Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's so attractive about Burnley?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Because he will only have Brighton fans on his back twice a season from now on.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
4 bed farmhouse
Separate self-contained first floor flat
Adjoining self-contained 3 bed cottage
Approx 5 acres grazing land
Stable block
2 detached offices - one with first floor flat

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38842958.html?premiumA=true
£599,950.00

12956_62205_1733_IMG_00_0001_max_620x414.jpg

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Many moons ago, when Burnley won the league ( 1960 ) the town had a population of approx 70,000 and the football club enjoyed gates of approx 30,000.
I believe I read once that this is the highest percentage attendance viz home town population ever recorded.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Does it make us look just a little bit wanky to start disparaging Burnley over this?

I'm sure it has it's social issues like any town, no doubt there are a few rows of boarded up terraced houses on sale for £50k per street (thought I'd get that in before someone else does.

But it's a proper old football town with a glorious history in the game. It punches above its weight, population wise. I've never been to the town, but I do know there is some quite stunning countryside all around that area, which, if I was a quiet, non-nightclubbing, family type like Ashley Barnes, I could quite easily imagine would be a great place to live & bring up kids. House prices are probably far lower than around here, and that combined with the increased salary he'll get will be a plus for him too.

I didn't want to see him go, but I'm not going to get all snobbish about his choice of destination simply because some people can't see why a decent football club like Burnley might have it's attractions.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Does it make us look just a little bit wanky to start disparaging Burnley over this?

I'm sure it has it's social issues like any town, no doubt there are a few rows of boarded up terraced houses on sale for £50k per street (thought I'd get that in before someone else does.

But it's a proper old football town with a glorious history in the game. It punches above its weight, population wise. I've never been to the town, but I do know there is some quite stunning countryside all around that area, which, if I was a quiet, non-nightclubbing, family type like Ashley Barnes, I could quite easily imagine would be a great place to live & bring up kids. House prices are probably far lower than around here, and that combined with the increased salary he'll get will be a plus for him too.

I didn't want to see him go, but I'm not going to get all snobbish about his choice of destination simply because some people can't see why a decent football club like Burnley might have it's attractions.

Very true.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
...Apart from the huge wages they apparently pay up there.

Any ideas?

Hi chaps,

Bit of an admission, I'm a clarets fan living in Brighton. Just to comment that we have no money, we've actually lost several players to clubs simply because of the wage structure we have in place.

There's no way we'd be playing big money because we don't have it.

I'm very chuffed with Barnes, I think he was motivated by playing more first team football, plus Dyche has a good rep as a coach.

I'm unsure if we can maintain the form we are in, it's certainly been astonishing to see us near the top. We are very thin with players though, it's amusing hearing this from the clubs around us who have ex-Prem players or internationals on the bench.

Still - we're happy. Obviously Seagulls are my second team, saw you against Leicester. Good display and good result, I think you'll certainly be in the mix come the end of the season.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hi chaps,

Bit of an admission, I'm a clarets fan living in Brighton. Just to comment that we have no money, we've actually lost several players to clubs simply because of the wage structure we have in place.

There's no way we'd be playing big money because we don't have it.

I'm very chuffed with Barnes, I think he was motivated by playing more first team football, plus Dyche has a good rep as a coach.

I'm unsure if we can maintain the form we are in, it's certainly been astonishing to see us near the top. We are very thin with players though, it's amusing hearing this from the clubs around us who have ex-Prem players or internationals on the bench.

Still - we're happy. Obviously Seagulls are my second team, saw you against Leicester. Good display and good result, I think you'll certainly be in the mix come the end of the season.

Where did the money you got on Austin go

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I agree. Let's not turn this into a Swindonesque ''Sideways move'' debacle!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Top manager in Sean Dyche , and a great chance of being in the Premiership next season

Top manager? STRONGLY disagree. Your teams' tactics were piss poor when you visited this season. He's average!! He might get you up though, good luck to him.

Barnes is only going for the money, and for a fresh start. And Burnley are in a great position for promotion.

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Low end housing is cheap indeed but when you go higher up the scale 500k+ then i dont believe that there is a huge difference and thats speaking as someone currently relocating from pretty Hampshire village to somewhere in the vicinity of Bolton.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I would imagine to a footballer of Ashley's age it doesn't matter too much about who or where he plays. This is his job and if someone is going to treble (or more) his wages than he will work for that employer! Really don't blame him for moving on for the money, this move could potentially set him up for a very comfortable life after football. I think some poeple look at it from a fans point of view but forget to realise that the players are not fans of the club and see playing for us as their job and would move to another employer if they offer a better package (like most of us).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You have to give Burnley credit for being a football mad town. Population of 87,000 with plenty of alternatives including the two Manchester clubs less than an hour away. It is amazing that they can compete at this level. Especially having watched Blackburn go through their Jack Walker phase.

This season I hope we beat everyone, but take us out of the equation and I would be quite happy to see Burnley and Derby do well, especially if it left Harry and his bare bones high and dry. Leicester would be another I could enjoy a near miss for, Forest if only to finally enjoy a Billy Preston post match interview.

On the QPR front I suspect they could well cock up this season, but I have a feeling West Ham will parachute Harry out of there, long before anything can stain his teflon coat.

Said before the season start Harry will be long gone before they fail to win the league with the squad they have, wont be old Harry's fault

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The way I see it: Dyche has made him feel wanted, going all the way back to the summer in fact. Without making him a billionaire, no doubt Barnes has accepted a wage increase to some degree, and at the very least is making more than the Albion were prepared to offer him. He has the chance of a fresh start, under a manager with a decent reputation and in a side who are going well, and to live in an attractive part of the country. Sometimes gut feelings are what we live by; maybe he just has the feeling this is a good move for him.

Why not? I wish him well (just not against us).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here