Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the best FOOTBALL book you have ever read ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I like the idea of Bill Bryson writing a book on football hooligans - a lighthearted look at knives, slashing and footstomping along the quaint backwaters of English football. Sadly, Among the Thugs was by Bill Buford.

A lot of faves have been mentioned already, particularly the Garry Nelson two. I'll mention two more - Arthur Hopcraft's The Football Man and David Peace's Damned Utd - a work of fiction that's probably not too far from the truth.

The one I'd like to read and haven't got round to it yet is How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won the F.A.Cup ... maybe this year
I'd got really excited about the idea of Bill Bryson writing that book!

As mentioned earlier, Provided You Don't Kiss Me is by far the best football book I've read so far.

Great thread though, going on holiday next week so Amazon is gonna get hammered tomorrow....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The two Nelson books are good - a bit of reality amongst the stories of millionaire footballers.

But by far the best I've ever read (three times in fact) is Dynamo. Astonishing, heart breaking story.

Last edited:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Really enjoyed "Journeyman" by Ben Smith.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bill Bryson's father was a sports writer and I imagine he'd do a great job on football. I know from a mutual friend that he was planning a baseball book.

Baseball is mentioned a lot in his books. It's a big part of his book One Summer: America 1927 (another one that I want to get round to reading)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
too many - and great thread so I can read some more.

enjoyed this:

386181432199650a7521a84a640f5757.jpeg

anyone read this ?

51B9Gzp-VgL.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
too many - and great thread so I can read some more.

enjoyed this:

386181432199650a7521a84a640f5757.jpeg

anyone read this ?

51B9Gzp-VgL.jpg

Yes, a good read. Dave 'Beer Monster' McVay is a great guy, who worked for the Times and then the Telegraph, based - as you'd imagine - in the East Midlands. He still does stuff for Backpass, who have also serialised the book. It really is muck 'n' nettles stuff and makes Garry Nelson's books seem like life at Barcelona by comparison.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Baseball is mentioned a lot in his books. It's a big part of his book One Summer: America 1927 (another one that I want to get round to reading)

I just finished that about a month ago. As a baseball fan, I'd have liked more on Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, but that's just me. It's a remarkable feat of research.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Who is, as I am sure you are aware, the U-15/U-16s head coach at the Albion (and was acting U-18s coach in the latter part of 2014-15 when Simon Rusk was promoted to the U-21s).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Many of my favourites already mentioned.

Remember this being excellent.

51HoIOmKpNL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I like the idea of Bill Bryson writing a book on football hooligans - a lighthearted look at knives, slashing and footstomping along the quaint backwaters of English football. Sadly, Among the Thugs was by Bill Buford.

A lot of faves have been mentioned already, particularly the Garry Nelson two. I'll mention two more - Arthur Hopcraft's The Football Man and David Peace's Damned Utd - a work of fiction that's probably not too far from the truth.

The one I'd like to read and haven't got round to it yet is How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won the F.A.Cup ... maybe this year

Oops! Noted, my bad!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I really enjoyed "All played Out" by Pete Davies.

It's the story of Italia 90 - from the players and fans point of view, and how English football changed during that World Cup.

I was there in Italy during the Summer of 1990, and the book brought back many memories. What a brilliant World Cup that was.

Loved this. Fever Pitch has to right up there for me too.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I read the first one, and was totally underwhelmed. No names = no interest for me. It was an elongated equivalent of a generic bullshit Sunsport hack story where "a source revealed that....." blah.

Totally agree. Didn't really enjoy either. See there is a Secret Wag one now. :ffsparr:

Both of Nelson's and Steve Claridge's are long time favourite's of mine.

I'm probably going to be on my own here but I found both of Nelson's books a bit dull. Claridge's is worth a read.

Yeah, worth a read for the bits about Steve Evans alone. Also worrying about how much money sloshes about in the game even further down the pyramid.

anyone read this ?

51B9Gzp-VgL.jpg

Yep, not a classic but amazing the lifestyle players lead back then so worth a read.

Another couple of suggestions from me....

Calvin Wade has done a couple of football books. First one he follows the winner from the extra premlim round of the FA cup to the final. Been done to death and plenty of other books about the same but he follows it up the next season doing the same with the FA Trophy.

Hooli books are all much of a much and all pretty crap as a rule of thumb. Eurotrashed by Dougie Brimson is probably one of the better ones.

Another vote for miracle of castel di sangro.

And if you've not read it....Brighton but only at home.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Someone needs to tell Bill Bryson to write it.

I think Soccernomics is the only football I've read. It's a great read.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Anything by Duncan Hamilton is worth readings, especially his one on Clough. His book 'The Footballer Who Could Fly' is wonderful if - like me - you only communicated with your dad through football and have a soft spot for Newcastle (the city).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here