Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What's your car?

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I am looking to trade my car in for something a bit newer. Right now, I have a 2012 Kia Optima and it still runs fine but getting a lot of miles on it and I just want to get something else. Ideally, I would like to at least get something 2018 or newer. Any good suggestions? What do you currently drive? To help suggest some, I prefer sedans and can drive either a manual or an automatic and would prefer something foreign as domestic brands(Ford, Chevy, etc) have never worked out for me lol. Never drove a Hyundai, are they any good?

Thanks.:smile:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hyundais are the opposition to Kia, so just as reputable etc..I’ve you want value for money, does the UK have Haval yet? Chinese but chasing Kia/Hyundai very hard but a fair bit cheaper too.

Otherwise, just buy an Alfa if you are adventurous, or a Mercedes’ if you can afford it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am looking to trade my car in for something a bit newer. Right now, I have a 2012 Kia Optima and it still runs fine but getting a lot of miles on it and I just want to get something else. Ideally, I would like to at least get something 2018 or newer. Any good suggestions? What do you currently drive? To help suggest some, I prefer sedans and can drive either a manual or an automatic and would prefer something foreign as domestic brands(Ford, Chevy, etc) have never worked out for me lol. Never drove a Hyundai, are they any good?

Thanks.:smile:

I bought a 2015 Mazda 3 in December. Also have an older Mazda 6.

I really like Mazdas :lolol:

I test drove similar Kias, Hyundais and Fords.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hyundais are the opposition to Kia, so just as reputable etc..I’ve you want value for money, does the UK have Haval yet? Chinese but chasing Kia/Hyundai very hard but a fair bit cheaper too.

Otherwise, just buy an Alfa if you are adventurous, or a Mercedes’ if you can afford it.
Don't touch a Hyundai! I have a Hyundai i10 - guzzles petrol - has the performance of a slug - understeers badly. Any car that needs two new clutches, and now needs a new gear box before it's done 50K miles is a complete heap of garbage in my book. Bought it second hand, so I'm obviously not the only one who wanted to get shot of it faster than we got rid of Jahanbakhsh - though unless I get a new gear box, it's pretty un-sellable anyway, except for scrap. Can't afford to buy a new (second hand) car anytime, just like that, so all I can do is drive the bloody thing without second gear and nurse it until it stops when something else goes wrong, and then scrap it.

Anyone want a cheap Hyundai with a genuine 49K on the clock?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Don't touch a Hyundai! I have a Hyundai i10 - guzzles petrol - has the performance of a slug - understeers badly. Any car that needs two new clutches, and now needs a new gear box before it's done 50K miles is a complete heap of garbage in my book. Bought it second hand, so I'm obviously not the only one who wanted to get shot of it faster than we got rid of Jahanbakhsh - though unless I get a new gear box, it's pretty un-sellable anyway, except for scrap. Can't afford to buy a new (second hand) car anytime, just like that, so all I can do is drive the bloody thing without second gear and nurse it until it stops when something else goes wrong, and then scrap it.

LOL does not seem appropriate, but you definitely got a lemon there! Either a Friday afternoon car, or someone very ham fisted has played with it. How old is it now, and when you bought it out of interest?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I’ve just bought a 2018 Mini John Cooper Works (JCW). Not the cheapest of cars, but it’s far and away the best car I’ve ever owned!

Goes like shit off a shovel, it’s refined and comfortable and it’s stacked with all the technology you could ever want. In addition, all Minis hold their value really well, the JCW in particular.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There’s a really nice MG A currently being auctioned that I’ve got my eye on. Anyone ever had one? Things to look out for?

194F6133-7696-4549-B75F-C95715A934E2.jpeg

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Hyundai and Kia are the same cars, they share almost every component, it’s just the look that’s different.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

I’d say the opposite, I had a Hyundai i30 07 plate purchased with 100k on the clock. I drove it for a few years upto 150k , yes the usual wear and tear items were needed, but it never missed a beat and had a load of spec on it (heated seats, heated steering wheel , air con sat nav etc. which given the year was unusual for size of car) best part is I only spent £2500 on it and sold onto a delivery driver for £1000 when my family outgrew it,

I now drive a Nissan Qashqai +2 (branded the Rogue sport in USA) again purchased as a top spec, high miles car ,

I’d buy another Hyundai or Nissan again ,

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
There’s a really nice MG A currently being auctioned that I’ve got my eye on. Anyone ever had one? Things to look out for?

View attachment 149823

Make sure the bodywork is genuine and not 25% filler. Our neighbour across the road bought an MGA as his retirement present.

Was a complete rot box and after 5 years of trying to fix all of the additional mechanical problems he sold it. Fittingly it went away on the back of a Car collection lorry.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Make sure the bodywork is genuine and not 25% filler. Our neighbour across the road bought an MGA as his retirement present.

Was a complete rot box and after 5 years of trying to fix all of the additional mechanical problems he sold it. Fittingly it went away on the back of a Car collection lorry.

Many thanks.

The auction site contains 600 photos, including the whole restoration, which seems to be thorough…

2394D4D9-22EF-43D9-87E2-9C7EFC10EFB0.jpeg
A0147E68-BF0B-4572-9BE4-163BEDCD4FD1.jpeg

Problem is that a) I don’t really know what I’m doing and b) it would be an impulse buy. Not a great combination!

Oh, and c) it was first registered in God’s own county. I mean, that’s got to be a plus, right?

BFC481B3-B4C4-4BD3-B0D9-F56CA1FCB5B0.jpeg

I know, I know.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Already posted

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I’d say the opposite too,
We’ve had three Hyundais in a row. The current one is a Kona Hybrid - about 2 years old and high spec. Nice to drive. Never had any problems with any of them and very happy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Mrs D has a Getz….had it at least 10 years (it’s a 57 reg) and spent virtually nothing on it in that time and never broke down. Annual service/MOT around £200, that’s it.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Mrs D has a Getz….had it at least 10 years (it’s a 57 reg) and spent virtually nothing on it in that time and never broke down. Annual service/MOT around £200, that’s it.

I've heard very similar for Hyundais around that age. Get a 10 - 12 year old one with full service history and reasonable mileage and just keep driving with only an annual service needed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Evoque

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Hyundai i20 14 plate i purchased it with 56k on the clock 4 years ago 15 miles after buying it a loud vibrating/rattling noise started i rang them took it back had a replacement car, said they'd fixed it,they hadn't,after 3 attempts and about 4 weeks driving a loaner, i lost my patience and did the i'll go to the papers routine,they took it back and replaced the engine,gearbox,matrix,and steering column ! so basically i had a new car mechanically, so they spent nearly 11k in parts and labour on the car double what i paid for it, here's the kicker, it still made the same noise after about 30 milesi took the car for it's MOT to a local garage and asked the mechanic to see if he could find where the noise was coming from, and he found it in 15 minutes some sort of exhaust bracket was the wrong size and was touching the underside of the car after working loose,he whacked on another bracket for £14 and it's been fine since then, i find it hard to believe my car went in 5 times and not one mechanic found that,but there we are. The dealer was Shukers if anyone else fancies a new engine :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here