Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I watched the very interesting story of Motown on Sky Arts last night and really enjoyed a very stripped back version of this. Can’t find the clip but this is pretty good too. This song still has as much relevance today as it did when released

https://youtu.be/fPkM8F0sjSw

The whole album is a classic - Mercy, Mercy Me, Save The Children - just brilliant!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I see you're a Leslie West fan. We saw him play in Deal 10-15 years ago :love:

RIP Leslie, there's a video of him on YouTube on stage a few weeks after he'd had a leg amputated sitting in a wheelchair, oxygen supply on the back of it, Strat on his lap playing and singing Mississippi Queen as loud and great as when he first sang it back in 1968.
Legend
:rock:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ooh it’s a corner;10319575 said:
The whole album is a classic - Mercy, Mercy Me, Save The Children - just brilliant!

He had a fall out with Berry Gordy and the album release was delayed as Motown was not into political statement music,

Gordy later admitted that he was very wrong in fighting Marvin about it.

Smokey Robinson’s all time favourite album too

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Doing a little decorating this morning and that means Mary Chapin Carpenter. Two great songs I love, so the other can be tomorrow. I'm not going to break my own rules!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not posted on here for a few days, just got back from the psychobilly meeting near Barcelona excellent, seeing old mates…
Been to long, these played and I forgot how good they are..
Straight up fast rock’n’roll simple as feck.

https://youtu.be/HP6YqP5cvok

Another cracker. I smelt the vague aroma of resurrected Kilmister .... not complaining.

Which brings me to a question (if I may). Pour a cup of tea and help yourself to a bourbon, or one of those other thingies...

How much does genre influence your preferences?

I say that as I see you are a bit of a monogenre poster.

Personally I cannot drag myself into shite I hate (obviously) such as your Biffy Clyros or anything else that offends me for no special reason (being inexplicably popular is usually sufficient).

Anything odd or mad, however, is worth a moment of investigation.

So.... do you do other genres?

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Another cracker. I smelt the vague aroma of resurrected Kilmister .... not complaining.

Which brings me to a question (if I may). Pour a cup of tea and help yourself to a bourbon, or one of those other thingies...

Personally I cannot drag myself into shite I hate (obviously) such as your Biffy Clyros or anything else that offends me for no special reason (being inexplicably popular is usually sufficient).

Yep, straight off of a Motörhead album, including the Ace Of Spades riff.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I promised more Mary Chapin Carpenter and here it is. 6.30 am and I've listened twice already. Such a powerful song especially the way she sings in this live version:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Ha, no worries.

I thought what I posted on here covered a fairly wide aspect of what I like, but there you go, and I can see why you think I post one genre.

Obviously my first love is Psychobilly, and it is more of a lifestyle choice now, I have seen all the bands it has had it's hayday in this country, but new bands do appear and add something new to the music and style, which is anyway a mix of genres, from country, rockabilly, punk, 60s garage, surf, and ska, which makes it appealing to me, no airs and graces, no superstars (although one or two think they are) a genre entirely derided by the music industry, that funds it's self, fans put on the gigs, and festivals all over the world, and release their own records or start labels, The Mexicans on The West coast, down to Brazil and Japan, all have healthy underground scenes.

As for do I like other genres and styles, of course I do, or else I would not be able to enjoy the cocktail.
I started listening to my dads country and Eddie Cochran records back as 6 year old, then the rock'n'roll love in arrived in the 70s and revival bands like Crazy Caven lorded by the Teddyboys, oh how I wanted to be a Ted at 8, they started to look back into the vaults of old record labels in America and started finding long lost Rockabilly records bringing them back over here and playing them in the clubs, younger kids slightly older then me started going to gigs and the old teds hated that, and a rockabilly scene was born, at the same time bored punks started going to the young rockabilly clubs, that were pretty violent at the time and influences and styles mixed = Psychobilly

I listen to anything to be honest, I will give it a whirl, but staples are, Blues, like Bo Diddly, and Doctor Ross, Country like Jimmy Drftwood and Marty Robins and of course JC, Rockabilly, I am not a fan of straight up rock'n'roll as I find commercial.
60s garage like count five and the monks, 60s surf, bands like the rolling stones, (hate the beatles) through to Ska, 80s Oi and some punk like the dead kennedys, Cowpunk like the Waltons from Germany, Ska, 2 Tone, 80s Indie the Smiths, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, James, through to First Aid kit and some of the new (authentic country) like Charley Crockett and Hank 111

Is that varied enough ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here