Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats to be done about the slow walk off scenario for substitutions?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The sanctions are already available - adding time on etc, booking for unsportsmanlike behaviour. Referees don't apply them.

Exactly. The rules are there. If referees grew some bollocks and started booking players then it would all soon stop.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Exactly. The rules are there. If referees grew some bollocks and started booking players then it would all soon stop.

Agreed

However...we can hardly complain when someone like FFS made the slow walk an art form and Casper the fannying around before a goal kick. Glasshouses and all that.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It's swings and roundabouts. If we're 1-0 up in the dying minutes on Saturday, I'd hope that any player substituted by us would move as slowly as humanly possible to get off the pitch.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why would a player who is going OFF give one toss if he is booked :lolol:

A booking will just add to the time it takes.

What needs to happen is the countdown clock music needs to start IMMEDIATELY after the board is shown. If the player is not off before the music ends then he is red carded. The music is 30 seconds long and thus fits with the "30 seconds per sub" which a ref will add on.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

What needs to happen is the countdown clock music needs to start IMMEDIATELY after the board is shown. If the player is not off before the music ends then he is red carded. The music is 30 seconds long and thus fits with the "30 seconds per sub" which a ref will add on.

Definitely needs some kind of visible clock ticking. Just add the time taken to get off the field to the time remaining. Simples.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Kayal's corner kick immediately before the equalising goal was taken exactly on 94 mins. The referee therefore added on the time Will Hughes took up with his football equivalent of kerb-crawling, and played on as necessary.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I thought 30 seconds was automatically added on for each substitution?

Gamesmanship exists in practically every part of the match, timewasting by both teams is just one of them.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
I have no problem with it - we do it ourselves

the issue yesterday was 4 mins added time was put up, and the ref allowed hardly any time for a slow substitution in that period and the fact a GOAL had been scored.... we should have kept playing til around 96-97 mins but it was all over before 95. Joke

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

If they are on four bookings for the season they might care. Of course, this would not matter at this time of the season. I like your idea but with the music being Mission Impossible and the other team are allowed to stop them getting off then pitch by ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Definitely needs some kind of visible clock ticking. Just add the time taken to get off the field to the time remaining. Simples.
The countdown clock would be good.....da da, da da, da da da da booked

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Refs have booked both Stockdale (several times i think) and opponent GKs this season for timewasting this season and there's also been (although its rare) the odd yellow for walking off slowly for a substitution.

Slightly off topic bit of inconsistency refereeing ..Stockdake got booked recently for lifting up an 'injured' player Martin did the same to Bruno (he seemed to feign injury) yesterday ...Martin gets away with it

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Start shoving yellow cards in their faces.

Didn't Ashley Barnes get a yellow card for walking off slowly once. This would certainly quicken the change over particularly if the player coming off is already on a yellow card.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The FA website says that a rule of thumb is 30 seconds per goal celebration and 30 seconds per substitution. I don't actually think refs give as much time as this because if you take a typical second half there will be around 5 substitutions and 2 goals, meaning 3 and a half minutes right there. If you to factor in typical timewasting / delaying, actual stoppages and when the ref gives a player a talking to you've probably got at least another 2 and a half minutes there.

I reckon that added time should ordinarily be 6 minutes - the fact it averages out at around 4 suggests to me that officials DON'T add on all the time they should and a timewasting team could trim 2 minutes off the average second half.

Apart from the fact it's cheating it's also very BORING.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here