Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When and why did football hooliganism stop?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Its moved with the times. (Millwall excluded) Firstly it is no longer trendy. Those who do wish to have a bundle usually have the oppositions main mobile contact numbers, and can arrange to sort it out in privacy, away from press and cops. It really has gone underground, and is no longer news.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Oh come on fella, the medical reports actually state

3 knife wounds due to accidents preparing corn beef sandwiches.
50 incidents head injuries due to banging heads on kitchen cupboard doors whilst making corn beef sandwiches.

He didn't dispute the reports, just asked where it happened.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It has, as stated above you will always have the odd skirmish, middle age men still thinking there kids trying to retain their youth.
You don't get running battles like back then.

You asked in the OP when did it STOP.

You should have asked " when did it calm down? "

It's obviously nothing like the mid/late 70s when Man Utd had thousands of fans running around on terraces and outside grounds.

But it hasn't stopped, as I said.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Wow, that's slipped under the radar, where did any of it happen?

I have no idea - never really understood the need to beat the shit out of someone or stab then for any reason, let alone football. I don't think it was my niece's priority to get the details of where the fights happened.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
It hasn't gone away completely, not at some clubs....I was surprised how "nice" the Brighton fans are...all a bit too friendly. What's all this bollox of clapping the away fans for their attendance when the attendance figures are announced??? Should be booing them and goading them and taking the piss...

There doesn't seem to be any derogatory songs against the opposing teams except Palace.

I've tried several times to get a piss taking song going in the North Stand and no ****er joins in...

Oh well, just all too sanitised these days.......

Unless it's Chelsea v the bin dippers or Chelsea v Sp*rs or Cardiff......

And when Chelsea came down the Brighton for the pre-season friendly they had some well funny piss taking songs against the Brighton fans...

I've been going to the footie since the 70's and the biggest thing to change footie is having to sit down.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Has it gone. I don't think so, just lower profile now. Social media/mobile phones has allowed the development of a sub-culture of violence associated with football clubs but away from the grounds. Young adults largely being priced out of the game has probably contributed to the non-development of successor generations.

If, or more likely when, football hits the rocks financially and stadia begin to crumble I would guess it would re-emerge inside grounds too.
t
Funny time to post after the virtuoso performance from F Troop last Friday.

Feb 14, 2010
Very odd thread given Brighton's record in the last couple of seasons. Brighton have caused trouble and been involved in trouble with Leeds away, Leeds at home, West Ham away, Wolves away, Spurs, Pompey, Palace and Millwall last week. They are just a few that I have heard about on the news or through friends. It's less reported at Brighton but its not gone away. The large crowds Brighton get at home also will dilute it and most will not know about it. Its the same up and down the country. If you go to an average Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal game then trouble is not a factor at all but they still have it going on as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it was roughly when we learnt how to walk upright, wasn't it?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Maybe there's less trouble at games now because most of the likely candidates have discovered they can digitally evapourate several thousand zombies, nick a car and rape women(digitally), have a quick (can't lose) battle with machine guns and grenades and visit outer space all in the same time it takes to watch a footie match and at half the cost.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Obviously hasn't stopped but the prospect of a few years behind the door for a few minutes shenanigans has understandably put plenty off.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I think it was roughly when we learnt how to walk upright, wasn't it?

I'm afraid some people still haven't, every club has its fair share of knuckle draggers who look and behave like they could be the missing link!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Money is the short answer.

As soon as Sky got the money rolling in, Chairman started building new or upgrading stadia, that investment got protected and wasn't going to be ruined by a load of hooligans fighting on camera for all the world to see.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
This my niece is a nurse at rsch she worked Friday ( millwall at home)night 3 stabbing and about 50 people with fighting injuries all football related she said it was a horrendous shift

Shocking if true, Millwall or Brighton using knives.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Early 90's
Cctv
It was gradual, but CCTV was the death of fistycuffs at footy, first in the grounds, mid to late 80's,.... followed by the streets in the 90's once they took hold there in big numbers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here