Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the furthest place East and West I could see from the end of the pier?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I could see the Isle of Wight when I lived on the 17th floor of Chartwell Court.

Can't see it from here though.

They used to claim that you can see the Isle of Wight from the top of the helter skelter on the pier.

I'd guess it would have to be low tide, and a clear day for that to be possible. I know you can see it from the Dyke, but that is 200m higher.

Is Chanctonbury the big hill that you can see in the background looking west?

I'm loathe to start another thread on views from Sussex but I am very partial to contemplating my navel and admiring the views from Chanctonbury and Cissbury Rings where you can see the IOW on even a not so sunny day.

Sussex countryside is feckin beautiful.

Having a panoramic view of the Downs (not The Downes, ahem) every day, makes me want to put up posters of some CONCRETE, some proper nasty PROJECTS and COUNCIL ESTATES!

Hactually, Chanctonbury Ring is always magnificent from my windows, especially later in the day when the sun sinks into the pollen and shimmer.

The Adur passing under the wooden bridge, Lancing College Chapel and the cement works, winding up through Bramber and Upper Beeding - is also worth a regular visit. Few places in Britain are as pleasing to behold.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yeah, that's what's cool about them. I often think they'd have made a brilliant backdrop for a Joy Division video

Wouldnt they just. Especially at dusk when they are EXCEPTIONALLY creepy!!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If your eye is at sea level, and what you are looking at is at sea level, you can see about 4 miles. Curvature of the Earth an all that.

So how come I can clearly see Eastbourne from Bexhill beach, even if I was swimming in the sea, which is 15 miles away

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's about the same distance to Littlehampton from Brighton and you can only see the tall bits there.
You can probably see the tall bits to the west of Eastbourne and Beachy Head. Unless you swim a long way out, Sovereign Harbour will get in the way of line of sight to most of the rest of Eastbourne from Bexhill.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The only thing mildly creepy about the cement works is the fact that every august when the moons full under a cloudless sky between the hours of 3-4 am and your driving south past it,all the broken windows miraculously repair themselves and if you slow down to 20mph you can see the reflection of your ford capri in said windows as you cruise by.B4 you scoff at the very notion of such poppycock best thee swat up on the curse of the blue circle legend..Creepy pfft :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here