Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the 12 best gigs you have been to?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's not in any order other than 'when they come into my head'. I humbly apologise.

- Foo Fighters: Wembley 2008. Went on the Saturday (they played Friday as well) - raining through All my Life meant I danced like a retard...then they brought out Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones...

- Funeral For a Friend: Shepherds Bush, 2010: Their guitarist was leaving the band, so they did a short final tour playing Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation in its entirety...life affirming gig that. Hearing some of the lesser played songs from the album and them also bringing out You Want Romance? was amazing. Made me feel like a teenager again.

- Rage Against The Machine, Gogol Bordello: Finsbury Park 2010. Their free 'Victory gig' after getting the Xmas #1 the previous year. One hell of a gig. Never have I seen so many people bouncing in one go...it was one huge pit by the end of it.

- Biffy Clyro, Frightened Rabbit: Brixton 2008. I've seen Biffy 7 times and they blew the place apart that night. Unfortunately it was during their popularity of the 'Puzzle' era so when they played songs like 27, The Ideal Height & Justboy half the crowd didn't have a clue what was going on. If they'd pulled out Jaggy Snake then it'd be #1.

- Les Savy Fav, Future of The Left, Los Campesinos!: London Astoria, 2008: What an awesome lineup that was! FOTL had a couple of technical issues but they continued on with their expected levels of humour and anger...then LSV's Tim Harrington hopped off stage whilst singing, went into the ladies and came out having stolen all the loo roll.

- Eels: Brighton Dome, 2008. I always wanted to see Mark play and it was a joyous occasion. His support act was a documentary about him and his father, the physicist Hugh Everett and Mark's attempts to learn about him and his groundbreaking theories. I remember Flyswatter sounding particularly splendid that night.

- Supergrass, Idlewild, Lightening Seeds: Arundel Castle, 2009: It's such a lovely venue, the grounds of the castle and three rather splendid bands (though we only really went for Idlewild), remembering Supergrass was a particular highlight, but seeing Idlewild play In Remote Part, which is one of mine and Mrs Grombleton's songs was quite moving, actually.

- Pixies, Bombay Bicycle Club: Brixton, 2009: Their Doolittle 20th Anniversary tour. Enough said.

- Metric, Blood Red Shoes: Concorde 2, 2006: I love this band, so little recognition on these shores. Superb gig and they were loud that night. Hustle Rose particularly shook the walls.

- Muse, Biffy Clyro: Wembley 2010: Biffy were a bit pants if I'm honest, but we weren't there for that - we were there to see Bellamy being one of the best showmen around and Chris Wolstenholme's wobbly head.

- Gogol Bordello, DeVotchKa: Brighton Dome, 2010: The Dome has never been happier since 'Start Wearing Purple' was belted out. Superb party.

- The Decemberists: De La Warr Pavilion, 2011: Part of their Popes of Pendarvia tour. I remember The Rake's Song sounding particularly good that evening. I can also diy happy having heard The Mariner's Revenge Song live.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I forgot Gorky's Zygotic Mynci in the Banqueting Hall, Caerphilly Castle. Not sure which of the 12 I've listed I'd like to ditch though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really do not know where to begin with this. I have been going to gigs regularly since 1985. In fact I probably go to more gigs these days than at any other time in my life; in fact today alone I have just bought tickets for Nick Cave and am off to see Gruff Rhys tonight. I've seen some pretty special shows in terms of big bands in small venues, and seen some performances which have gone down in history. It's easy for me to choose one single gig though, Queen at Wembley on the Magic tour in '86. not only a memorable performance but it cemented the deal between me and music and I've never looked back.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Who-Charlton
Marley-Rainbow
Buzzcocks/Joy Division - Rainbow
Damned-Marquee
Ramones/Talking Heads-Roundhouse
Costello- Numerous times
Nick Cave- Numerous Times but Victoria Apollo and Hammersmith Apollo stick out
Weller- Many, many times but his 3 night residency in New York stands out
Gogol Bordello - Dome and Barcelona
Tom Waits-Dublin
Fugees- Hammersmith
John Grant - Hastings and Glasto

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Showaddywaddy - Brighton Centre about 1980. My first ever gig. I was 11.
New Order - Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1986
Black Grape - Event 2 1996
Specials - Brixton 2011(12?)
Nick Cave - Alexander Palace 2005
Grinderman - Kentish Town Forum 2007
Peaches (supported by Ladytron) - Concorde 2 about 2001
Dr Robert supported by Mick Talbot - The Greys Pub, Hanover about 1999
The Beach Boys - Wembley Arena 2013 (12?)
Billy Ocean - Hove Town Hall earlier this year
John Grant - Jazz Cafe 2013, Bexhill 2014
The Godfathers - Surrey University 1987(?)
Beth Orton - St George's Church 2013

That's very recent-centric, probably on account of the fact that it's impossible to narrow down to a dozen and these ones are freshest in my mind. And none of my choices are in there for ironic value. I did genuinely love each and every gig I've mentioned.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably dozens I've forgotten, some that still leap to mind in no particular order:

