Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the weather like down there?

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Help me out here - does it look like the match will go ahead? I'm seeing matches called off all over the country, but was reading on the ever-up-to-date official site about the pitch cover and how it was going to save the day.

Anyone in or around Brighton who could give me a weather update? (Except Safeway.)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
windy, raining, supposed to clear up slightly, cant see it being called off though

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
CrabtreeBHA said:
windy, raining, supposed to clear up slightly, cant see it being called off though

Cheers Crabbers, that's what I wanted to hear. When I saw Bournemuff was off I was fretting a bit, although Eastbourne was still on last I checked.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
http://www.softwair.co.uk/weather/

Rain has stopped and wind is dying down, falling to Fresh Gale Force 8 on Shoreham beach gusting to more than that. This is from the SW so at Withdean it will be less. It feels warmish and wind chill will above freezing at seven o'clock at the finish.

In other words, best go, because the TV people will probably deem it unsafe. Too windy?

Wind is dying down very rapidly, and it may have died down quite a lot by this evening. Feels just like a strong breeze outside. Too breezy for decent football. Down the pitch not cross winds as far as I can work out.

:bhasign:

Last edited:

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
perseus said:
http://www.softwair.co.uk/weather/

Rain has stopped and wind is dying down, falling to Fresh Gale Force 8 on Shoreham beach gusting to more than that. This is from the SW so at Withdean it will be less. It feels warmish and wind chill will above freezing at seven o'clock at the finish.

In other words, best go, because the TV people will probably deem it unsafe.

:bhasign:

Good job we're not playing at Middlesbrough, they'd have called it off by now.

"While the pitch is indeed perfectly playable. the stadium safety committee has advised the referee that conditions outside the ground are too dangerous. We are not willing to take the risk, however small, of our lighter supporters being washed/blown away into the River Tees.

On an unconnected subject, our six injured first-choice players are all expected to be fit again in time for the rearranged fixture next week."

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wind just done a little spell of trying to blow down the tree at the bottom of next door's garden, gusting from a Fresh Gale Force 8 to Storm Force 10 (one below Hurricane Force) and a small patch of vertical rain.

What happens if the match is on, but the conditions are too windy for the television camera? Do Albion lose the television money?

If the match is postponed, do they lose the television money as well, and only get it if the rearrranged match is televised.

At what other ground are the supporters hit on the head from falling trees?

Will the Insurance Company use the defence of "what is a reasonable person doing sitting in puddles in gale force winds under falling trees?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here