Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What's the etiquette with evening dinner?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Always eat at a table. When kids were at home, always tried to make sure we all sat down for dinner together every day, no TV, phones etc. Kitchen Table seats 6 so normally there, but Sundays, friends, family round etc would eat in Dining Room and have music in background.

Now just Me and Mrs Wz but still always sit at table in kitchen (there is TV in kitchen often on these days). Xmas day this year we only had 4 of us and for the first time ever, didn't use Dining Room, but Mrs Wz doesn't want to downsize :facepalm:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The one time the five of us all sit together (as long as my teacher wife is home which is not all that often for dinner about 6.30 if she isn’t then the four of us eat with her slightly forlorn looking spot empty). No phones. No TV. No radio. We discuss our days. We argue. We laugh. We get a bit sad. We smile. We wind each other up. Has always been like this since the kids were very young. Now they are 14, 12 and 12. Anyone who picks up phone during the meal has to clear up everything after the meal and sort out a dessert for the next day. It has never happened. When dad visits he sometimes gets phone out and the kids make him tidy up. He won’t learn.

I love it. Best time of day. Proper family time.

Meal finishes then they generally bugger off back to bedrooms to chat with mates.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Always sit at the table in the dining room to eat dinner, very rarely get through dinner without getting up to let the pup out for a slash or shout at the pup for causing some sort of chaos……sometimes she has a nap when we are eating :smile:
That's no way to talk about your child.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Always sit at the island in the kitchen if it’s just the 2 of us (don’t have any kids). When we have friends/family round for dinner it’s at the dining room table. If kids are in attendance they don’t get fed unless they’re at the table with us, and they eat what we are eating.

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
And this is the beauty of NSC. Everyone rows with someone, and everyone assumes they know everything about the person they are rowing with, and everyone will carry a row over to other threads. The evening dinner protocol busts a few theories.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The one time the five of us all sit together (as long as my teacher wife is home which is not all that often for dinner about 6.30 if she isn’t then the four of us eat with her slightly forlorn looking spot empty). No phones. No TV. No radio. We discuss our days. We argue. We laugh. We get a bit sad. We smile. We wind each other up. Has always been like this since the kids were very young. Now they are 14, 12 and 12. Anyone who picks up phone during the meal has to clear up everything after the meal and sort out a dessert for the next day. It has never happened. When dad visits he sometimes gets phone out and the kids make him tidy up. He won’t learn.

Meal finishes then they generally bugger off back to bedrooms to chat with mates.
Make the most, it really is such a brilliant time at that age

Still one of my favourite things in the whole world, having dinner with my kids and their partners (out or at home, arguing, laughing, getting a bit sad, winding each other up, and they're a lot older than yours) (y)

Last edited:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Eat Dinner and most meals, unless just a sandwich at the table in the kitchen. Mobile devices not allowed at the table.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
dining.gif

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford

You have a pretty much perfect family life there. Keep that, cherish that. Don't forget it and don't throw it away.

When I was 12 my dinner was whatever neighbour was looking after us, or we looked after ourselves. Don't get me wrong, we weren't neglected or anything, everyone looked after each others kids, was just parents working to pay the bills like loads of communities up and down the country.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We eat at the table, usually outside. No phones and no tv or music. Who would want to interrupt the kids bickering with such things.

Autistic kids with sensory processing disorders so often 3 meals have been prepared. Usually me two of the and my daughter gets herself something.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I hardly eat these days due to health reasons if I have a big dinner it leaves me in agony. Christmas Day was a disaster spent the afternoon in pain after trying to eat Christmas dinner. Today I didn’t eat all day which is normal until around seven when I managed some chicken salad.
The rest of the clan eat dinner when they want no set times or anything.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I hardly eat these days due to health reasons if I have a big dinner it leaves me in agony. Christmas Day was a disaster spent the afternoon in pain after trying to eat Christmas dinner. Today I didn’t eat all day which is normal until around seven when I managed some chicken salad.
The rest of the clan eat dinner when they want no set times or anything.
Doesn’t sound good mate, have you found out the exact reason this happens?
I have a digestive issue, took ages to get diagnosed, under control now thankfully.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
You have a pretty much perfect family life there. Keep that, cherish that. Don't forget it and don't throw it away.

When I was 12 my dinner was whatever neighbour was looking after us, or we looked after ourselves. Don't get me wrong, we weren't neglected or anything, everyone looked after each others kids, was just parents working to pay the bills like loads of communities up and down the country.
Fear not. I do. We are lucky. Dad was always away when I was a kid so made it my mission to do something that meant I could be here for my kids. I have to work some evenings but I see them in the morning and evening before I have to work. I know everyone treasures family but when my wife was pregnant with my twin daughters she was diagnosed with cancer and for a while it looked like none of them would make it. But here we are 13 years later and they all are. Lucky man.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I sit at the dining table to eat. almost always.

occaisionally at a coffee bar corner bit on the end of the kitchen on. Stool if for example dinner clashes with football.

never eat a meal on the sofa, uncomfortable and just wrong.

nearly always have music on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here