Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Keep thinking this thread will run out of steam, but there have been some epic sounds (rip Epic Soundtracks) on here lately

https://youtu.be/l4t0K8OQfQA

How dare you suggest this thread will run out of steam. :tantrum:

I was reading about the sad recent passing of Paddy Maloney which drew me to an album I'd forgotten. In the days before streaming or being able to afford to buy music at will, I was always interested in The Long Black Veil by The Chieftains with a star studded guest list. This morning I finally listened- I should have done sooner. A fine album and this is just one of several tracks I could have chosen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon

A superb nostalgia inducing track. Had to listen to it again after he passed this week - John Miles' Remember Yesterday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reminded due to a bbc2 doc on The Police just now. Love it.

Yeah, that was a great programme. Did you watch Dermot and Sting immediately after?

I loved the Police when I got into pop in the late 70s, after a strict diet of punk and reggae from 76-78.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, that was a great programme. Did you watch Dermot and Sting immediately after?

I loved the Police when I got into pop in the late 70s, after a strict diet of punk and reggae from 76-78.

Yep, loved that interview. I could easily of missed it, so elated. Must've been so moving for Sting to see footage of his mum and nan, for the first time.

He's confident, but why not, he created a wide variety of unique songs that made millions happy.

I love that time for music, I was 13, 14. One of my older brothers, the same age as you, was a great influence on my tastes. He'd have been down The Inn Place, Alhambra, Basement, Papillon at the same time.

Also; XTC, The Jam, Blondie, Kate Bush, The Specials, The Skids, Sparks (synths phase started), cough .... ELO, Chic, Roxy, Squeeze, Stranglers.

The late 70's, what a time to be alive, musically.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I will never tire of hearing this song and it’s a thrill, to me, to find different versions. I think these guys are having a lot of fun in this one

https://youtu.be/dxKIWcuLWHA

The same here, it's simply magical. Evoking a feel I have in retrospect for the 60's, laid back (doped) vocals and a wall of guitar sound from a bunch of geniuses.

I was a very late comer to the Byrds version, I only knew Dylan's.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
If you're going to cover a classic by Otis Redding it had better be good, I think The Black Crowes did a pretty good job with this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here