Buzzcocks/Slits/JCC - Lyceum
Oasis - Earls Court
U2 - Marquee Club
Piranhas - Red Lion, Gravesend
Leftfield - Top Rank, Brighton
The Fall - some gothic church in central London (St Martins?) - known as the Peter Purves gig due to the great man being present
The Clash - Victoria Park
The Adverts - Greyhound, Croydon
Underworld - Essential Music Festival, Stanmer Park
Led Zeppelin - O2
The Pop Rivets/ATV/Planet Gong - car park, Medway Art College
The Smirks - Limit Club, Sheffield

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
A Day to Remember- Alexandra Palace, London
Architects- The Haunt, Brighton
While She Sleeps- The Haunt, Brighton
Avenged Sevenfold/ Five Finger Death Punch- Wembley Arena
Stone Sour/ Avenged Sevenfold- Brighton Centre
Five Finger Death Punch- The Forum, London
Four Year Strong- Concorde 2
Enter Shikari- Concorde 2
The Dillinger Escape Plan- Concorde 2
Architects- Concorde 2
Every Time I Die- Concorde 2
Paramore- Brighton Centre

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ooh toughie...

Muse (support - Elbow) - Brighton Centre, Absolution tour - 04.12.03 - shit venue but for me it was the band at their absolute peak.
The National - Corn Exchange - 09.07.10 - Great gig, everyone singing along and loving it.
Mute Math - V Festival/O2 Islington Academy - 19+20/05/07 Twice in two days. Unbelievably exciting live band a few years back.
The Listening - Littlehampton School Hall - Date unknown - Probably the most important gig ever for me personally.
Coldplay + Interpol - 28.06.05 - Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium - Was there mostly for Interpol, outdoor gig and the heavens opened just as Daniel began the solo to NYC, absolute perfect. Coldplay were pretty good too and Chris Martin wasn't too annoying.
Red Hot Chili Peppers + The Mars Volta - London Docklands Arena - 09.03.03
Billy Talent - Brighton Concorde2 - 29.05.12 - Unbelievable energy, the guitarist is a genius too.

and...

Northside Festival '14 - Aarhus, Denmark - 13th-15th July '14 - Meeting and chatting with Josh Homme and the Queens, Arcade Fire, Mew - watching all 3 bands and The Pixies from side stage. That was special.

Only 8, and have done plenty more gigs but these are the ones that really stand out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Way too hard.

Absolute favourites:

The Wedding Present, Liverpool Uni 1990ish

The Brilliant Corners, Basement Club, Brighton 1988ish

Wonderstuff, Brixton Academy, 1991ish

House Of Love, Liverpool Royal Court, 1990ish

Carter USM, Liverpool Institute, 1991ish

I'm not great with dates.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who-Charlton
Marley-Rainbow
Buzzcocks/Joy Division - Rainbow
Damned-Marquee
Ramones/Talking Heads-Roundhouse
Costello- Numerous times
Nick Cave- Numerous Times but Victoria Apollo and Hammersmith Apollo stick out
Weller- Many, many times but his 3 night residency in New York stands out
Gogol Bordello - Dome and Barcelona
Tom Waits-Dublin
Fugees- Hammersmith
John Grant - Hastings and Glasto

Was this an alleged acoustic show? Reason I say alleged as I was stone deaf at the end, it was the loudest most brutal acoustic gig I have ever been to. I recall it was was just Cave, Ellis and the seeds drummer with the name I cannot spell of the top of my head. And they were regularly all thrashing their instruments.

As for Cave, his King Alfred show must be in my top 12. There was nothing between the crowd and the band apart from a six inch stage which we stood right up against. He was so close that I could feel his breath. At one point he had his hand on die Frau's head doing some preacher man thing as he looked her in the eyes and bellowed out the song; I thought she was going to be a human sacrifice. First half was Grinderman, second was "Cave by Request".

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Fairport Convention - early Reading Festival
The Rolling Stones}
The Who. } all on Hastings Pier in the 60s
Jimmy Hendrix. }
The Pretty Things - Assembly Rooms, T Wells
The Skatalites - Hastings College
Spooky Tooth - Hastings College
David Bowie - Lewisham Odeon
Rod Stewart and The Faces - Lewisham Odeon
Otis Redding - Croydon Fairfield Halls
Bruce Springfield - Hammersmith Odeon
Squeeze and Elvis Costello - Deptford
James a Taylor - Barbican
Sex Pistols - 100 club
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Hammersmith Odeon
10,000 Maniacs - Drury Lane
McAlmont and Butler -Concord 2
Dexys Midnight Runners - Old Vic

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The Undertones - Top Rank - late 70s
The Stranglers - Top Rank - late 70s
OMD - Dome - early 80s
Queen - Knebworth - mid 80s
Muse - Various but Shepherds Bush Empire 2006 for being the 1st.
Arcade Fire - various but Brixton Academy for being the 1st
The Killers - Brighton Centre
Kasabian - Royal Albert Hall
Gogol Bordello - Dome - 2010
Eels - Dome

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Springsteen (x2), Brighton Centre 1981
Nick Cave B/C
Nick Cave Dome 2013
PJ Harvey & John Parish Corn Exchange
Jesus & Mary Chain (Leeds Uni, 1985 - 13 minutes of misery but in a wonderful wonderful way)
Elvis Costello B/C (2012 i think)
The Jam B/C 1982
Black Uhuru, Kingswest 1982

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Springsteen (x2), Brighton Centre 1981
Nick Cave B/C
Nick Cave Dome 2013
PJ Harvey & John Parish Corn ExchangeJesus & Mary Chain (Leeds Uni, 1985 - 13 minutes of misery but in a wonderful wonderful way)
Elvis Costello B/C (2012 i think)
The Jam B/C 1982
Black Uhuru, Kingswest 1982

Good shout. I was there and it was a great gig.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
In chronological order.

