When and why did you start supporting Brighton?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Saturday, 4th January 1975 Brighton - Leatherhead F.A Cup
Went to my first ever match (aged 8). Stood in the East Stand, got to throw the ball back to an Albion player & got a thumbs up!!
Doesn't matter that we lost 1-0, the icing on the cake was i'd never heard so many people swearing all at once before - I WAS HOOKED!!!

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
sneaked in second half as had been playing football in hove park against leatherhead in cup just got to the stand and leatherhead scored we lost 1-0

went a few weeks later against hereford we won 4-2 (1974 i think) i was ten

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
November 73 was my first game - I had moved down to Sussex from Warwickshire a couple of years before, and still considered myself a Birmingham City supporter.

I went along to the Goldstone with a mate who was a really keen Albion Fan, and went in the South Stand.

A couple of weeks later, we went again - and this time it was the North Stand.
I will always remember getting to the top of the North Stand steps, and seeing the pitch. From up there the sheer 'greenness' of it was amazing. I used to LOVE evening games there - Derby, Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Walsall. Great times.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Me 1963 aged 5 and my Sister 'Somptingull' was 1968/9 , Dad started just after WW2

PIC - Last game on the hallowed turf

PIC Me in bobble hat and holding rattle if you can spot !! chaparoned by Dad then the North Stand drew us in very soon after till the very last ever game.

Attachments

• img383.jpg
    img383.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 23
  • img660.jpg
    img660.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Followed dirty Leeds United as a young lad, then in 1974 my dad bought us both season tickets for the south stand. The first game of the season was the Albion v Palace, which the Albion won 1-0, with a goal from Ian Mellor. A crowd of 26000, not bad for a third division game.

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
My old man thinks we started going about 1994 and he remembers a game vs York where a goal in the last minute. Could be later then the date he gave me anyone know?

Edit: Think that could have been the rearranged game in 96?

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Went with my Dad in 1975 saw friendly vs Wolves, first league game was against Rotherham.

Now go with my Dad and my son.

I absolutely live for my football and since my son has got interested its like being reborn, just love sharing the moments with him and my Dad.

We are all so lucky.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jan 1976 - I was very lucky as I witnessed the Peter Taylor, then Mullery years, with crowds as high as 33,000+, and alot of success.

Many on here seem to have similarly got hooked in the 1970's.
I suspect a new wave of supporters are adopting the Albion now, due to the amazing Amex, Gus & the great team being assembled.

The floodit evening games hold a special magic. Just a month in, in Feb 1976, I remember us beating CP in a league game 2-0 midweek in front of 33,000, but no one else here ever mentions it! I remember an ugly little winger Peter Taylor who was their star, getting no joy, and facing mass abuse from a swaying & collosal Chicken Run. :lolol:

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Went to a couple of games in the mid 00's, will be honest only went because my friend was a STH and took me along. Having grown up in Kent, and moved all over the place due to work means that I've never had a "team" as such - I grew up following (as opposed to supporting) Spurs, through a family member playing for them in the 30's, although I've always looked out for the Brighton scores since seeing them play. Moved to Worthing in 2010, went to a few games last season, and got excited by it all. Managed to get to a few games this season too, though money is tight. Hopefully with a new job it will bring a Season Ticket next season. JCL, maybe, but in fairness, I pay my bit to the club whenever I can. Rip at me all you want, but a new person has to start somewhere yes?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Followed dirty Leeds United as a young lad, then in 1974 my dad bought us both season tickets for the south stand. The first game of the season was the Albion v Palace, which the Albion won 1-0, with a goal from Ian Mellor. A crowd of 26000, not bad for a third division game.

that was the first game I ever saw!!!!! ( in fact not knowing any better, i also followed leeds) are you me?

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The days of Wardy and Spider

First brought to the Goldstone in early '70s by an avid Arsenal fan (my uncle). I became really hooked when I was pressed against the back of a packed north stand barely able to lift my arms up and we made an incredible comeback against Shefield wednesday (didn't Eric Potts score against us?) wining 3-2. The atmosphere was electric and the noise was well...very loud indeed. I fell in love with the Albion and never shopped at Toys are Us.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
Went to a couple of games in the mid 00's, will be honest only went because my friend was a STH and took me along. Having grown up in Kent, and moved all over the place due to work means that I've never had a "team" as such - I grew up following (as opposed to supporting) Spurs, through a family member playing for them in the 30's, although I've always looked out for the Brighton scores since seeing them play. Moved to Worthing in 2010, went to a few games last season, and got excited by it all. Managed to get to a few games this season too, though money is tight. Hopefully with a new job it will bring a Season Ticket next season. JCL, maybe, but in fairness, I pay my bit to the club whenever I can. Rip at me all you want, but a new person has to start somewhere yes?

Good on you fella!! Ignore the people on this forum banging on about "JCL's". Its hardly glory hunting supporting Brighton & if the grupmy gits on here got what they wanted, there will only be 5000 @ Falmer every week!!! Good luck with obtaining a ST next year!!!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I started when I was 4, loved football just never supported anyone, my Dad was a Brighton fan, going to the Goldstone in the 70's/80's, so I guess that was quite infulential. Then I liked Bobby Zamora, and from then, as they say, the rest is history.

Dandyman

In London village.
Towards the end of the 1975/76 season. Went with school friends and stood on the old East Terrace (graduated to the North Stand later on).

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Me 1963 aged 5 and my Sister 'Somptingull' was 1968/9 , Dad started just after WW2

PIC - Last game on the hallowed turf

PIC Me in bobble hat and holding rattle if you can spot !! chaparoned by Dad then the North Stand drew us in very soon after till the very last ever game.
If Carlsberg did goals....probably one of the best goals at the Goldstone. 19 when I went to the Goldstone in 1958,Dec...played Sunderland and won 2-0...my one and only football club..pleased to say my son followed in the tradition...and two more fans on the horizon with my two great grandson.......ALBION!!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
My Grandad used to take my Nan when they were courting in the 1930's / 40's, I was 1st taken down to the Goldstone from the moment I was born (1970) but for the first 4 years I only saw the last 10 minutes from my pram / pushchair, as my Mum would take me shopping whilst the game was on, and then when the gates opened 10 mins before FT she would push me into the ground. First full game was in 1974, milk crate and me.

Never had a coice to be anything else (thankfully) blue and white blood. My kid's also never had a choice either now aged 18,13 and 10.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
My first game must of been about 1991. Went with my cousin and uncle. Was a 1-0 win over Plymouth. Gary O'Reilly in the last minute. Watched from the north west terrace and looked in awe at the north stand. Hooked after that day.

Funnily enough my first away game was Plymouth as well. When the away end was a open terrace. Kurt Nogan scored for us that day.

Last edited:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Started way back in the 70`s, First match was at the Goldstone V`s Swindon,we won 3-1 I seem to think.Went to most home games as a child in the South stand behind the goal,then as I grew into my teenage years,emigrated to the North stand and went to all the home games and a fair few away matches.Loved the Albion then and love them even more so now.Sussex born and bred who else could I ever support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports