[Albion] What’s the worst away day in the 92?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Timely - Stoke is right up there!
Although the location and access is crap - the ground itself is okay (if it's not windy / cold). When the Stoke fans get going it's loud and quite atmospheric. It's just everything else that is always associated with it - especially the weather....
Yeh came here to say this. Granted most of our fanbase will have no clue what the experience at a L1/L2 away ground is like... but fair to say LOTS of them are a terrible experience. To call West Ham the worst away day in the country, when you're a short connection from all the pubs in central London is laughable. Kassam certainly one. I hear Salford is appalling. Gillingham? Walsall? Reading? Barrow?
The away fans at Barrow now have a roof - vastly improved experience from standing exposed in the face of the rain straight off the north sea.
Burnley

Long trip. Ugly town, ugly ground, ugly fans.
But - cheap beer, easy walk from the station via the town centre. And so on. And I like the ground - old-fashioned, yes - but the wooden seating and so on doesn't matter if you're standing anyway.

Being based up north, I probably have a different take on some of these!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
West Ham is shit if it's midweek and you are going to and from the shopping centre on a time constraint. It's actually a decent away day on an afternoon when you can frequent the micro brewery bars around Hackney Wick and not get caught in the transport mele. Whilst the atmosphere last night was muted on both sides, I don't remember it being bad at all in the 3-3 or last year's 2-0 win in our end at least even if the fan split is less than ideal.

Avoid in midweek is the lesson I learnt.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
That's a good shout. But at least there's an atmosphere. You can hear a mouse fart at West Ham. And, as an additional point, that was never the case at Upton Park which was one of the best away days.
That’s the thing: a nice enough drive, easy parking, a pizza in a big trashy mall beforehand. And then the greatest number of entirely silent people seen since Gandhi’s funeral. West Ham away is just…WEIRD.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
West Ham away is decent enough if you come from Hackney Wick and go to Crate/any other craft beer place in the area. The atmosphere is terrible unless they're winning, although we didn't make much noise last night but I'm sure that had something to do with it being January 2nd.

However I personally wouldn't bother going if I couldn't get seats in the lower tier. Was in the upper tier for the Hughton 3-0 and it felt like I watched most of the game on their ridiculous long screen.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think getting to Mansfield in December 1999, no one in the car having the sense to turn our phones on, and finding out from Tom Watt ( He of Albert Square fame) on Talk Sport that the game was off 🙈
When I first went to Mansfield you couldn't get a train there. A can't remember any other ground like that. Had to get a bus from Nottingham. A line has opened now.

Seem to remember Yeovil was a strange one. Nearest pub was on a local estate.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's a good shout. But at least there's an atmosphere. You can hear a mouse fart at West Ham. And, as an additional point, that was never the case at Upton Park which was one of the best away days.
Spot on. The old West Ham ground was probably my favourite away ground. You were really close to the pitch and there was a terrific atmosphere. There was a cracking Indian snack place a short walk away too. Too few grounds like that these days

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Surprised no-one has mentioned Yeovil yet.
Ground is in the middle of nowhere, public transport is shit, parking is a nightmare to get out of, the whole experience is crap.
I would have done but luckily they are now in National League South (though they are top).

West Ham is bad but especially by comparison to what they had before. I did a check recently and I've been to 56 of the current 92. I'm going to nominate MK Dons for much of the same reasons as Yeovil.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Shrewsbury’s new(ish) stadium is the epitome of a souless bowl, but it does have a big car park and a Lidl. The old ground was brill though. Oxford’s three sided ground isn’t great either.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Looking at the Premier League grounds there are none that I would call a "one and done" They all have good and bad points, my worst 3 would be

1. Palace. I just won't bother. The kids and the angries can have that one. Awful ground in an awful area which brings out the worst fans on both sides. Rather go back to Marseille and sit in with the ultras in a PSG top

2. Newcastle. Terrible viewing experience. Away fans should be nearer the pitch. Also, for all the talk about "great atmosphere" it's pretty soporific when they aren't going so well. All a media love in myth about how great they are. Distance an obvious issue as well. Watching the locals get so battered they can't stand up is highly amusing though.

3. Luton. Shit town, shit ground and shit fans from the 80s. I doubt I will have enough loyalty points. Actually quite pleased about that.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Palace is just a dire day out, cannot stand it. Ground wise I'd say in the Premier league Goodison, despite the romance Kenilworth Rd is awful, Roots Hall especially when it was standing on the sunken terrace absolutely awful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Getting back to the A4 bag thing at West Ham. Not only did I have to leave my Mulberry bag at home....I was spotted/shamed by @Tony Meolas Loan Spell with a sub-optimal cloth tote. I felt like a fraud. Bag shaming isnt nice and I still feel it all these years after the 3-3.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Of the ones I've been too which isn't really that many I'd say Yeovil, whilst it was a long time ago and the weather was dreadful I will always remember just how bad it was trying to just drive out of the car park,nice pub on the estate but that's about it,Not that keen on Nottingham forest either once inside,found it so claustrophobic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports