[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Did you see them live? A mate of mine saw them at Futurama 1 in Leeds (1979) and said at the time they were shite. Fast forward 42 years and he now says they were brilliant :lolol: (I didn't have the heart to say 'but 40 years ago you said'.....).

FWIW my favourite album of their's is the official live double. Like you I can't name any of the tracks, even though I know many of the tracks' names. Weird indeed :thumbsup:

Never saw them.
Too young, I got into them in 81 after Ian's death.
Back then, they had a reputation of being shit live, which I expect had more to do with Hannet's production making the studio songs different to the live versions,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never saw them.
Too young, I got into them in 81 after Ian's death.
Back then, they had a reputation of being shit live, which I expect had more to do with Hannet's production making the studio songs different to the live versions,

Quite. Very odd because the live double album is stunning. This track is a masterpiece despite the guitar error at the start. But listen to the crowd reaction. Rather than recognising they are witnessing one of the finest, most poignant performances, with jaw dropping vocals, intensity and power, that anyone will see ever, they are chatting and not paying attention. And so it goes...... my track of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLphLYinJH4

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
love Magazine.

I'm reading Barry Adamson's memoir atm ..... talk about reveal all! :blush:

I saw their first ever gig in London (at the Nashville). We were so up for it. Devoto wanders onto the stage at the start and says 'Read any good books, lately?' and it was instant :love: . Then Definitive Gaze starts (I think it was that, albeit setlist.fm suggests it was Shot by both sides). Emotional.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
was a pity Chris Hawkins cut it off before it ended + talked over it too

Exactly. Most tracks from times past are short enough anyway.

This isn't a new thing .... the awful Steve Wright did this back in the 80's. Strangely he'd be dead quiet for the entire length of singles by The Eagles or Don Henley, whilst interrupting New Wave and Punk music with silly sounds or his inane "facts". :wanker:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite. Very odd because the live double album is stunning. This track is a masterpiece despite the guitar error at the start. But listen to the crowd reaction. Rather than recognising they are witnessing one of the finest, most poignant performances, with jaw dropping vocals, intensity and power, that anyone will see ever, they are chatting and not paying attention. And so it goes...... my track of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLphLYinJH4

And to think that a load of old-timers reckon musicians post 1975 couldn't play.

Step forward self taught 20 year olds Morris, Hook and Sumner. No childhood at a public school or paid music tuition, just instinctive geniuses.

One of the greatest songs ever created. I prefer the vinyl version, Curtis's vocals honed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly. Most tracks from times past are short enough anyway.

This isn't a new thing .... the awful Steve Wright did this back in the 80's. Strangely he'd be dead quiet for the entire length of singles by The Eagles or Don Henley, whilst interrupting New Wave and Punk music with silly sounds or his inane "facts". :wanker:

One reason I stopped listening to anything apart from John Peel (in the 70s and onwards). Total lack of respect, awareness and, yes, craft.

One thing I love about Nicky Campbell on R5 is he lets a good guest carry on talking and will delay the news by 5 minutes or more if he sees fit. He let Ricky Gervaise chat with and essentially interview the Archbishop of Canterbury for 15 minues one morning, instead of going to the news. Nihal gets a bit panicky and closes the interview in time for the news but does it with great skill. Mr Potatoe Head Chiles just turns into an arse, transparently not listening to the guest and just making irritable noises while the guest speaks.

Talking over music is for Smashy Nicey DJs at crap weddings where it is probably necessary to explain to the hard of thinking guests what is happening "I just played a record by Abba and it was great!"

(No it wasn't. It was shit. And you're a ****).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One reason I stopped listening to anything apart from John Peel (in the 70s and onwards). Total lack of respect, awareness and, yes, craft.

One thing I love about Nicky Campbell on R5 is he lets a good guest carry on talking and will delay the news by 5 minutes or more if he sees fit. He let Ricky Gervaise chat with and essentially interview the Archbishop of Canterbury for 15 minues one morning, instead of going to the news. Nihal gets a bit panicky and closes the interview in time for the news but does it with great skill. Mr Potatoe Head Chiles just turns into an arse, transparently not listening to the guest and just making irritable noises while the guest speaks.

Talking over music is for Smashy Nicey DJs at crap weddings where it is probably necessary to explain to the hard of thinking guests what is happening "I just played a record by Abba and it was great!"

(No it wasn't. It was shit. And you're a ****).

That’s reassuring, great minds and all that.

We’ve discussed NC before, he’s amazing - genuine, empathetic, gently charming without sleeze/smugness, a listener. A great referee too when they have a Right Wing Immovable Object from Wakefield warring with an arrogant Woke Know-It-All Irresistible Force from Islington ….. I love those dust ups really :lolol:.

Totally transformed from the faux NC who presented a game show and wore next to nothing in silly The Scum/The Mirror articles 30 years ago. He’s far too intelligent.

Chiles is erratic. Really good a couple of days ago, but often on Friday’s a miserable, cynical sod and he lets his personal political bias show in his endless sarcasm, imo.

Nihal. - a good guy, I love his interviews with celebs or eg ordinary folk suffering. I must admit that when he over does the middle aged man saying “Bro” or “When I Was DJ-ing” thing over and over, I get bored.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s reassuring, great minds and all that.

We’ve discussed NC before, he’s amazing - genuine, empathetic, gently charming without sleeze/smugness, a listener. A great referee too when they have a Right Wing Immovable Object from Wakefield warring with an arrogant Woke Know-It-All Irresistible Force from Islington ….. I love those dust ups really :lolol:.

Totally transformed from the faux NC who presented a game show and wore next to nothing in silly The Scum/The Mirror articles 30 years ago. He’s far too intelligent.

Chiles is erratic. Really good a couple of days ago, but often on Friday’s a miserable, cynical sod and he lets his personal political bias show in his endless sarcasm, imo.

Nihal. - a good guy, I love his interviews with celebs or eg ordinary folk suffering. I must admit that when he over does the middle aged man saying “Bro” or “When I Was DJ-ing” thing over and over, I get bored.

So spooky...same page and all that :thumbsup:

Right, Grand Designs becons :rock:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports