Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What’s the worst away day in the 92?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm absolutely not, as I never went to Millmoor, but saw the scrapyard walking to the New York. It's the only time I've I've been to Rotherham (and hopefully won't ever go back). We lost 1-0, it was the game where the ref didn't move the wall back far enough, one of ours got booked for moaning about it even though he repaced it (with us 'helping' him count) and it was 8 steps :laugh:
If we lost 1-0 at the NY Stadium, then this was the 'famous' game that NOBODY got any points from. Rotherham beat us 1-0, fielding an ineligible player. They were subsequently docked the three points they'd won, but even though the player played the full 90 minutes, this was not considered to have impacted our chances in the game sufficiently, for us to be awarded those points :rolleyes:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
2 pints of Guiness and 2 pints of Kronenbourg 1664 pre-match for under a tenner the last time we were there (promotion season) - I actually queried it with the barmaid as I thought she'd made a mistake.

Not sure if it was some sort of Happy Hour but it was karoke night and a bloke whose face was completely covered in tattoos got up and sang, with an amazing voice, Robbie Williams' Angels.

The rest of the pub was watchig Horse Racing on giant screens.

Quite sureal.
I'm not sure if it says more about me or South Yorkshire that none of this surprises me. Although you'll not get prices near that anywhere in Sheffield.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The next visit to the NY (in 2018) was possibly even worse. We lost 2-0 on a freezing evening in January -though we did get to see the Albion debuts of Anthony Knockaert and Liam Ridgewell.

Knockaert was shit, and we wondered what the f*** we'd signed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If we lost 1-0 at the NY Stadium, then this was the 'famous' game that NOBODY got any points from. Rotherham beat us 1-0, fielding an ineligible player. They were subsequently docked the three points they'd won, but even though the player played the full 90 minutes, this was not considered to have impacted our chances in the game sufficiently, for us to be awarded those points :rolleyes:
Yep, that's the one. Fair enough though, we were horrifically bad. :laugh:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The back five/ten rows at Palace are the worst sight-lines in British football (or at least paired with QPR). At least if you're at the back at West Ham, you can see the whole pitch (even if it is far away).

Like others on here have said, it's a terrible experience that is only somewhat made better by the "fun" atmosphere of the derby (though I thought they were quiet as hell this year). Who cares if it's real if you can't actually see the football, can't get in or out easily, and you have to walk through a ridiculous amount of police just to get in. On top of that, we never actually win there (2 wins in 12 in my lifetime, and I missed both of them).
Fair point. Everton is a the same. I seem to recall Loftus Road roof is quite low but it was new years day and I was hungover and half asleep so it didnt matter.

Whilst I appreciate you can see all the pitch I really did struggle with West Ham and the general look and feel of the stadium. That said, I did have fun post match and was taken to some excellent bars with @thedonkeycentrehalf and others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The next visit to the NY (in 2018) was possibly even worse. We lost 2-0 on a freezing evening in January -though we did get to see the Albion debuts of Anthony Knockaert and Liam Ridgewell.

Knockaert was shit, and we wondered what the f*** we'd signed.
I was there as well. Did I stand behind you? I seem to recall I mentioned somone recorded the whole game on a 'periscope' and you said the person was with you. Maybe I got this wrong.

Post match was spent trawling Thornbridge pubs in Sheffield; that was excellent.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Rotherham is one of those anomalies.

Really enjoyed the old ground having sat in 3 different stands and drunk in the bar behind the home stand (tivoli or rivoli or something). Liked drinking in Sheffield after too.

Also left their old ground which is still standing albeit still half built..then went to don valley that is now demolished, never designed for football, and moved into the new york.

Here are Wycombe playing rotherham at don valley
1704387310808.png

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was there as well. Did I stand behind you? I seem to recall I mentioned somone recorded the whole game on a 'periscope' and you said the person was with you. Maybe I got this wrong.

Post match was spent trawling Thornbridge pubs in Sheffield; that was excellent.
@El Presidente was threatened with ejection by an unnecessarily aggressive steward, for filming the game on his phone, Good memory skills :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm absolutely not, as I never went to Millmoor, but saw the scrapyard walking to the New York. It's the only time I've I've been to Rotherham (and hopefully won't ever go back). We lost 1-0, it was the game where the ref didn't move the wall back far enough, one of ours got booked for moaning about it even though he repaced it (with us 'helping' him count) and it was 8 steps :laugh:
I'm one who went to Milmoor, it was quite the memorable trip.

On the way up on the train we met some young lads from Burgess Hill (who must be in their 40s now :lol: ) and they sculled cider and various alcopos on the train. We found an open pub shortly after 11 and even though we consisted of a group of southerners, at least ten in number, and with three possible under-agers who couldn't speak, were quite glad to serve us for the next three or so hours. Hardly anyone else came in, either because the pub was a money laundering front or because it was a back street pub in Rotherham on a Saturday morning run by a landlady who probably could have beaten up our group single handedly.

