Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best strike force you've ever seen against the Albion outside the top division?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Who was up top with Dean Ashton when Crewe stuffed us at Withers? There was a side at Priestfield that annihilated us. They were newly promoted from the conference and had a couple of players who went on to great things. Maybe Halifax?

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Wright and Bright too!
Also Sherringham and Cascarino, 2 down inside 3 minutes if I remember rightly.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
In recent times , Vydra and Deeney at the amex absolutely slaughtered us that night .

This is the only time I think we've been completely outplayed in a league game at the Amex.

Can't believe Vydra has gone back to Watford - would have liked to have seen him in our side this season. If we could have afforded to buy Baldock and pay his wages, can't see why we couldn't have got him.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Can't believe Vydra has gone back to Watford - would have liked to have seen him in our side this season. If we could have afforded to buy Baldock and pay his wages, can't see why we couldn't have got him.

He would have been brilliant, but it depends on a) whether we wanted him and b) if he wanted to come - go to a different club entirely or go back to a club he enjoyed considerable success at? I don't think it's always a case of "we can afford him = he will join".

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Blimey, that was painful to watch.

Mrs Grombleton watched it as well and has one question: Why was there a car (a Reliant Robin?) parked in the corner? It can be seen at about 6:30.

Was before my time but in later 70's I seem to remember a disabled guy in a blue robin at every game. Did he park at the side of the pitch?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Ellington and Roberts, ably assisted by Kavanagh, Bullard, McCulloch and Teale destroyed us within quarter of an hour at Withdean. They were were superb that day. 4-2 was an incredibly flattering scoreline.

Flew in from Switzerland hoping we were going to sneak it that day. After 15 mins I thought it was going to be double figures...

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Who was up top with Dean Ashton when Crewe stuffed us at Withers? There was a side at Priestfield that annihilated us. They were newly promoted from the conference and had a couple of players who went on to great things. Maybe Halifax?

Geoff Horsfield for Halifax?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This was the forward line up i was going to give too. (Although i only saw a 2-2 draw as a arrived several minutes late to the ground) There may have been better but this sticks in my mind.

There was congestion, I seem to recall. I was usually quite prompt and sat down as they stroked in the second.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lester, Johnson and Harewood up front for Forest against us at the City Ground - they weren't the best individually but as a collective their movement destroyed us for 70 mins (we were 3-0 down) - then we got 1 back and Mr Jones hit a 35 yd screamer to bring it back to 3-2 which it ended... If we'd had another 10 mins I reckon we would have won as the last 20 was wave after wave of attacks... But back to the original question, those 3 ripped us to shreds for that first 70 mins and I haven't seen anything like it since

Could not agree more. The interplay from that forest front 3 was something else that night.

Went to the pub with some forest supporting mates after the game. They talked about offering 3/4 million for Jones after that display. His best performance in a brighton shirt by a mile.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Agree with the Wigan votes. Also remember Sheffield Wednesday ripping us apart 0-4 at the Goldstone with an ageing Trevor Francis up front giving a real masterclass on forward play

yeah was at the the sheff wed game (night match) glad someone else remember's this

was at the 8-2 aswell,but it become a bit of a comedy show towards the end,the north stand were even cheering the Rovers goals,it was that unreal

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Another vote for Sheridan and Francis in our 4-0 loss against Wednesday. Several classes above us that night.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009

Mark Rivers and Dean Ashton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here