Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your answer to the world population growth?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Don't we only currently populate around 10% of the globe? Admittedly another significant percentage is not habitable for a number of reasons, but I guess the answer is that we use the land we have better than we do at the moment.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
You should really watch the lecture in the second comment then if you think that is a good idea.

Yea **** it, let em all die horribly, or carry on spending billions sustaining them through their suffering as we do now. Ridiculous argument. Perhaps we could replace the decreasingly utilised phone boxes with incineration chambers. If you ever get that unthinkable diagnosis you can go and do the world a favour and get rid of yourself.

To suggest curbing medicinal advancements to curb population growth is an utterly soul destroying thought and backwards thinking. People watching way too much shit from hollywood to find their answers.

Just to clarify I am not in favour of curbing medicinal advancements as if I or any of my friends or families got these horrible diseases I would want there to be a cure available . However , there is a massive lobby behind medicine and pharmecutical companies who don't want there to be a cure . Unfortunately it is business and if there was 1 tablet to cure the disease or they can keep someone's life going and at the same time maintaining a profit , that is unfortunately what they are going to choose

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I would create 2 rooms. One with a Syrian refugee standing in it and another containing babies with guns*

I would then ask all pro-gun voters to choose one of the rooms. Obviously, their argument is that guns are only as dangerous as the baby holding them and, as we all know, Syrians are terrifying so most of them should go into the baby room.

Then just let the trigger happy toddlers do their thing.**

* The babys are in full body armour and cannot be shot by a fellow baby. Any adult who picks up a gun is instantly exterminated.
** There is literally NO fault to this plan...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Contraception available to all and empowerment of women so they have choices other than perpetual motherhood.

Would be wonderful if 100% effective but, more significantly, if certain religious faiths did not actually disapprove of it.

Africa, as I think PPF alludes, is the biggest problem in this regard and not to mention the recurrent droughts and ensuing famine.

Perhaps sterilisation should seriously be considered in certain extreme situations !

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Start a new Earth colony on the moon. Terra form Mars in the next 100 years to build new houses there. Job done.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We could start with the Catholic church and their stance on contraception. Especially in Africa where they have millions of followers who stick rigidly and follow blindly to the ''no contraception teachings. And before anyone accuses me of being anti Catholicism I would point out that I was brought up a Catholic and many of my family still attend Mass every Sunday

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
As I understand it, population growth rates are very low in most of the western world, north-east Asia and south america, dropping fast in south-east Asia and the US, leaving Africa as the primary holdout of high pop growth rates, but will presumably slow in the future as they follow the rest of the world's patterns.

Therefore the global population will plateau at some point, before theoretically dropping (we won't see it unfortunately, as we're part of the bulge and we all have to die off for this to be realised).

However this won't necessarily be a fun process, as the world's economy is built on the theory of growth, and as western countries try to maintain this growth during a period of population ageing, they will invite huge numbers of immigrants to their country to fill the work vacancies. Meanwhile the countries with ageing populations will hugely struggle with pension bills and looking after the old. This is all rather simplistic I suppose but the economics are tough for a population of pensioners

Once we're gone it will get better presumably, although I would be very surprised if a war doesn't come along during this upheaval, or that western birth rates will shoot up again during the recessions (or wars) that are likely to occur

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
War will be the inevitable outcome as the only decent way of culling the population

But that doesn't really rhyme :-

(War) good God y'all
(What is it good for?) Absolutely nothing, say it again
(War, what is it good for?) a decent way of keeping in check exponential population growth
say it again.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
One big component is food production. Like it or not, the world cannot sustain everyone eating like Westerners and most likely the vast majority of people will have to become vegetarian (or scientists have to perfect their petri dish meat).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Alternatively,put the EU in charge of the World Food Programme-mass starvation in 10 years.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Could mods not merge this thread with the abolishment of healthcare one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here