Arctic Monkeys/ Maccabees - Komedia '05
A real "I was there gig." I think it was the same week as I bet that you look good..." was released. Can't believe it's getting on for 10 years ago.

Sonic Youth - Roundhouse Daydream Nation Show '07
Sonic Youth, never played the hits so this opportunity to see them play Daydream Nation in its entirety was as close as I got.

Women/ Cold Pumas - Freebutt '09
Women are probably my favourite band of the last 10 years. This, the first time I saw them blew me away. Cold Pumas are probably my favourite local band, this was the first time I saw them. Amazing night, made more poignant by Women's untimely demise and subsequent death of guitarist Chris Reimer.

LCD Soundsystem - Bestival '10
I was lucky enough to catch LCD on every album, they truly were the band of the 00's IMHO. This was one that stays in the memory because they finished my festival brilliantly. I hadn't slept in getting on for 48 hours but danced through the whole set.

The Dead C - ATP '10
The most sonically savage performance I've seen from a band before or since. Jawdropping sounds. I got there slightly late and there was already many streaming for the exits, even at ATP, a crowd normally known for their open mindedness.

Tune-Yards - Freebutt '10
I've never seen an artist have an audience eating from the palm of their hands like this gig. The 60 or so there were open mouthed in amazement at her talent. She's continued to be good on her return visits, despite the venues increasing in size.

Potishead - I'll Be Your Mirror '11
I happen to think Third is Portishead's best album. Regardless, this was a great band at the height of their powers.

Swans -Koko '12
Having seen Swans pre and post reformation, this was the gig where the new version overtook the old. Played a host of new tracks that went on to form the majority of my album of this year To Be Kind

Ty Segall - Green Door Store '12
Alex Petridis said it better than I ever could http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/aug/02/ty-segall-review. He was outstanding at Jam in '10 as well.

PiL - Concorde '12
John Lydon's voice was absolutely staggering, a reformation that appeared to be done for the right reasons.

My Bloody Valentine - Hammersmith Apollo '13
I credit My Bloody Valentine's 3 night run at ATP in '09 with changing the way I listened to music. However, this show was perfect. The sound, so often a complaint at MBV show, was flawless and the addition of new material gave the set a new vibrancy.

Julia Holter - Komedia '13
She released my favourite record of that year and this show focused heavily on it amongst some excellent choices from her first two records. She has the air of a Kate Bush or Laurie Anderson, completely at odds with the prevailing winds of her time, an artist I believe has numerous masterpieces in her.

Sun Ra Arkestra - Primavera Sound '14
The decision to put Sun Ra on in a seated indoor auditorium was utter genius. The movement of the brass players through the crowd as they were playing provided so many different perspectives.

Kate Bush - Hammersmith Apollo '14
The first half was the best "concert" I've ever seen, ambtious and flawlessly executed. A crying shame that it took so long for her to come back.

I just can't differeniate between those. Had to be pretty brutal to get there.

There's 3 from my mispent metal listening youth that stick out as well

Cathedral/Electric Wizard/Sunn - London Garage '98
Emperor - LA2 - '99
Opeth - Underworld '01

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Was this an alleged acoustic show? Reason I say alleged as I was stone deaf at the end, it was the loudest most brutal acoustic gig I have ever been to. I recall it was was just Cave, Ellis and the seeds drummer with the name I cannot spell of the top of my head. And they were regularly all thrashing their instruments.

As for Cave, his King Alfred show must be in my top 12. There was nothing between the crowd and the band apart from a six inch stage which we stood right up against. He was so close that I could feel his breath. At one point he had his hand on die Frau's head doing some preacher man thing as he looked her in the eyes and bellowed out the song; I thought she was going to be a human sacrifice. First half was Grinderman, second was "Cave by Request".

Yes it was. I thought Warren was just going to explode at some point.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ŷ
The Birthday Party - 1982
REM - 1984
The Smiths (James) - 1985
Gil Scott Heron - 1986
SLF - 1980
New Order - 1986
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - 2004
The Cure - 1983
Black Uhuru - 1987
Theatre of Hate - 1982
The Jam - 1980
Fela Kuti - 1989

Always wanted to see black Uhuru.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bad Manner - loads
Hugh Masekela - Hay
Undertones - Concorde
Gil Scott Heron - club at the bottom of West Street that forever changes its name - Paradox?
JTQ - Event
Nina Simone - Brighton Centre
Etta James - Brighton Centre
Jimmy Cliff - Concorde

plus some more...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here