Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's caused the downfall of this country?

What's the cause?

• Education

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Drugs

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Rap music

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Teenagers

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Violence

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Blacks

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • Tony Blair

Votes: 46 25.8%
  • Single Mums

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • The Iraq War

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Have the SLC been privatised yet and started charging a "for profit" level of interest?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i do understand that, but have chosen to give up the job so i can do well in my final year. i worked this summer and saved up so i am able to do that. i therefore need the maximum loan. if i want to come out with a worthwhile degree i no longer have time to work.

...but you have time to go out drinking?.....

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
admittedly i didnt go to university myself , but most of my colleagues who did tell me that degree courses could be condensed to 18 months , which would save a lot obviously on accomodation food etc , any thoughts ?

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
admittedly i didnt go to university myself , but most of my colleagues who did tell me that degree courses could be condensed to 18 months , which would save a lot obviously on accomodation food etc , any thoughts ?

definitely could.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
oh well. i'll just go out and buy a new designer jacket, get f***ed tonight, rohypnol a fresher, get a dominoes on the way home and get on that train to yeovil saturday

:bounce:

It is the only way young man! Don't splash out on Rohypnol, a barcadi breezer or 2 does the job just as well!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
once or twice a week, yes i do. do you?

No, not really. I have two small kids, and no ready babysitter, so don't really get the chance very often. Might have a beer after football or cricket, though.

What I do with my spare cash now isn't really the issue though, being as I've been in the job market for 18 years, saving money and paying taxes.

This dicussion is about the fairness or otherwise of expecting a student to help pay their own way through their studies.

Had you asked 'Did I go out drinking, when I was at college?' that would have been far more pertinent. The answer would have been 'Yes, of course I did'. But, I worked to afford that right, and I never bleated about the unfairness of it all.

I think it depends on the degree and the university. My girlfriend and some friends went to Cambridge, they had to work their arses' off solidly for 3/4 years, I don't think they could realistically fit it into any less time. I went to Bath, and while I could have comfortably fitted my Desmond in Economics into 2 years, those that actually went to lectures and did some work would probably not be able to :D

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Is a very good call, actually. Mine could have been done in two years, very easily.

Some obviously have a lot more lecture time than others, though I think the ones with only a few lectures are SUPPOSED to involve more 'independant study'.....

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
No, not really. I have two small kids, and no ready babysitter, so don't really get the chance very often. Might have a beer after football or cricket, though.

What I do with my spare cash now isn't really the issue though, being as I've been in the job market for 18 years, saving money and paying taxes.

This dicussion is about the fairness or otherwise of expecting a student to help pay their own way through their studies.

Had you asked 'Did I go out drinking, when I was at college?' that would have been far more pertinent. The answer would have been 'Yes, of course I did'. But, I worked to afford that right, and I never bleated about the unfairness of it all.

you assume i haven't been saving money or paying taxes?

i do help pay my own way, in fact i (will) completely pay my way other than what my parents contribute but that is up to them and i'm sure i will help them out when i have the means.

i was complaining about the fact grants are given out to every man and his dog.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
you assume i haven't been saving money or paying taxes?

i do help pay my own way, in fact i (will) completely pay my way other than what my parents contribute but that is up to them and i'm sure i will help them out when i have the means.

i was complaining about the fact grants are given out to every man and his dog.

But they are means tested surely and you get help from your folks which a lot of other people probably don't get so it's just swings and roundabouts really.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
But they are means tested surely and you get help from your folks which a lot of other people probably don't get so it's just swings and roundabouts really.

no the means tested system is wank.

i know a lot of people who don't live with both parents. the mum does not have income, other than the money their ex partner gives them, and the student is completely paid for by their dad, "pocket money" the lot. they also get more than £1000 a year which does not need paying back.

just because my parents earn more than 30k does not mean they can afford to give out that amount of money.

it also does not take into account how many children in the family. 29k for a family with one child is a lot easier to support than 31k with four children all going to university.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well, unfortunately, quite rightly, higher education costs money. You can either afford it or not. Whatever opinion you hold these are the facts.

it's 30k, not 60.

Sorry, my mistake. The £60K household income threshold where the student can still receive a partial maintenance grant (albeit £50) applies to those starting courses this autumn. For undergraduates already at university, the figures seem to be:

Working out how much you’ll get for 2008/2009
You’ll be able to get at least a partial grant if your household income is £39,305 or under.

Exactly how much is available depends on your household income - check the table below for an idea of what you’ll get.

Household income Amount of grant
Up to £18,360 Full grant - £2,835
£20,000 £2,562
£25,000 £1,729
£27,810 £1,260
£30,000 £1,030
£35,000 £504
£39,305 £50
More than £39,305 No grant

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Perhaps you could "magic" up some money with a part time job. Evenings, weekends, holidays?

I did, I had £1500 worth of savings from working part time for 2 years. Had all gone by the middle of 2nd year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here