Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When all fit, who should be our starting CB pair?

Starting CBs?

• Greer and Hünemeier

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Greer and Dunk

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Greer and Goldson

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • Hünemeier and Dunk

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Hünemeier and Goldson

Votes: 31 16.6%
  • Dunk and Goldson

Votes: 115 61.5%

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thought Dunk and Goldson were excellent tonight against a good forward line. Goldson did make one mistake but was able to rescue the situation with his pace.

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its hard to see how you can drop Dunk or Goldson after getting a clean sheet against the league leaders away from home.

But Uwe and Greer can both step in and do a similar job if needed.

A great problem that CH has in the future.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Greer and Goldson. Probably only for a few matches, but enough for Greer to pass on some of his experience and no-how. Then Goldson and Dunk, with Uwe a very competent infill if needed.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Its a tough one, any one of those combinations would be a good choice. But on form throughout the season, i would have Greer and Hünemeier. Second choice would be Goldson and Dunk but i am glad Hughton is manager as he has a hard decision to make.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'd like to see some stats, so far Grrer and Goldson both prefer to play on the right side and Uwe and Dunk prefer the left side.

But maybe a decent pair would be able to adapt

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Stats please. Which partnerships have conceded more goals, what are the win ratio's?

Right now, would have to vote Dunk and Goldson because we've had 4 wins on the spin regardless of who is fit.

I've not got the goals conceded stats but the partnerships on a win lose and draw basis are as follows

Dunk & Greer played 12 won 5 drawn 6 lost 1 - 21 points (1.75 points per game average)
Greer & Hunmeier played 7 won 4 drawn 2 lost 1 - 14 points (2 ppg average)
Dunk & Hunmeier played 5 won 2 drawn 3 - 9 points (1.8 ppg average)
Dunk & Goldson played 7 won 4 drawn 1 lost 2 (1.85 ppg average)

Dunk & Hunmeier is the only partnership yet to lose. However Greer & Hunmeier and Dunk & Goldson have both won 57% of the games they've played in, Greer and Hunmeier have one less defeat and a better points per game average making that the best partnership on paper, but there isn't much to choose between any of the combinations we've used so far this season.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's one of those wonderful situations where, regardless of which combination I would be confident that we could keep the other side at bay. Haven't felt this confident in our strength in depth for a long time.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The advantages of the Dunk / Goldson combination is that they both possess decent pace and have height and physical presence. Last night this was particularly important against Hernandez who they kept very quiet. They are both comfortable on the ball as well.
The one thing that Greer brings that these two don't have is leadership qualities but this will come with experience. Being at the game last night I felt pretty comfortable that we would keep a clean sheet which is quite an accolade considering we were playing a team top of the league.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd go with Goldson and Uwe, mainly because Dunk can't concentrate well enough.

When Dunk is good he's brilliant, but sadly there is a mistake lurking when he switches off. Uwe seems steadier to me, although slightly slower.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I've not got the goals conceded stats but the partnerships on a win lose and draw basis are as follows

Dunk & Greer played 12 won 5 drawn 6 lost 1 - 21 points (1.75 points per game average)

Dunk & Hunmeier is the only partnership yet to lose. However Greer & Hunmeier and Dunk & Goldson have both won 57% of the games they've played in, Greer and Hunmeier have one less defeat and a better points per game average making that the best partnership on paper, but there isn't much to choose between any of the combinations we've used so far this season.
I've taken a look at the number of goals conceded per minutes played, the stats make "interesting" reading.

As a team we've played 6670 minutes and conceded 64 goals

Team average is therefore 104 minutes 13 seconds per goal

So how do individuals rank against the team average?

