Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's your solution to Brighton's litter problem?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The problem IS partly the capacity of bins. You can see that people "try" to dispose of their rubbish next to overflowing bins.

Council needs to use 21st century solutions to very obvious problems. Eg...

Or literally have (electric of course ) constant roving fleets of vans travelling the city emptying bins 24 hours a day. No bin ever a 1/4 full.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Most of the photos I've seen of litter on Brighton beach seem to be of beer cans, bottles and boxes that have 12 bottles bought from supermarkets.

The OP has asked for suggestions, this is mine.

That's probably the best one so far. Ban alcohol and barbeques from our beaches and green spaces until people can be responsible for the shit they create.

Some people won't like it, especially the responsible ones but hopefully they would put the pressure on the idiots to pick up and take home their rubbish.

Keep em coming

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Personally, i'd remove ALL of the bins. More bins isn't the answer....i took the bins out of the Rockery about 10 years ago and haven't noticed any increase in litter. If people are going to drop litter or leave it laying around, they'll do it whether there's a bin or not.

As for Herring Gulls....I agree but foxes, people letting their dogs to rummage around bins, even squirrels.....not sure where you'd stop.

I watched a man feeding the wildlife in St Peter's Churchyard recently. I said to him - you are aware you are feeding rats?

He replied - yes, all creatures

:ffsparr:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fines. No excuse for littering, absolutely none at all. Take a bag and take your crap to either the nearest bin or home, it's not hard.

Agree 100%

But the " mummy clears up after me, we do as we :censored: like" brigade still couldn't put a beer can in a skip the size of a small van if it was next to them.
Probably not cool to find a bin for some types unfortunately.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No fine, but anyone dropping litter has to undertake 7 hours working on picking up litter from the beach/streets.

Agree no fine for the actual littering - but make sure the litter picking is meaningful and inconvenient - 7pm to 9pm on the next Friday, Saturday and Saturday, and a midweek clearance 2pm to 4pm on the Wednesday and Thursday 10 days later - all in hi-viz 'Litter Lout' jackets.

Importantly, no concessions wherever they live - London or anywhere else. Travel and/or Hotel costs, and time off work, are their problem. Miss a session - £250 fine (and session to be completed the following week).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's probably the best one so far. Ban alcohol and barbeques from our beaches and green spaces until people can be responsible for the shit they create.

Some people won't like it, especially the responsible ones but hopefully they would put the pressure on the idiots to pick up and take home their rubbish.

Keep em coming

The responsible people can blame the scum that ruin it for everyone. I think a trial run would be a good idea.
Maybe the bars on the seafront can continue to sell alcohol but they have to pay for extra bins, I would suggest a deposit for reusable plastic glasses, but I'm not sure how that would work with Covid-19.

I believe barbecues are actually banned on some Brighton beaches during certain hours.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
If those huge continental style underground bins are installed then there's no real excuse is there? So then you increase fines to £1000. And why not put a levy on the takeaways to contribute to cost of paying for people to police it, after all their rubbish makes a huge contribution to the problem. The solution is a combination of things.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
These aren't Brighton-specific but would help. A pound deposit on bottles of beer and two pounds on a bottle of wine - that will encourage more people to take bottles away with them

I'd also explore the possibility of coding every individual bit of wrapping and recording the card that's used to pay for it. Then, when collecting rubbish, it would be possible to scan the litter and find out who bought it. That person gets fined £500 per individual piece of litter.

And more bins ... emptied more regularly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
More bins & more collections

This. Can hardly come as a surprise to the council on a sunny summer day. Any beach-goer who leaves their rubbish right next to a bin is trying to do the right thing IMHO and is dropping a heavy hint to the council. Only way they'll learn. And the beach-goers who just leave their rubbish on the beach? Pure trash

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
A refundable deposit on all take away bottles and a 10% charge on everything else that goes to the council to pay for a clean up every evening.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Weigh people entering the beach/park and take £10 deposit off them. Weigh them on the way out and if they weigh the same, give them their £10 back.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I know this is a UK issue but i'm only interested in what happens in Brighton and Hove.

This week saw 11 tons of litter removed from Brighton beach, our parks are in a disgusting state with staff having to start at 5am and spend all day clearing other people's rubbish.

Bigger bins are not the answer....they would get filled with domestic waste (old furniture, building rubbish, garden waste etc) in no time.

Maybe someone out there has the answer.

To start with, i'd increase the fine to £1,000 for dropping litter or leaving it beside a bin. This could easily pay for more enforcement officers.

Slap me if i'm wrong.....but please feel free to post your (sensible) ideas.

Why do you have a West Ham badge as your logo?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here