Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When did modern life ‘defeat’ you?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I dont know any telephone numbers apart from

1) emergency services
2) local mincabs
3) 01 811 8055

You sir are a disgrace....................

8049 is the only number you needed to know

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Early 50s here.
Still use landline, smart phones to communicate with family via WhatsApp.
Go to live matches and music gigs.
Drink green tea.
Cinema goer, all things watched.
Haven't started talking to pigeons yet............

This sounds like dating site, swipe left/right :lolol:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm 40's, have an iphone, like apps etc, but Instagram/Snapchat just go way over my head. I can't see the appeal of them. Definitely steps too far into social media for me.

I have never had Netflix - instead, I like to watch old comedies on YouTube - Dear John, The Peter Principle, Laurel & Hardy, Hancock's Half Hour.

I haven't got any itunes purchases - I prefer CDs.

I was listening to R5 today and they were talking about education. I said to my wife - the days of going into a library reference section and finding information for yourself are long gone. Just one Google...and yes I'm totally guilty of it!

I do feel I'm at a point where i'm a bit Victor Meldrew about modern life, and want to hark back to a simpler life.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
*Sits back and waits for BensGrandad...*

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm 40's, have an iphone, like apps etc, but Instagram/Snapchat just go way over my head. I can't see the appeal of them. Definitely steps too far into social media for me.

I have never had Netflix - instead, I like to watch old comedies on YouTube - Dear John, The Peter Principle, Laurel & Hardy, Hancock's Half Hour.

I haven't got any itunes purchases - I prefer CDs.

I was listening to R5 today and they were talking about education. I said to my wife - the days of going into a library reference section and finding information for yourself are long gone. Just one Google...and yes I'm totally guilty of it!

I do feel I'm at a point where i'm a bit Victor Meldrew about modern life, and want to hark back to a simpler life.

You may like a YouTube type site called Daily Motion that carrries a lot of progs and doesn’t seem to have any of the copyright problems you can sometimes get with YouTube. All perfectly legal and easily googled and very easy to use.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still playing vinyl a fair bit, having looked after my record collection from years back. They sould great on a Rega turntable.

I have a Facebook account, but only glance at it once every 9 months or so. Having no intention of providing a boastful commentary on holidays, meals out and family achievements.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
When Spotify appeared and music became playlists rather than cds. Must check it out at some point.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
You may like a YouTube type site called Daily Motion that carrries a lot of progs and doesn’t seem to have any of the copyright problems you can sometimes get with YouTube. All perfectly legal and easily googled and very easy to use.

Thanks, sounds good, I'll take a look!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Still playing vinyl a fair bit, having looked after my record collection from years back. They sould great on a Rega turntable.

I have a Facebook account, but only glance at it once every 9 months or so. Having no intention of providing a boastful commentary on holidays, meals out and family achievements.

My Facebook feed has been blighted with this, a stream of photos each day from my friend's holiday. Not sure he realises that if his house gets burgled, insurance companies check Facebook and won't pay out if they see he's broadcasting the fact the house is empty.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thanks, sounds good, I'll take a look!

I recently watched all the Alan Partridge mid morning matters on there which are not available on YouTube and loads of other stuff that you cannot find elsewhere.
Also they weren’t in that annoying reversed screen format that sometimes get on other sites.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I recently watched all the Alan Partridge mid morning matters on there which are not available on YouTube and loads of other stuff that you cannot find elsewhere.
Also they weren’t in that annoying reversed screen format that sometimes get on other sites.

MMM is quality TV - that will be a must. That's my viewing sorted for my pre work coffee tomorrow - much appreciated for the tip!

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
My missus and I are both 40 something and regularly ********** together over FaceTime when one of us is working away.

Modern life ain’t so bad.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm 33 and have often been known as the grumpy old git in my social groups but I don't think modern life has 'defeated' me really. There are some things I just don't get like reality TV, dubstep, Snapchat, going clubbing and a bunch of others but life is what you make of it.

Some things baffle me and that's ok, I just don't do or consume those things. Not going to waste time worrying that life is passing me by; I'm going to enjoy what I enjoy.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm 33 and have often been known as the grumpy old git in my social groups but I don't think modern life has 'defeated' me really. There are some things I just don't get like reality TV, dubstep, Snapchat, going clubbing and a bunch of others but life is what you make of it.

Some things baffle me and that's ok, I just don't do or consume those things. Not going to waste time worrying that life is passing me by; I'm going to enjoy what I enjoy.

Exactly right - without feeling guilty for not following a trend.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Social media - I don’t use. But the pressure to is unrelenting I.e. Unless you’re recording your life, you don’t exist. It’s all so self promoting too, what we once called showing off. Which, we were taught, no one liked.

Genuinely wondering what you think NSC is? Not just aimed at you obviously, but there are a lot of voices on this thread with thousands of posts bemoaning social networking/media seemingly unaware of the irony of posting said complaint on a social network.

And yes, they still make Ovaltine.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Social media - I don’t use. But the pressure to is unrelenting I.e. Unless you’re recording your life, you don’t exist. It’s all so self promoting too, what we once called showing off. Which, we were taught, no one liked.

Technology - yes it’s great in so many ways, but increasingly I just can’t fathom much of it.

Yet the irony is you're using NSC, through technology, as a kind of social media with exactly this sort of post!

*Edit* see poster above me replied same thing while I was writing my post!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I’m declaring - mid forties for me!

Music - I haven’t got a clue about most acts in today’s top 40 and have decided to go backwards instead I.e. life’s short and there’s loads, simply loads of stuff from 80s, 70s and 60s that’s great/ I hadn’t discovered. And there’s this instrumental stuff called Classical that I’m increasingly enjoying. Chopin anyone?

Books - paper for me, I get advantages of Kindle etc but frankly, I’m happy to both wait and pay extra to potter round my local bookshop. It’s one of life’s pleasures and I feel lucky to still have one.

Television - I’m still watching it....which by its nature makes me a Luddite given online and streaming is where it’s at.

Cinema - I love going still but frankly, they’ve run out of ideas haven’t they? Unless you like Superhero’s.

Sport - I watch football live, as in, go to. On a Monday morning, this makes me a massive minority and, strangely, less knowledgable than the armchairs who toss statistics around like confetti in answer to everything. Including the game I went to!

Communication - I’m still calling friends and family and actually speaking to. Again, this is highly unusual behaviour apparently. No one uses their smart phones to actually talk with. Quaint is how one person recently described my continued use of a landline.

Games - It’s been a while since I learnt I was too slow to press so many buttons in coordination. I don’t just long for the days of Manic Miner, I quite like the idea of playing Board games again! Chess, Draughts or Ker Plunk anyone?

Technology - yes it’s great in so many ways, but increasingly I just can’t fathom much of it.

That old hippy slogan “stop the world, I wanna get off” feels more relevant than ever, modern life is going so fast seemingly that you’re eventually forced to, well, quit! Now, where can I get some nice slippers and do they still make Ovaltine? :)

Still not sure all of that qualifies you for a room at ''Dignitas''

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My Facebook feed has been blighted with this, a stream of photos each day from my friend's holiday. Not sure he realises that if his house gets burgled, insurance companies check Facebook and won't pay out if they see he's broadcasting the fact the house is empty.

Are you 100% certain he hasn't got a housesitter? Many people do especially if they have animals to walk/feed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here