[Albion] What’s the worst away day in the 92?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You don't get wooden seats any more. we had to rip them up in the away end for UEFA regulations, during the Europa Cup season.

Besides, wide wood seats or narrow plastic seats? I know what I'd prefer.
I'd like to disagree with you, but you'll only cry and run away. So yes, absolutely. Ancient, fire-hazard, freezing-cold wooden benches are the way to go. I wish more modern stadia had them.

Last edited:

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Yes its pricey but there are some plus points.

Good food options (especially for veggie/vegan). Not bad drink options in the ground.

Outside catering/food not bad

Pubs/bars/ restaurants nearby

Proximity to multiple transport options - yes they all go back via london bridge etc

Good for parking /driving

However, it isnt a football stadium in terms of sight lines and atmosphere last night was muted

In terms of worst places, stoke is up there inntop 2 divisions. Also think current everton is a poor ground. And palace when you take away the rivalry is in nobody's top 10 as an experience

If we go beyond top 2, always remember cheltenham as a poor away ground with an attitude from club/stewards designed to cause problems

You forgot to mention ABBA Arena at nearby Pudding Mill Lane!

200.gif

SAC

May 21, 2014
The worst grounds for away fans are Newcastle and West Ham. Getting to Reading and Stoke is a pain but both grounds are ok.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oldham when they were in the 92. God forsaken place. Only 3 sides to the ground and freezing.
People keep mentioning Oldham, I've been there twice and not noticed it being especially cold. Now, Fellows Park was cold; I've never been so frozen as watching Walsall fluke a 1-0 win there about 30 years ago

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
People keep mentioning Oldham, I've been there twice and not noticed it being especially cold. Now, Fellows Park was cold; I've never been so frozen as watching Walsall fluke a 1-0 win there about 30 years ago
Coldest I've been at any sporting event was at Northampton.
I wouldn't mind, but I was there for a cricket match. :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wolves.

Horrible town, forced to go in awful pubs. Always a welcoming committee by the subway. Plus they sound like utter mongs.

Only plus point is we usually get something up there.

Man United has to be the most overrated. But at least there are some decent boozers in Manchester. Actually you can say the same about Liverpool.

Out of the premiership Stoke and Reading already mentioned a lot. Cov's new ground is crap. Never liked Watford. Crawley is dreadful. Forest Green just for that f***ing hill! MK Dons for numerous reasons.
I was going to ask what the Ricoh is like as an away game. I've only ever been twice (once to go in the home end for a Cup replay against Portsmouth during Uni days when they were basically giving the tickets away and once for the Olympics) and on both occasions it was a complete pain in the arse. I understand they've since opened a station which they don't open on match days as it'll get too crowded.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Stoke is grim, West Ham is a bit of a ballache, but can't help harking back to Barnet and that tiddly little away end behind that goal. Very odd. I guess that doesn't exist anymore?

Burnley is the worst town I have ever been to but I do like the old style Northern town stadiums.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I was going to ask what the Ricoh is like as an away game. I've only ever been twice (once to go in the home end for a Cup replay against Portsmouth during Uni days when they were basically giving the tickets away and once for the Olympics) and on both occasions it was a complete pain in the arse. I understand they've since opened a station which they don't open on match days as it'll get too crowded.
I'm sure I heard something along the lines of the rail line they installed wasn't electrified and the rail operator only had one diesel train.

It's an odd ground, I don't dislike it as it is something different to the just add water bowl types that have shot up over the years but as you say PITA to get to and Coventry isn't really a great city for a beer either....at least I've never found it to be.

Reactions: A1X

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Worst I’ve been to was the Priestfield or Belle Vue - I went to our final game at Doncaster and it was crumbling and falling down. And we lost 2-0.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Worst I’ve been to was the Priestfield or Belle Vue - I went to our final game at Doncaster and it was crumbling and falling down. And we lost 2-0.
I was also there. We were absolutely awful and that carthorse Mark McCammon scored for Doncaster

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm sure I heard something along the lines of the rail line they installed wasn't electrified and the rail operator only had one diesel train.

It's an odd ground, I don't dislike it as it is something different to the just add water bowl types that have shot up over the years but as you say PITA to get to and Coventry isn't really a great city for a beer either....at least I've never found it to be.

As someone who lives down the road from Cov, it's a bloody awful place for beer and there is next to nothing around the Ricoh {Sorry "CBS arena")

I think, however, that they have recently opened the station on match day albeit no additional trains on match days. In transportation terms for fans, it's Anne Frank's drumkit

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was also there. We were absolutely awful and that carthorse Mark McCammon scored for Doncaster
And Tommy Fraser missed a sitter, got abuse from one twat amongst the couple of hundred of us behind the goal in the decrepit terrace (in the rain) - and proceeded to stick two fingers up to us at full time.

Really grim times.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Hartlepool is a bit of a grim one (in terms of getting to, the ground being freezing and there being no decent away pubs), but Bas Savage scoring a very, very late winner after pinballing the ball off seemingly their entire team was hugely enjoyable.

What wasn't SO enjoyable was that he then proceeded to do a moonwalk right in front of their main stand, where the atmosphere was a little sombre because there'd been a minute's silence before the game for one of their players who'd recently died in a car crash.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Hartlepool is a bit of a grim one (in terms of getting to, the ground being freezing and there being no decent away pubs), but Bas Savage scoring a very, very late winner after pinballing the ball off seemingly their entire team was hugely enjoyable.

What wasn't SO enjoyable was that he then proceeded to do a moonwalk right in front of their main stand, where the atmosphere was a little sombre because there'd been a minute's silence before the game for one of their players who'd recently died in a car crash.

Tommy Elphick also ripped off his black armband after the goal and threw it on the floor. Dean Wilkins got a cup of tea thrown at him in the aftermath.

The main stand was tiny meaning Bas was moonwalking about 5 metres away from the grieving relatives o_O

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A bit of a pain to get to from the city centre, and the old away terrace used to be a bit grim. The new stand they built in its place about 20 years ago isn't too bad.
I quite liked Cambridge too.

Having not been before I was envisaging a quaint old ground near a college or library with people floating past in punts.

Instead we took a seemingly never ending walk through a council estate. The pub we stopped off at halfway for much needed refreshment was notable for two things. Everyone in the pub turning to look at us as we walked in and for everyone having, cumulatively, three teeth and three hundred and forty tattoos, some of which were spelled correctly.

It was certainly educational but not, perhaps, in the way I expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports