Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the most DEPRESSING money you've had to spend ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
its going to be the 4k i am going to have to drop on the eldest to get braces now the NHS deem them not to be quite bad enough to qualify for free.....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
£2K on a Moben kitchen. This was in 1985. Wife nagged me we really REALLY needed one to improve the value of the house so we could sell it. Broke my heart parting with the cash. Seemed to work though. House duly sold as soon as it was put on the market. Couple of months later we were driving past the old house, and there was the shiny new kitchen, sitting in a skip.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Car tyres! My GOD, I honestly had NO idea how expensive they now are.

I've luckily had a company car for about 12 years, and my last (owned) car was a little Volvo 440. Last time I remeber paying for tyres, they cost £40 each.

My newest company car is on a different lease to the previous ones, and we now have to pay for the tyres (and claim it back mercifully).

Two tyres. Plus re-alignment. FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS. Wtf?
What sort of tyres are these? Tyre for my Yaris (very small) cost £45. Tyres for my work van (big) cost £55. Always surprised when people say they spend hundreds on tyres but I guess they're for performance cars?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What sort of tyres are these?

Bloody expensive ones!

No - its nothing in the realm of 'performance car'. Its a Volkswagen CC. I love it, but its really nothing spectacular.

In fairness to the tyre guy, he did call me and ask "Do you want me to replace with the same tyres that are on it, or cheaper alternatives?" (As its not my money) it seemed sensible to put the same ones on. I didn't actually ask HOW much they were.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
How ever much the train ticket to Blackburn was that season it got called off. Either last season or the season before?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
£600 on new fencing around back garden to keep to keep neighbours dog out.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The years and years I spent paying rent. I could have 3 houses or a bedsit in Brighton with that money.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
another car one. i own a taxi firm so I spend loads on fuel , licences tyres etc.. however , I have another car , an sti impreza. I very rarely drive it , maybe 1000 miles a year so like to look after it. Time for Mot and was told that all four tyres had loads of tread but had perished . I was then also told that the front discs had cracked and so had the inner housing for one of the headlights. The cost for all those parts..... £1100 without labour !!! that's more than ive put in it petrol in the year. luckily my mate is a mechanic so labour was minimal

Perished tyres? Were they Michelins?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
The 10K I spent on my first wedding which I was still paying off long after the wasp chewing witch had flown off.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I once spent 3 hundred pounds on a locking wheel nut. I had a flat tyre which needed changing and as I inserted the nut it broke as I turned the spanner rendering it useless. By the time the robbing b'stards at Renault had finished the whole lot come to £300 for Parts, labour and presumably the time they spent laughing at the bill. The same car also cost me £500 for a new exhaust. Although the car was under warranty they insisted I bought it in to have a look. Given they were in Coventry and my car was broken down in Slough I didn't have many options but to pay the dodgy mechanic making that sucking through his teeth 'This'll cost you noise' as he crawled under the car.

Moral of the story. Never ever buy a French car.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The money I'll spend on a new bathroom mirror this week.

The predecessor was bought last week and it was carefully affixed to the bathroom wall at 5:30pm yesterday. At 8:30pm it fell off the wall and smashed on the floor.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The £1000 on 4 car tyres last week sprang to mind until I remembered the £26000 stamp duty that disappeared into thin air a decade ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here