Dunk played 2524 minutes and conceded 24 goals
Goldson played 820 minutes and conceded 7 goals
Greer played 1923 minutes and conceded 21 goals
Hunemeir played 1212 and conceded 10 goals

So individually, for minutes per goal conceded, the players involved ranked:

1st Goldson = 117 mins 8 secs (12 minutes 55 seconds better than average)
2nd Hunemier = 113 mins 48 secs (9 minutes 35 seconds better than average)
3rd Dunk = 105 mins 10 secs (0 minutes 57 seconds better than average)
4th Greer = 91 mins 24 secs (12 minutes 49 seconds worse than average)

And what about partnerships?

Dunk / Goldson played together for 786 minutes and conceded 6 goals
Dunk / Greer played together for 1099 minutes and conceded 12 goals
Dunk / Hunemier played together for 531 minutes and conceded 3 goals
Goldson / Greer played together for 34 minutes and conceded 1 goal
Greer / Hunemier played together for 681 minutes and conceded 7 goals
Goldson / Hunemier have not played together

So as partnerships, for minutes per goal conceded, they ranked:

1st Dunk / Hunemier = 177 minutes 0 seconds (72 minutes 47 seconds better than average)
2nd Dunk / Goldson = 131 minutes 0 seconds (26 minutes 47 seconds better than average)
3rd Greer / Hunemier = 97 minutes 17 seconds (6 minutes 56 seconds worse than average)
4th Dunk / Greer = 91 minutes 35 seconds (12 minutes 38 seconds worse than average)

So there you have it, Dunk and Hunemier are statistically our best partnership.

Obviously this is very subjective, Greer may have played in tougher matches, but on paper it looks like he is the weak link.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Embarrassment of riches in this department now. Happy with practically any combo of the 4 starting.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They are the two currently playing and I believe they are potentially good enough to stay there if we got into the Premier League

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Embarrassment of riches in this department now. Happy with practically any combo of the 4 starting.

This, but after the last few games would stick with Dunk and Goldson - they've proved they're both good enough, and the longer they play together the better their understanding will get. Dropping either now would be harsh, Dunk seems to thrive on confidence so dropping him will probably send him backwards again now he's seemingly settled, and Goldson looks to me to be the best of the four (if not already, then potentially - could see him developing into England material, and he's got to be a potential future skipper for us). Greer or Uwe on the bench leaves us very, very strong.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
This is kind of a multi-faceted question. Based on the individuals themselves, Hunemeier and Goldson. But as someone rightfully pointed out, they haven’t played with one another yet.

Based on which duo has proved to be the best partnership this season… probably Hunemeier and Greer. I think the former’s experience in tandem with Greer’s leadership is more valuable than Dunk’s physical edge.

I'd really like to see Hunemeier and Goldson play together.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This, but after the last few games would stick with Dunk and Goldson - they've proved they're both good enough, and the longer they play together the better their understanding will get. Dropping either now would be harsh, Dunk seems to thrive on confidence so dropping him will probably send him backwards again now he's seemingly settled, and Goldson looks to me to be the best of the four (if not already, then potentially - could see him developing into England material, and he's got to be a potential future skipper for us). Greer or Uwe on the bench leaves us very, very strong.

Agreed. They have the shirt until one of them performs below par/is injured.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is kind of a multi-faceted question. Based on the individuals themselves, Hunemeier and Goldson. But as someone rightfully pointed out, they haven’t played with one another yet.

Based on which duo has proved to be the best partnership this season… probably Hunemeier and Greer. I think the former’s experience in tandem with Greer’s leadership is more valuable than Dunk’s physical edge.

I'd really like to see Hunemeier and Goldson play together.

I could definitely see Uwe and Goldson as the future 1st choice pairing, based partly on Greer's age and partly on the fact I reckon someone from the Prem may well come in for Dunk again in the summer.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Those stats are a bit simplistic, as they take no account of what happens at the other end of the pitch. Nor does it account for the quality of opposition.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The 2 currently playing have earnt the right to keep the shirt at the moment. If one is injured or suspended and their replacement plays well then that person would have earnt the right to keep it. All 4 are very good at this level. Personally I feel CG has all the attributes to be a top CB. Pace, strength, good in the air and has good passing ability

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here