We took a delightful walk past several boarded up properties and under a very scary looking underpass to the ground, where it looked like we'd brought less than 300 fans. One of them was @Scoffers who had either driven or gone by coach, but was highly amused at the state of inebriation, especially when Robert Codner scored the only goal at our end and I celebrated with a lap of honour the length and breadth of the terraced section.

We clung on to win 1-0 and all the players came over to celebrate with us. They were soon joined by @Eeyore who had managed to first blag his way into the press box and, from there, onto the pitch.

I can't remember much about the trip home, which would suggest to me we went via Doncaster and that pub near the station with the mile high bar before falling off the train at Kings X and into the Flying Scotsman.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

On the way up on the train we met some young lads from Burgess Hill (who must be in their 40s now :lol: ) and they sculled cider and various alcopos on the train. We found an open pub shortly after 11 and even though we consisted of a group of southerners, at least ten in number, and with three possible under-agers who couldn't speak, were quite glad to serve us for the next three or so hours. Hardly anyone else came in, either because the pub was a money laundering front or because it was a back street pub in Rotherham on a Saturday morning run by a landlady who probably could have beaten up our group single handedly.

We took a delightful walk past several boarded up properties and under a very scary looking underpass to the ground, where it looked like we'd brought less than 300 fans. One of them was @Scoffers who had either driven or gone by coach, but was highly amused at the state of inebriation, especially when Robert Codner scored the only goal at our end and I celebrated with a lap of honour the length and breadth of the terraced section.

We clung on to win 1-0 and all the players came over to celebrate with us. They were soon joined by @Eeyore who had managed to first blag his way into the press box and, from there, onto the pitch.

I can't remember much about the trip home, which would suggest to me we went via Doncaster and that pub near the station with the mile high bar before falling off the train at Kings X and into the Flying Scotsman.

Rotherham was my favourite away day. The press box served such lovely sandwiches.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quite a few of us saw a 1-0 win at Millmoor, in April 2005. We were 20th in the Championship (Rotherham were bottom). We were in real danger of relegation with a couple of games left, and we took quite a few that day. The team wore a strange all yellow away kit, with a big black seagull on the front. The club must have had a shedload of them left, because they sold them at a fiver each or something, to everyone who was travelling. The Albion end was a (small) sea of yellow.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce terrorised us, and we, on our part were never, ever going to score (with an 'attack' featuring Gary Hart and Chris McPhee), but one of their's sliced one into his own net, to hand us the points, in possibly the worst quality Championship match of all time.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Blimey, yeah I remember that, I was not at all surprised to see @Eeyore come over to us from the pitch, more front than Margate, I tell you!!

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
The 'new' Rotherham ground is terrific, IMO.

The massively steep rake of the stands (the steepest permissible under UK regulations, I think). mean that sight-lines are excellent, and you feel really close to the pitch.
Yep. Rotherham is my most favourite ground. Even though we’ve lost two of the three times I’ve been…

Port Vale, again, is a proper football ground. I missed the promotion game though I was supposed to go. I'd only been back from a long work trip to India a couple of days and had both jet lag and Ghandi's Guts. We went way before that in either late 80s or early 90s and it was great. Found a pub called the Pig and Whistle which was absolutely brilliant, chucked a beach ball around on the open terrace and then plod laid on buses back to Stoke station.

This, however, is exactly what I was after. A day out that feels like you've been fleeced at a tourist attraction rather than going to the football. Great shout.
Exactly, although, we did get a good rendition of Left Side/Right Side, going. Also, I seem to remember a certain player making his debut and one being sent off that day!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Quite a few of us saw a 1-0 win at Millmoor, in April 2005. We were 20th in the Championship (Rotherham were bottom). We were in real danger of relegation with a couple of games left, and we took quite a few that day. The team wore a strange all yellow away kit, with a big black seagull on the front. The club must have had a shedload of them left, because they sold them at a fiver each or something, to everyone who was travelling. The Albion end was a (small) sea of yellow.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce terrorised us, and we, on our part were never, ever going to score (with an 'attack' featuring Gary Hart and Chris McPhee), but one of their's sliced one into his own net, to hand us the points, in possibly the worst quality Championship match of all time.
I remember spending a large part of the journey up tearing a yellow pages into a carrier bag to be thrown onto the pitch before the game!

As you say, a woeful game of football.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
This, basically. The atmosphere is gash at West Ham and the stadium isn't a football stadium, but like you I have good personal reasons for enjoying my time there.

Palace is a ballache from start to finish. I don't even aspire for a ticket anymore. All that kettling bollocks as well as terrible last century facilities. I have a good mate who is a Palace STH and he doesn't even bother for that match. Can't be arsed to drag his 13 year old through the feral twats spewing abuse in his direction for wearing a Palace scarf. Palace away is terrible.

Yep. Palace is utterly shite. Completey over it now.

First time was for the five penalties game as a 15-year-old with a mate. Absolutely loved it.

Seen us win and draw there since and the last time, in the mid-2010s, was enough. I didn't enjoy a second of it.

Football is supposed to be fun. And a trip to Selhurst ain't fun, unless there isn't a football match on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here