Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's caused the downfall of this country?

What's the cause?

• Education

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Drugs

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Rap music

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Teenagers

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Violence

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Blacks

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • Tony Blair

Votes: 46 25.8%
  • Single Mums

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • The Iraq War

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
There isn't a student in the UK that doesn't spend at least half his loan/grant on boooze, pizzas, entertainment etc. Any of them that say they don't is either lying or a massive geek. It is what uni is for. You drink your food money and live off beans. Any of them that say they are hard up should get a fecking job and stop moaning.

Let 9/11 go down in history as the day the nibbler got something spot on

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
There isn't a student in the UK that doesn't spend at least half his loan/grant on boooze, pizzas, entertainment etc. Any of them that say they don't is either lying or a massive geek. It is what uni is for. You drink your food money and live off beans. Any of them that say they are hard up should get a fecking job and stop moaning.

i worked 20 hours a week for the first two years of my degree. my loan (didn't) pay for accommodation, and my parents had to make up the rest. i then spent my wages on going out. you clearly don't understand how the loan system works if you think people spunk it on going out. one is for tuition. the other for accommodation. anyone who is lucky enough to have their parents pay for rent can do that, but not normal people.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm with Nibble on this. When I was at college 15+ years ago, students wore army surplus parkas, and no-one had cars. I literally knew ONE person out of scores of course-mates, etc that owned one. Now a high percentage can afford to run a car, and they are all dressed well, with plenty of ready cash for a night out. Of course they are NOT loaded in most cases, but are funding it all on tick. Its not out of necessity though, but they don't seem to understand that.

This isn't to say that student debt isn't inevitable - I'm sure it is. The size of that debt, however, could be managed much, much better, in a huge amount of cases.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i worked 20 hours a week for the first two years of my degree. my loan (didn't) pay for accommodation, and my parents had to make up the rest. i then spent my wages on going out. you clearly don't understand how the loan system works if you think people spunk it on going out. one is for tuition. the other for accommodation. anyone who is lucky enough to have their parents pay for rent can do that, but not normal people.

Well I wish someone would loan me the money to pay my rent. Count yourself lucky and get yourself pissed. Next!

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
The upper limit for parental income (ie no grant) is set at £60K and you're saying that parents earning more than this cannot afford to contribute anything - really?
The principle of parental contribution based on household income hasn't changed since my wife and I went to university in the 70's but if it's going to be struggle for parents then you (the student) could save from evening, weekend jobs whilst still at school, delay going to university for a year or two and work, get a job during the holdays while you're at university or maybe work during term time. Many have done this before.
The information on likely costs is out there; nobody waits until their A-level results arrive before thinking about how to finance a 3-4 year university course do they? Both of my kids started planning for university when they were in year 11 (2001); their parents started in 1995.

it's 30k, not 60.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
well if you or your parents can't afford it don't go to uni.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

ha ha. Listen to yourself.

So let me get this straight - your loan / parental help doesn't cover the necessities, therefore you go into debt. The money you earn is for spunking up the wall.

How about you actually put some of your wages towards necessities too and limit the debt?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
well get yourself back into education so you can offer more to society once you graduate and somebody will :thumsbup:

Have you seen the amount of unemployed Post-grads? Now isn't there a laundrette you should be sitting in or some innocent fresher you should be plying with alcopops ready for date raping?

Just out of interest what are you planning to "offer society" when you graduate? I am fairly certain most students don't go to uni to improve society but more to earn more money for themselves.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i can afford it. student loan and a job. but your comments about spunking loans up the wall are simply not true in a large majority of cases.

They are true. Your profile says you enjoy "treating yourself like a king". What else should I take from that?

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
ha ha. Listen to yourself.

So let me get this straight - your loan / parental help doesn't cover the necessities, therefore you go into debt. The money you earn is for spunking up the wall.

How about you actually put some of your wages towards necessities too and limit the debt?

my loan and parental help covers rent and tuition fees - the necessities.

this debt you are referring to, do you think it's with the student loans companies or with a bank? i do not have an overdraft and wouldn't dream of getting a credit card.

the loan, i apply for the maximum amount (£3400 a year, rent is around £4500) so my parents make up the rest of my rent.

i then work so i can afford to go to brighton games, and go out.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

this debt you are referring to, do you think it's with the student loans companies or with a bank? i do not have an overdraft and wouldn't dream of getting a credit card.

the loan, i apply for the maximum amount (£3400 a year, rent is around £4500) so my parents make up the rest of my rent.

So your parents and a loan pay your rent and you spend your free cash entertaining yourself? And you don't count yourself lucky? Why should you get any more help than that? Dreaming.

Surely the point is that students used to get GRANTS to piss against the wall. Now they get LOANS. It's all well and good people who have graduated (and yes I have) saying that they should cut back on boozing and save, but how many people did that with the grants that they got back in the day?

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Have you seen the amount of unemployed Post-grads? Now isn't there a laundrette you should be sitting in or some innocent fresher you should be plying with alcopops ready for date raping?

Just out of interest what are you planning to "offer society" when you graduate? I am fairly certain most students don't go to uni to improve society but more to earn more money for themselves.

are you an idiot? i've seen you get a lot of stick on here before, so i'm going to assume, yes.

i have a washing machine thank you, and i do not need to use any form of drug to get myself a lady friend.

improve society by earning a good wage in a good job, therefore having more money to spend.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Surely the point is that students used to get GRANTS to piss against the wall. Now they get LOANS. It's all well and good people who have graduated (and yes I have) saying that they should cut back on boozing and save, but how many people did that with the grants that they got back in the day?

I don't think they should cut back on boozing but they shouldn't complain about how they get no help if they decide to booze it up.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
So your parents and a loan pay your rent and you spend your free cash entertaining yourself? And you don't count yourself lucky? Why should you get any more help than that? Dreaming.

i shouldn't, but some people do. i am actually going to pay that loan back you know. that's what a loan is. i work so i can entertain myself, yes.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
are you an idiot? i've seen you get a lot of stick on here before, so i'm going to assume, yes.

i have a washing machine thank you, and i do not need to use any form of drug to get myself a lady friend.

improve society by earning a good wage in a good job, therefore having more money to spend.

Whoaa Fella, calm yourself down. You will be too het up to do your homework if you get all narcy on here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Look, I'm really not trying to be critical of your own situation - it sounds similar to mine, except that I worked up to 40 hours a week for 2.5 years of my course to pay my way through. Luckily I didn't find the actual course especially taxing, or I would have had to work a lot less hours. The fact that this work was all in the evenings behind bars, also limited my weekly spending too, as I could only go out twice a week.

You understand your situation, I guess, and are happy to build up this debt, to the SLC, whilst spending your wages on things you WANT. Surely you accept though, that this is a CHOICE, and that you could plough some of your wages into your necessity pot, and choose not to take the maximum loan each year?

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Look, I'm really not trying to be critical of your own situation - it sounds similar to mine, except that I worked up to 40 hours a week for 2.5 years of my course to pay my way through. Luckily I didn't find the actual course especially taxing, or I would have had to work a lot less hours. The fact that this work was all in the evenings behind bars, also limited my weekly spending too, as I could only go out twice a week.

You understand your situation, I guess, and are happy to build up this debt, to the SLC, whilst spnding your wages on things you WANT. Surely you accept though, that this is a CHOICE, and that you could plough some of your wages into your necessity pot, and choose not to take the maximum loan each year?

i do understand that, but have chosen to give up the job so i can do well in my final year. i worked this summer and saved up so i am able to do that. i therefore need the maximum loan. if i want to come out with a worthwhile degree i no longer have time to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here