Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the seriously bestest and smartest place to lunch midweek in B&H?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No-one's mentioned Due South yet. Decent restaurant and right on the beach.

Think Terre a Terre is worth a call - fantastically imaginative cooking.

My fave is Chilli Pickle though - nice food but does look a bit canteen-like

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Sams on Paston Place seems to have a good rep, but for me Fishy Fishy.

This.

Sams in Paston place is very posh, where Tony Blair et al all ate when down for their conferences, never been myself as I'm a common bloke and would make a tit out of myself, but it is very pricey, if you go there I hope you get the contract! how about Englishs opposite the Sussex?, Havana seems to be a popular shout too

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
No-one's mentioned Due South yet. Decent restaurant and right on the beach.

Think Terre a Terre is worth a call - fantastically imaginative cooking.

My fave is Chilli Pickle though - nice food but does look a bit canteen-like

Due South is long since closed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you want to impress then go to whichever restaurant you choose the night before so you are familiar with what it offers and how it works - if you are at ease you have much more chance of impressing the client

Never ever go somewhere you haven't been before - guaranteed embarassing moments at best and a total f*** up at worst

Last edited:

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
I presume, from your comment that you don't think much of it. What is disappointing about it the quality, selection VFM?

It's part The Old Bank rib restaurant lot. Also now buying a 3rd in Brighton.
Fairly biased as they're one of our clients, but the meal we had at this one (The Hove Bank) was really good. Just surprised the bill came to so much and it seems the side dishes were really steep.
Still, I suppose it helps them pay our fees so I'll end up getting it back again !

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
I presume, from your comment that you don't think much of it. What is disappointing about it the quality, selection VFM?

Steak wasn't cooked as ordered (ordered blue,. got medium-well done, complained and the replacement ws just raw and cold), they didn't have any of the wines we wanted and the crockery was chipped. Eat quite a lot at Foxy's and Coal Shed so know what a decent steal dinner looks like and sadly this didn't measure up. Do like to support local restaurants.

Back to the theme of the thread... Graze or any Ginger-restaurant, or Côte opposite the Dome, which although a chain is pretty decent and very good value.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Not exactly a flood of great restaurant recommendations in B+H are there ? Our city could do better. Agree that Havana Spoon is pretentious and over-priced - while Pascal's is reasonable and more stylish. Havana in Brighton always feels like a good option though.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that, I think Brighton punches above its weight on decent places to eat.
1 Graze
2 Gingerman
3 Ginger Pig
4 Drakes
5 L'Eglise
6 Indian Summer
7 Chilli Pickle
8 Ginger Dog
9 Dôme
10 Terre a Terre

I'd say any of the above equal London restaurants of equivalent style and price imho.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hmm, not sure I agree with that, I think Brighton punches above its weight on decent places to eat.
1 Graze
2 Gingerman
3 Ginger Pig
4 Drakes
5 L'Eglise
6 Indian Summer
7 Chilli Pickle
8 Ginger Dog
9 Dôme
10 Terre a Terre

I'd say any of the above equal London restaurants of equivalent style and price imho.

Brighton does okay, but this is all. If you look across the whole spectrum of dining then we are certainly lacking in the true fine dining, true gastro stuff and the more imaginative cooking you see these days. I have also always been surprised we do not have a single michelin star to our name.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1 Graze
2 Gingerman
3 Ginger Pig
4 Drakes
5 L'Eglise
6 Indian Summer
7 Chilli Pickle
8 Ginger Dog
9 Dôme
10 Terre a Terre

Is 'Graze' the only Brighton restaurant that does a true taster menu?

I went with the wife last year and had a gorgeous 6 or 7 course meal (cannot remember how many now), but couldn't really find any others? Funny enough, we were influenced to go by watching Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan do that restaurant tour spoof 'The Trip'...Different wine with each course as well - lovely.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brighton does okay, but this is all. If you look across the whole spectrum of dining then we are certainly lacking in the true fine dining, true gastro stuff and the more imaginative cooking you see these days. I have also always been surprised we do not have a single michelin star to our name.

Only three Michelin stars in all of Sussex. One each at...

Curlew, Bodiam
Ockenden Manor, Cuckfield
The Pass, Horsham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here