bigoted compared to the Charlton and most other clubs' message boards, but in the past month I have noticed an astonishing turn to the right wing on here. If I'm not imagining it, is it (a) former hooligans/casuals/Unionists resurfacing now they think they can get a seat to the odd game from next season - and the odd barney with Championship rival firms - rather than the windswept Withdean experience, (b) people hit by the cuts turning on the weak targets like ethnic minorities and immigrants to blame for their own job/wage losses, (c) people annoyed with the perceived 'lefty' culture of Albion under the Ayattila and co, (d) people who have always been Tory and are now no longer scared to admit it, or (e) all of the above. Perhaps there should be a poll (poll, not Pole, don't panic Daily Mail readers). Which are YOU?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Oh, obviously this will inveitably quickly degenerate into an BINFEST. But it's one, I feel in the circumstances, worth having, within Mods' (site moderators not Phil Daniels') limits. IMHO.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always think of NSC as predominantly left wing, with quite a few who are equally capable of bully boy tactics as any of the right wing on here.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I always think of NSC as predominantly left wing, with quite a few who are equally capable of bully boy tactics as any of the right wing on here.

Good morning.
Have to agree with the above as I have always regarded NSC as leftie biased.Some of the 'discussions' get a bit heated....see the 'aren't students thick' thread where many over the top views are expressed by both sides,but generally I would say there is a leftie slant.If one side seems to be banging on ad infinitum,it sometimes encourages the troops from the other lot to wade in and have a go, with the resulting famous NSC Binfests.
All good fun and eventually everyone calms down a bit, until the next time.....at least we are all on the same side on Saturday afternoons;a sort of ceasefire rather like the Tommys and Jerrys on Christmas Day 1914.Then we go back to the trenches and have a go at each other!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The first six months of my life here in the Czech Republic...there was no government whatsoever...zilch...
I had no idea, and certainly didnt notice anything different when they finally formed one, and I still cant figure out now whether the government here is left/right or a mixture of both. Ignorance can be bliss sometimes...

The first six months of my life here in the Czech Republic...there was no government whatsoever...zilch...
I had no idea, and certainly didnt notice anything different when they finally formed one, and I still cant figure out now whether the government here is left/right or a mixture of both.

You live in the Czech Republic? You've never mentioned this before.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ever since the tories took over the lib/dems the right wing element everywhere have been more vociferous and that naturally brings the lefties out to play. It's not just on here.

With just a very few exceptions, most of our "contributers" are pretty middle of the road in reality - it's just the ability to hide behind a keyboard that enables people to push their opinions towards the extremes.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
When I first joined (not too long ago) NSC seemed to be fairly left leaning for a football forum. I would agree that it has certainly swung towards the right over the last 18 months.

One thing I do miss is the decent political debates - recently they have all degenerated to name-calling by page 5 or 6 (this is the fault of people of all political persuasions - I'm not blaming the more righty folks). Naturally there are some users that shout louder than others, making us NSC folk appear to be more left/right biased than that we, as a group, actually are.

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Try The Political Compass and take the test. I am slightly right-wing and slightly authoritarian, probably a lot less than some on here would believe. It's an interesting one to take. I get my students to do it in the first week of the Government and Policies unit - they tell me what they think they are, and then they do the test and see where they come out. They are never as extreme as they believe they are...They also take the British Citizenship test - and only two students have ever passed it, one of which was a second generation Bangladeshi. Always nice to let them see the wood for the trees considering how blinkered they can become in their first 16 years of life...

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.28

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I hope as i age i fail to become more right-wing as seems to be the trend with life itself. I haven't begun to dislike particular people from particular countries taking up too much of my god-earned space or tire of the emotional outpourings of homosexuals or feel that my unemployed neighbour has so much in their existence that is undeserved or that the smashing of a couple of windows and the burning of a poppy is a hangable or shoeable offence. I know i'll be able to take less in, be less open-minded, more sealed in my own lukewarm bubble, less understanding as my insides wilt and the hunger for survival burns brightest, but i hope time doesn't take all the care from me and make me rage unforgivingly at alternatives.
Maybe we're a little trapped in angry times and have to wait for them to pass.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
bothaxes.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here