Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What's the best way to respond if a stranger asks to borrow your phone?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I would not hand my phone to anyone, at best I would make the call for them and put it on loudspeaker and hold the phone so they could hold a brief conversation, a conversation I would want to know the basics about prior to me dialing the number!

I can't understand anyone just handing a stranger their phone? in many cases nowadays it would be like handing someone your wallet with anything from £350 upwards with cash in it!!!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have encountered this tricky problem far too many times.

The solution however is very simple.

Unplug your landline in the hallway and take the phone with you to football.

When asked simply produce the phone and explain how you are having similar problems and cant find a socket anywhere.

Hit yourself in the nuts at the same time,then run around in circles.

i have found 9 times out of 10 the situation rapidly resolves itself

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
image.jpg

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
No is a perfectly acceptable answer.

Everyone who owns a mobile has a responsibility to ensure it has enough charge before they leave the house or a manner of charging it whilst away from home.

If a stranger came up to you and said "can you lend me £500 pounds?" I'm guessing most would respond in the negative but the average smartphone amounts to that in replacement costs these days & I doubt insurance would cover this as you willingly handed it over.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did this. He looked surprised that anyone would say no to his request to lend a phone to a stranger in the pitch dark.

This has happened to me 3 times I think. I've let the person use my phone all 3 times. In all three times there was nothing to make me think the person was anything other than genuine and I think I am a reasonable judge of situations. Seems there are a lot of very suspicious people one here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it would be like handing someone your wallet with anything from £350 upwards with cash in it!!!

This is an utterly rubbish analogy isnt is it? They might be of similar value but the scenarios are totally different.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would not hand my phone to anyone, at best I would make the call for them and put it on loudspeaker and hold the phone so they could hold a brief conversation, a conversation I would want to know the basics about prior to me dialing the number! I can't understand anyone just handing a stranger their phone? in many cases nowadays it would be like handing someone your wallet with anything from £350 upwards with cash in it!!!

Why are you so suspicious?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Miserable bloody bunch.

How about saying "Sure - no problem, happy to help."

Having read some of these posts I'm starting to think a lot of Albion fans are a bit weird as opposed to miserable.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seriously, if anyone is worried about just saying a direct 'no' to someone, then just use the no battery / no credit excuse. They really won't ask you to prove it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here