What’s more frustrating?

• Playing rubbish

Votes: 90 42.7%
  • Playing well and missing endless chances

Votes: 121 57.3%

• Total voters

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
Thing is if we played shit and won every game 1-0 the performance wouldn't matter, because we would be sitting in top place and no one would care, but playing well creating chance after chance and scoring nothing is crazy.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
This is MUCH more frustrating than just being bloody awful to watch because the usual thing to do is to blame the manager, and normally I would. But how can you blame a bloke who sets his team up to dominate, attack and create 66 chances in 3 games, especially when we're not exactly conceding a hatful? That's what we all want to see. That is why I'm frustrated - I don't feel I can blame the manager.

In that time, we've scored one goal (two if you count today's free kick) and they were both "scored" by defenders. It isn't hard to see where the blame lies. I see Connolly on the team sheet and my heart sinks. Then Welbeck comes on and he too is absolutely shit so my heart sinks further. Maupay is the least shit in my view but he isn't good enough. I wouldn't trust any of them to finish their dinner.

We should have had 3, and could have had 6 easily today. I don't want to see Welbeck or Connolly in the shirt again next season, and Maupay is on very thin ice. I'd only keep him for the sake of continuity anyway. The whole lot of them are utter shit and have let Potter down. He publicly back them in the summer and this utter turd is how they've repaid him.

Agreed. Manager has developed the team to be tighter at the back in 2021 too, he hasn’t stood still. So many players have improved under him. He’s willing to try different tactics and ideas. We are an absolute pleasure to watch - if we could just finish.

I felt a tiny bit of sympathy for Connolly - in the Spurs game he was guilt of not smashing home into an open net by being too casual. He’s learnt from that and went to smash his chance home his change yesterday - only for that one to require a calmer finish. He’s very much in at the deep end. Maupay had a chance yesterday that didn’t even make it out for a throw.

Feel for Potter, what on earth can you do when your side has 2 pens, 3 absolute gift wrapped chances and you lose the game 1-0. It’s ridiculous.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
This has without doubt been the worst season I can remember watching Albion (solely talking about what’s happening on the pitch).

I grew up supporting rubbish Brighton in the lower leagues and can happily support a team who are just not that good. There’s a dark humour to it really. And the odd lower league promotion is a lovely bonus.

This season, we have the staff set up, the manager, and the players to have had one of the most memorable seasons in the clubs history.

We have played the best football I have ever seen an Albion team play, in the most competitive league, we have blooded the youngsters, won at the champions, and dominated in most games.

Yet somehow, there is every chance we will end up losing our spot in the league. We can blame individual players for missed chances, or even Potter for persevering BDB at left back.

The fact is to that more than the above (not saying they aren’t also true) to have an underperformance in results compared to the stats we have is a huge huge slice of ridiculously bad luck. I know some don’t accept luck and variance as an excuse but it exists. And we have been on the wrong end of it in almost unimaginable quantities.

Like a few others have said in the thread, with life as it is at the moment it’s affecting me more than it should, i reached a point where I don’t want to even watch next week. We’ll see.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I went for the latter. In reality, it's probably the first - because being shit has no redeeming features whereas currently it's more utter frustration that we are so close to being a comfortable Premier League team for want of someone that can consistently convert the countless chances created.

So it's certainly more frustrating. It's the hope that kills you, as the old saying goes.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’m pleased to see I’m not the only one.

I’m only in my mid twenties but I’ve never felt so frustrated watching us, being shit I can accept at least then you can blame the manager and the shit players. I honestly find myself sadistically laughing when we miss chances now, it’s utterly unbelievable. Perhaps it’s a sum of missing chances + the current situation in the world that we have little to take our minds off it after the game that leads to even more irritation.

Watching us miss the second penalty I gave up and went out for a walk, it was driving me to insanity.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Neither are exactly a barrel of laughs are they.

Under the later times with CH in all honesty I did not expect anything so never really was that frustrated.
Now we look like a top 10 side at least until we reach the final 20 yards where we look like a Sunday league outfit swinging and snatching wildly at chances like a rabbit in the headlights. That is what is frustrating. But I’d rather watch that I think as at least there is belief we could kick on to be a very good side. Not saying that will happen we still need to address the elephant in the room and get someone scoring goals

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm with you. I'm a Brighton fan - I'm quite content with us being rubbish, I'd be much calmer if I was a Sheff Utd fan at the moment but I can't remember a season that has literally depressed me more than this one. For various reasons, things are so ****ing shit at the moment and the Albion are making things significantly worse in my head. I know I can't stop being a fan after 37 years so I'll just have to hope things perk up. Ridiculous I know.

I find it remarkable that the vast majority of fans (who are GP in, like me), love the EPL and feel we’re “living the dream”, when:

- Our results pattern is effectively LLDDW.
- We win a league game effectively once a month.

The human condition, able to synthesise the above as an enjoyable ride.

I think it’s partly because most people are optimists, there’s an underlying feeling of jam tomorrow, once we have those new strikers we’ll be a force.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Got me thinking after today’s game, I remember towards the end of Hughtons reign that I genuinely didn’t want to watch us anymore for the first time ever and after today I feel immensely frustrated about watching us playing well and throwing games away with crap finishing despite playing good football.

What’s more frustrating:

Watching us play utter shit and lose games

Watching us play fairly well but missing chance after chance after chance.

