Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What’s the price of happiness?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Where did I say my life would be worse? Clearly it wouldn't. It is just how life works, people are paid different amounts. How beautiful would it have been if from year dot everyone was paid the same whatever job they do?

If I'm on 54k and the person on 24k goes up to 54k, will the person on 74k drop to 54k? That would be a no, so put me on 74k please.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

You said you 'wouldn't be happy'

I guess if you are already thoroughly miserable then you could interpret 'not being happy' as your life not being worse. But its a stretch.

Why does it matter to you if the person on 74k drops or not? Why do you so need someone else to lose out to avoid you being unhappy?
Talk about 'the politics of envy'.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Unless your tradesman then the attitude is your taking the piss to corporate types, had a lawyer tell me she wasn’t paying my hourly rate as she earned the same amount :shrug:

Did she think you bill was "shocking"

Seriously, how on any level is that an excuse not to pay an invoice for works completed. People baffle me sometimes when I first started I did a job in Manchester and when I finished the fitting money was just outstanding and the guy refused to pay me the full amount of only about £60 for a 2 hours work, but he excuse was I was younger and still learning and he was told buy the store they only use professional floor layers who have years of experience, and I was merely an apprentice winging it...... I was 25 and been laying floors on my own since I was 17, jerk off.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Did she think you bill was "shocking"

Seriously, how on any level is that an excuse not to pay an invoice for works completed. People baffle me sometimes when I first started I did a job in Manchester and when I finished the fitting money was just outstanding and the guy refused to pay me the full amount of only about £60 for a 2 hours work, but he excuse was I was younger and still learning and he was told buy the store they only use professional floor layers who have years of experience, and I was merely an apprentice winging it...... I was 25 and been laying floors on my own since I was 17, jerk off.
This was on the phone when she was enquiring. The best one is when they haven’t got a clue what they are talking about and decide it’s a 10 minute job. The richer they are the worst they get, crying it’s expensive with three houses and a Bentley on the drive :tosser:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Sounds great unless you were already on 54k or more. If you were on 54k and somebody in the post room or the receptionist suddenly doubles or more their wages and yours didn't go up, you would not be happy.

If I was already on 54k and someone on 27k doubled their salary, I would be fine as long as I got another 10k plus.

Don't forget, people on 54k plus have often spent time and money on courses, exams and gaining experience to get to that level, so they should earn more.

Spot on.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Happiness is making memories with the people you love and care about, not getting to wound up about the the things you have no control of and laughing a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Where did I say my life would be worse? Clearly it wouldn't. It is just how life works, people are paid different amounts. How beautiful would it have been if from year dot everyone was paid the same whatever job they do?

If I'm on 54k and the person on 24k goes up to 54k, will the person on 74k drop to 54k? That would be a no, so put me on 74k please.

Sounds to me that no matter how much you were paid you’d ever be happy.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
I'd love to know the full financials of the company and ascertain if this can be maintained long term.

On a side note - what happens if any of the employees lose their 54k job where in the normal world you wouldn't be paid that much. More thank likely their bills/rent/outgoings will be consistent with their salary so how we they afford this when the next job could be 30/40K.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Sounds great unless you were already on 54k or more. If you were on 54k and somebody in the post room or the receptionist suddenly doubles or more their wages and yours didn't go up, you would not be happy.

If I was already on 54k and someone on 27k doubled their salary, I would be fine as long as I got another 10k plus.

Don't forget, people on 54k plus have often spent time and money on courses, exams and gaining experience to get to that level, so they should earn more.

Don't forget most people that earn 54k plus have been privileged and therefore feel entitled.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
54k a year it seems!

How a CEO transformed his company by setting a £54k minimum wage
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...dan-price-gravity-payments-took-1m-salary-cut

Read about Dan Price and his 70k minimum a while back, not sure what your article says (not got the time to read it right now), but in order to pay his employees that much (to not worry about money/bills), he sold his share holdings - he was a multi millionaire, paid himself the same 70k wage, and because on his new 70k salary he couldn't afford the upkeep of his multi million pad, he rented it occasionally on Airbnb to make it work.

Interestingly when he did it (in hope other bosses/companies would follow suit) he got masses of negative attacks, people saying it would never work, 70k this year all on the dole next year, there was huge pushback from other multi millionaire bosses...... But his company gravity payments grew almost 10x it's original size and took on a lot more people.....

Something else he did at the beginning to fund the employees pay rise, was sell his expensive car and bought a 12 year old Audi runaround. According to his employees he'd made no secret of his love of the Tesla Model S, so remarkably all his employees secretly clubbed together over 6 months, all chipping in to do this in return for him..... It's a beautiful story that shows greed isn't the only answer.

Last edited:

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
I'd love to know the full financials of the company and ascertain if this can be maintained long term.

On a side note - what happens if any of the employees lose their 54k job where in the normal world you wouldn't be paid that much. More thank likely their bills/rent/outgoings will be consistent with their salary so how we they afford this when the next job could be 30/40K.

??? Parachute payments?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Don't forget most people that earn 54k plus have been privileged and therefore feel entitled.

What utter b0llocks.

I know quite a few people who earn that or more and they all work hard, that's what they are entitled to.

Got a mate who is worth a lot of money, owns quite a few businesses and works more hours than anyone I know and takes more risks than most people can deal with.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I guess enough to live where you want ( within reason ie not necessarily Mayfair ! ) pay all your bills, and live the lifestyle you are happy with and desire. For some people £50k a year would satisfy their expectations for others £250,000 would still not be enough.

Everyone is different I guess. That’s why a good education is so important nowdays if you want the best chance to get on in life. Also a drive and desire to want to do well for yourself and your family ( if you have one )

I don’t agree that gender or race play much a part in the UK nowdays , it is based mostly on ability and intellect. Very easy to give excuses for not getting on.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
But it's not.
Age, race, class and sex are all bigger factors than ability and effort.

I grew up in a mining village in South Yorkshire. My dad worked as skilled labour in the steel industry, my mum did evening work in the local cinema. We had nothing & then Mrs thatcher took that away too. I left school with bare minimum grades. My dad died at 42 due to industrial illness.

I’ve since gained a professional qualification, put myself through university twice, and am going back again in September for 2 years (while working full time).

My boss, a director, is a woman and has a similar story to me. Of our six directors only two are men. Most of my senior management colleagues are women too, and two of them have BAME heritage.

I earn more than £54k. If my PA were to be awarded a salary increase to £54k as part of a social equity project I’d be asking questions.

Be careful when you generalise [emoji52]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here