Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When a skinhead walks down the street...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Right I am going to see how many on here were around in the 70's.

Albion play palace at selhurst. We were positioned in the away end which is where the Sainsburys is now. Burger van at the top of the open end. Nice bright sunny day. The end is filling up, we are singing and having a good time....three skins wander in from the top...brighton fans move towards them...all hell breaks loose as brighton fans defend on these 3 like a pack of hounds. They end up down the bottom of the stand...they scramble on the pitch..police help them up and then push them back into the stand where they take a beating again. Finally police realise what is going on...they are removed!

Anyone remember this?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
tumblr_m4irtcy8Tm1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

Feb 14, 2010
I remember being in the north stand when the skinheads, suedeheads, mods and punks had really had their day and when the casuals had taken over. But still there were a few of each knocking around. I particularly remember a couple of old school skinheads. No 9 hole DMs just the jumpers, Ben Shermans, long coat, side boards, maybe DM shoes. They looked the business, sharp and smart, no doubt into the old school reggae. Wonder what they are doing these days.

Feb 14, 2010
To go alongside Sussex by the Sea.. our pop song of choice could be.. (if you have a sense of humour)

Hey fatty bum bum, sweet sugar dumpling,
hey fatty bum bum, let me tell you something,
not because you are big and fat,
dont believe I'm afraid that
self is no recommendation.. I'm looking for creation..

well Stoke have a Tom Jones, I'd vote for this classic as our pop song of choice..from Carl Malcolm

macky

Dec 28, 2004
You are thinking pc roccos the shop dont think he sols clothing though?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I haven't seen a real life skinhead for years

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove

Albion play palace at selhurst. We were positioned in the away end which is where the Sainsburys is now. Burger van at the top of the open end. Nice bright sunny day. The end is filling up, we are singing and having a good time....three skins wander in from the top...brighton fans move towards them...all hell breaks loose as brighton fans defend on these 3 like a pack of hounds. They end up down the bottom of the stand...they scramble on the pitch..police help them up and then push them back into the stand where they take a beating again. Finally police realise what is going on...they are removed!

Anyone remember this?

I was a young man having a beer at that kiosk at the back of the stand when the Palace Whitehorse skins came in. The Bosun introduced themselves and Palace fled within seconds. I remember seeing one Palace bloke on the floor with one of the Bosun who was also a skin, standing on his head. Needless to say the Whitehorse never came in the away end again. This was the second humiliation they experienced that day. I don't know and have no interest is what happened at the pub in Selhurst a few years back. What I do remember from the day in the late 70's is all the Palace waiting outside East Croydon for the train to arrive. Although Brighton were let out the station one at a time, Palace were chased and ended up cowering and locking themselves in the modern pub with big glass windows that used to be on the opposite side of the road. When ever the internet warriors appear, they should be reminded about this proper rout. Different times but all true. I am pleased those days are over.

Feb 14, 2010
I was a young man having a beer at that kiosk at the back of the stand when the Palace Whitehorse skins came in. The Bosun introduced themselves and Palace fled within seconds. I remember seeing one Palace bloke on the floor with one of the Bosun who was also a skin, standing on his head. Needless to say the Whitehorse never came in the away end again. This was the second humiliation they experienced that day. I don't know and have no interest is what happened at the pub in Selhurst a few years back. What I do remember from the day in the late 70's is all the Palace waiting outside East Croydon for the train to arrive. Although Brighton were let out the station one at a time, Palace were chased and ended up cowering and locking themselves in the modern pub with big glass windows that used to be on the opposite side of the road. When ever the internet warriors appear, they should be reminded about this proper rout. Different times but all true. I am pleased those days are over.

I was never into the casual scene and liked the reggae of the skinhead / suedehead era but the Brighon West Street casuals also went in the palace end in the Kelvin Morton penalty game. The look of shock on the palace fans face! I was in the away end and the West Street lot were kicked out in front of us. But for me, the skinheads, suedeheads and mods just had more style and swagger. But the casuals seem to make the headlines these days, maybe because there are more photos from the 80's

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Yes I remember this; probably 1978, but there were more than 3 of them as I recall..I reckon about about 8 -10. I was down the front of the Whitehorse end and looking back up. As the skinheads came in the Brighton mob sussed them as Palace straight away (as I don't remember a lot of skins at the Albion at the time) and rushed across en masse. The skinheads legged it and I remember one of them getting knocked head first over a barrier and his boots up in the air.

Anyone remember this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here