Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] What's good to watch on BBC iPlayer ?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Almost all of the Storyville docs are excellent as per another recent thread. The recent Plane Hijacker one was particularly good.

They've also got a load or proper classic films, Casablanca, Citizen Cane etc

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If you like sci-fi and haven't seen it before, Battlestar Gallactica. It's the '90s/2000s remake. All four seasons are streaming. Possibly the best sci-fi series ever made IMO.

I also recommend Detectorists. Wonderful comedy.

The Detectorists is simply amazing. Its just a fantastic programme, and anybody hasn't seen it then it definitely worth watching.

I haven't watched Battlestar Gallactica, it was one of those shows I meant to watch, but slipped through the cracks. 'Best Sci fi series ever' has peaked my interest again though. Personally I'm a massive fan of Firefly. I also think think the first series of Altered Carbon on netflix is astonishingly good (the second series is good, but the first series is serisously big sci fi). I would also give a shout out to Picard on Amazon, which I think was a lovely series, written and crafted by Trek fans who made it a really solid return to form for Star Trek. Also begrudingly have to admit that the Mandalorian was bloody good. Both that and Rogue One show exactly how strong that universe is, and perfectly capable of holding excellent stories without having to shoe horn in old characters like the awful new films did.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The Detectorists is simply amazing. Its just a fantastic programme, and anybody hasn't seen it then it definitely worth watching.

I haven't watched Battlestar Gallactica, it was one of those shows I meant to watch, but slipped through the cracks. 'Best Sci fi series ever' has peaked my interest again though. Personally I'm a massive fan of Firefly. I also think think the first series of Altered Carbon on netflix is astonishingly good (the second series is good, but the first series is serisously big sci fi). I would also give a shout out to Picard on Amazon, which I think was a lovely series, written and crafted by Trek fans who made it a really solid return to form for Star Trek. Also begrudingly have to admit that the Mandalorian was bloody good. Both that and Rogue One show exactly how strong that universe is, and perfectly capable of holding excellent stories without having to shoe horn in old characters like the awful new films did.

Like you, I never quite got around to watching the new Battlestar Galactica. Then, seeing it pop up in its entirety on BBC iPlayer, I thought it would make ideal lockdown escapism. Weirdly, it reflects a lot of what is happening in the world now but other than that, it's just brilliantly written and superbly acted with characters who, almost without fail, all have amazing story arcs.

I've not seen Picard. Might try that. I also hear The Expanse is supposed to be good.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Like you, I never quite got around to watching the new Battlestar Galactica. Then, seeing it pop up in its entirety on BBC iPlayer, I thought it would make ideal lockdown escapism. Weirdly, it reflects a lot of what is happening in the world now but other than that, it's just brilliantly written and superbly acted with characters who, almost without fail, all have amazing story arcs.

I've not seen Picard. Might try that. I also hear The Expanse is supposed to be good.

Picard is really great. Written by the author Michael Chabon who happens to be a Star Trek Fan. I think it moves back from the JJ Abraham adventures towards steady Star Trek territory. I think there's a really amazing/lovely balance of Picard being aware of his age, and not being an invincible captain anymore but still retaining the sense of idenity that made Picard such an amazing character in the first place.

I also want to watch The Expanse. But I keep putting it off thinking I'll read the books (that are sat on my shelf) first. Unfortunately my ever growing reading list keeps dropping them down the pecking order. I'm starting to think I should just watch it.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The original Danish version of The Bridge. Truly excellent.

Just finished that, excellent TV that Saga was very good.

Currently watching Inspector Falkevon Walter Presents, may watch Spiral next

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Sure and thats fair enough. But there's plenty of other threads you can create or join in with both on NSC/off NSC to argue that case so i'd hope on post #2 it doesn't descend into a debate about the funding or impartiality of BBC news. This is for recommendations if you do use BBC iPlayer or are unaware of what it currently streams and interested to see people talk about their favourites or what they've watched recently...

Cardinal is also pretty good set in Canada. The Bridge is better but the scandanavians are the master of this type of drama...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Spooks, Peaky Blinders, Hustle and Jonathan Creek

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The Serpent is excellent - currently about half-way through.

Also had the OP's choice Spiral highly recommended, so that's next.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Oh gosh YES!!! I have spent my Christmas watching this. Finished season 3 last night and shall start season 4 shortly. Incredible show.

I now go round the house answering yes and no in a mix of Swedish and Danish.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If you're looking for a 8 part mini series - that concludes after 8 episodes. And a sci fi story that takes in issues like Artificial Intelligence, the power of Big Tech, hippy Californian billionaires, and some smart twists and revelations then can heartily recommend Devs. Features a great performance from Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p087gj19/devs

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I May Destroy You, Small Axe, Normal People.

Really enjoyed Shrill and it is still the only place to watch Fleabag in its entirety.

I recently watched a couple of great football documentaries on it as well - France 98 - The Three Musketeers and Return to Turin.

Oh and if you've got nothing better to do at 6:30pm or on catch up - Lightning is one of the weirdest quiz shows you'll ever see. The "physical" challenge is so bizarre.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
'The Investigation', a dramatisation about the murder of Swedish Journalist Kim Wall aboard the mini-submarine of it's inventor, who she was interviewing.

It's not a blood and guts reconstruction of the murder (you don't see the perpetrator, and they never mention his name) but a detailed look at how he was brought to justice and the painstaking police work involved in establishing proof when there were no witnesses and the evidence was literally at the bottom the ocean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here