Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats happening to BBC Five Live?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Needs Monkfish

Too right! Needs a bit of "shut it. Right. Oi you, 2 sugars with milk; an a slice of the old Holy Ghost an all...You, get undressed...etc etc.

Soon be back to its best ;)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There's no doubt that women follow football, particularly the World Cup, but there's no getting away from the fact that it really is a male dominated sport. You just need to look around you at any game you go to; I'd estimate that men make up 90%+. I can't even think of the any women that sit close to our seats in the north end of west lower, and there are even fewer at away games.

Not missing out ;) I knew of a woman once who expressed a wild and dangerous opinion of her own...

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
The BBC probably has more women sports presenters than men. That's the BBC for you these days...Stick with Talk Sport, much more of a male's point of view.

There in a nutshell is the reason why it's known as "Talk S**t":)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'll stick with 5 Live, thank you. Good eloquent, thoughtful analysis.

And please have your thoughts ripped apart by Eleanor Oldroyd, next time she is on Fighting Talk.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There in a nutshell is the reason why it's known as "Talk S**t":)

Also I don't drive a white van or shop at selco and have a direct debit to Paddy Power so I realise I'm not target audience ;)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If someone knows their stuff do people really care about their gender? Edna on this board for example, as knowledgeable about Brighton, tactics, transfers etc as any male. Claire Balding was the best presenter in the London Olympics by some distance. I can't believe how much some people live in the dark ages.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If someone knows their stuff do people really care about their gender? Edna on this board for example, as knowledgeable about Brighton, tactics, transfers etc as any male. Claire Balding was the best presenter in the London Olympics by some distance. I can't believe how much some people live in the dark ages.

Claire is different though. It's like she's one of us. We like Claire.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This is Phil

<<<<<----

TalkSport gets away with it because it's paid for by the advertisers of blokey stuff: Trade suppliers; van sales companies and Snoop Dog flogging 'car inshawnce'.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I started a thread on a similar subject (women sports presenters on BBC1) a while back and got hell from Edna. Valid point though. Mostly men play sports, or at least the ones reported by the major media, so it makes sense that there should be male presenters/reporters who understand the subject. If there's a discussion about make-up and hair on tele it makes sense to have a woman presenting/reporting as both are subjects most men know little about. Common sense really, but the BBC has this ridiculous equality/PC thing.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Based on the ITV coverage so far I would rather have women than Chiles, Dixon, Wright, Hoddle and Strachan.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but can you please explain what is "really disgusting" about it? Sorry, clicked on wrong quote!

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

The Olympics has a load of sports with a strong female following: gymnastics, swimming, athletics, horse riding etc.. Football, and the other sports mentioned in the original post, are all sports whose fans are 90% men.

Yes, there are women that have played and watched a lot of football and will know their stuff. However, could you see a programme like SSN on Saturday afternoon working if it was a mixed gender panel instead of Stelling, Merson, Le Tissier and Thompson getting all excited (and making funny exited kid noises) over goals and incidents.

For what it's worth, my missis doesn't mind football but can't stand listening to female commentators. She also thinks that the so-called 'modern men' are a bunch of wooses and prefers cocky men who act a bit more Gene Huntish (not ryming slang).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't work out who if people are seriously upset by women comnenting on football, and who is just joking about it.

Let's ignore the fact women are perfectly capable of understanding appreciating and reporting on football.
Let's ignore the fact for most people the gender of the reporter isn't as important as their ability to do the job.
Let's ignore the fact one of the best officials in English football is a woman.

If you're arguing that the make up of the audience should dictate the make up of the media coverage team you have have to realise coverage still is mainly done by men.

If you were to record the genders of everyone who comments on the World Cup on TV or radio, there will be an even higher men:women ratio than exists in football crowds (that is to say, for illustration, the female proportion of the football audience might be 15%, but media coverage by females still only makes up 2%).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Do any of the 5 live female presenters have a similar history to;
Stan Collymore
Richard Keys
Andy Gray
Alan Brazil (drunk on air)

All entertaining and knowledgeable broadcasters. They're football pundits not Blue Peter presenters.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Women, know your limits

0.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here