Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I really like the Hiatus Kaiyote album from a couple of years back, but today I heard an older song that has a feature on it from the wonderful Q-Tip - lovely.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Peace Piece is a jazz piece recorded by Bill Evans in December 1958 for his album Everybody Digs Bill Evans. Evans had used it earlier during the session for his version of "Some Other Time" from Leonard Bernstein's musical On the Town. It also reappeared in the opening to "Flamenco Sketches", which Evans recorded with Miles Davis the following year.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
See what you think of this [MENTION=33745]marlowe[/MENTION]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Hwn-cNvqA

Thanks. Its not a genre of music I usually listen to but I'm always open to new suggestions. The first thing it brought to my mind, which I could personally relate to was Joy Division's Closer which is an album I really like.

I delved a little deeper into M‡яc▲ll▲ to see what I could find out about them and coincidentally on their tumblr page I saw they recently recommended an album by Nurse with Wound which is a band I discovered only last week, who in turn I came across through my recent discovery of Current 93 whose work I find really interesting. I'm not sure it'll be your bag, but you never know. (John Balance of Coil has worked with Current 93).

You probably go on the same type of voyages of musical discovery as I do where you discover one artist that you like and then you conscientiously look for connecting threads to find other artists or music of a similar style. Often what you discover is something far removed from what you were originally looking for. I love going down those musical rabbit warrens.

Sometimes someone pops up who you already know but in connection with something you were previously unfamiliar with. Its also not necessarily other musical artists that form part of the chain of discovery, but also visual artists, writers, poets, film, tv etc.

The chain I followed which led me to posting Coil's version of Tainted Love was:
Robbie Basho (introduced to me last week) from which I followed on to:
Current 93 - to:
Count Eric Stenbock (19th C Swedish poet and total loon) - to:
Marc Almond (already known to me) - to:
Coil's version of Tainted Love

So in those four connecting steps I went from Robbie Basho to Coil, whose musical styles couldnt be more disparate.

Another coincidence in your musical suggestion is that M‡яc▲ll▲ or Mircalla are from Sweden as was Count Eric Stenbock the 19thC lunatic poet who was one of my stepping stones of discovery. Stenbock wrote a book called "The True Story of a Vampire" whose narrator is called Carmela, whose name is derived from the character of another vampire book called Carmilla whose protagonist is called Mircalla (anagram of Carmilla).

I'm sure you didn't want to know any of that and you will probably now have second thoughts before suggesting a piece of music to me ever again.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I've always been a sucker for a 1, 2, 3, 4 intro, Bruce always does it great and this band Taxi, who were a Gibraltarian band who were big in Spain c 2006/7https://youtu.be/0IgSw6s65HA, also quite liked a 1, 2, 3 , 4 intro. This came on a Latino playlist I've got in the car today and immediately had me reaching to crank the volume up......

https://youtu.be/0IgSw6s65HA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here