Watching us under CH was embarrassing, I will never forget the Newcastle fans calling Ole every time their players passed the ball. Sure our ridiculous form is front of goal is not pleasant but at least we are creating chances which is far far more preferable than trying to be the fourth worst team, playing 8-1-1.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I’m pleased to see I’m not the only one.

I’m only in my mid twenties but I’ve never felt so frustrated watching us, being shit I can accept at least then you can blame the manager and the shit players. I honestly find myself sadistically laughing when we miss chances now, it’s utterly unbelievable. Perhaps it’s a sum of missing chances + the current situation in the world that we have little to take our minds off it after the game that leads to even more irritation.

Watching us miss the second penalty I gave up and went out for a walk, it was driving me to insanity.

I'm in my mid 60s, you'll get used to it, you can't walk away now you're DOOMED...........................

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Watching us under CH was embarrassing, I will never forget the Newcastle fans calling Ole every time their players passed the ball. Sure our ridiculous form is front of goal is not pleasant but at least we are creating chances which is far far more preferable than trying to be the fourth worst team, playing 8-1-1.

I agree, however you are missing the point. It’s of course worse footballing wise to just be crap but when did you feel more frustrated and wound up? We were woeful those last few months under Hughton but I feel more frustrated now as we promise so much and throw it all away in the final third.

I can’t imagine how Potter picks the team up after these last 3 games.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's a new sensation for us.

Dominating possession, playing teams off the park, creating a multitude of chances...and not taking them and losing for a variety of freakish reasons.

Goals conceded after the final whistle having hit the woodwork 5 times.

The rivals only having 2 touches in the penalty box and scoring from both, the last in the 94th minute.

Becoming the first EPL team to hit the woodwork twice from a penalty following a clear refereeing blunder and 'whistlegate'.

Just like Sisyphus, we take the time and energy to painstakingly push the boulder up to the top of the hill...only to have it roll back down again.

Vexing. Perplexing. Frustrating. Exasperating.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Our form in front of goal has become some kind of sick joke. We've been massively let off this week with the results around so we just have to go again and hope for the best.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Really surprised by the results of this poll.

The current situation, as frustrating as it is, is far superior than the alternative offered in the poll. Watching us play currently is frustrating, but when you look at it with the frustration shoved off to one side I see a team that's *nearly* there. One or two astute signings in the summer and we're probably a 9-10-11-ish quality squad. Heck, if we'd got the results we deserved in the last 2 matches we'd currently be sitting pretty in 13th with a 9 point buffer between us and the relegation zone.

Potter's sorted out (for the most part) the defensive frailties of earlier in the season - and we've still got Lamptey and Webster to return. All we're lacking now is the finishing for the chances the midfield are able to create. What we're watching currently is unfulfilled potential. What we were watching at the end of Hughton's reign was circling the drain. There's daylight between the two, and I have no desire to go back to watching Hughton style football.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Agreed. Manager has developed the team to be tighter at the back in 2021 too, he hasn’t stood still. So many players have improved under him. He’s willing to try different tactics and ideas. We are an absolute pleasure to watch - if we could just finish.

I felt a tiny bit of sympathy for Connolly - in the Spurs game he was guilt of not smashing home into an open net by being too casual. He’s learnt from that and went to smash his chance home his change yesterday - only for that one to require a calmer finish. He’s very much in at the deep end. Maupay had a chance yesterday that didn’t even make it out for a throw.

Feel for Potter, what on earth can you do when your side has 2 pens, 3 absolute gift wrapped chances and you lose the game 1-0. It’s ridiculous.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Connolly. He has had 2 of the easiest chances to score in the PL any forward will ever get, playing in a team that creates chance after chance that must be a centre forwards dream. He's had plenty of other good chances as well (the Liverpool 1 on 1 which he stuck in the stands) but someone manages to miss them all. I'd be backing him to somehow miss if he was underneath the cross bar with an open goal in front of him. I've seen more composure when my dog eats its dinner.

Maupay is just as bad. The only one he has put away recently was an open goal that even he couldn't miss. Also, THAT shot at the weekend was so bad it didn't even make it out for a throw in. His biggest contribution this weekend was to lose Bartlett for their goal.

Still angry about how bad they were this weekend 2 days later. God knows what their team mates really think about them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This has been the most frustrating season I've ever seen. We've sunk to depths of misfortune I would have said were impossible.

But we have a team we can be proud of. We've won at Anfield and been the better team in most of our matches against top 6 sides.

Again, this would not have been imaginable as little as 10 years ago

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I have absolutely no sympathy for Connolly. He has had 2 of the easiest chances to score in the PL any forward will ever get, playing in a team that creates chance after chance that must be a centre forwards dream. He's had plenty of other good chances as well (the Liverpool 1 on 1 which he stuck in the stands) but someone manages to miss them all. I'd be backing him to somehow miss if he was underneath the cross bar with an open goal in front of him. I've seen more composure when my dog eats its dinner.

Maupay is just as bad. The only one he has put away recently was an open goal that even he couldn't miss. Also, THAT shot at the weekend was so bad it didn't even make it out for a throw in. His biggest contribution this weekend was to lose Bartlett for their goal.

Still angry about how bad they were this weekend 2 days later. God knows what their team mates really think about them.

But he keeps getting in there.

He has the mentality which will eventually get him goals.

My feeling is that it will be elsewhere, but at his age there is every chance he will he'll have a decent career

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here