Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] What's a decent size in inches

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We said we’d never buy a big tv and went for an hd projector and drop down screen, and then we moved the rooms around a bit downstairs.
A really good offer came in for a 55” telly and it fitted the room perfectly.
The projector doesn’t get enough use now, but is good for big games, and movies on rainy days
Moved rooms around….wow I’ve never tried moving the actual room …splendid idea 😏

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For a Television these days?

My friend has an old 24" one and is seeking to size up but doesn't want to go for one that's too big for his room size

Cheers !
43 suits the size of our lounge perfectly. I've seen too many lounges swamped by ridiculously huge screens. And surely wall mounted screens are going to give you neck ache?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I don't get the bigger is better tv malarkey...we have one tv in our house, in the living room, and its of modest size, but fablioso quality. I don't feel like I'm being eaten by the thing or being assaulted by Jack Grealish's chest when he invariably takes his shirt off at the end of every game...

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
We are going full on and thinking of getting a colour TV, but not sure whether to buy or rent. Considering Radio Rentals or maybe Redifussion as they have adverts on the South Stand?

IMG_3564.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whoever puts a TV over a mantlepiece wants their noggin examining, or at least their neck will need soothing after a while.

Indeed over a mantelpiece is not ideal.

Think cinema, theatre, amphitheatre, sports stadium etc., you always look level or down on the action for comfort - not up.
:)
That's not because looking down is better or more comfortable, it's because it'd be shit looking at people feet if they were on a stage above you.

Ideally the centre of your screen should be slightly above your eyes (with the bottom of the screen a bit below).

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I used this and bought my 40" Panasonic. Perfect!
So you sit 4 feet from the TV for movies?! I'm happy watching my 26 in. from 7 feet rather than 2.5 feet, thank you.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
That's not because looking down is better or more comfortable, it's because it'd be shit looking at people feet if they were on a stage above you.

Ideally the centre of your screen should be slightly above your eyes (with the bottom of the screen a bit below).
All of the How Comfortable Are You / Are You About To Cost Us A Fortune By Going On Long Term Sick Leave With An RSI courses I've ever done have suggested the top of a screen should be level with your eyeline.
A quick Google suggests that for a TV eyeline should be roughly a third of the way down the screen, on the basis that it's the level where people's heads tend to be on the screen.
I'm starting to think nobody actually knows, beyond being sure that putting the TV above your mantlepiece is stupid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All of the How Comfortable Are You / Are You About To Cost Us A Fortune By Going On Long Term Sick Leave With An RSI courses I've ever done have suggested the top of a screen should be level with your eyeline.
A quick Google suggests that for a TV eyeline should be roughly a third of the way down the screen, on the basis that it's the level where people's heads tend to be on the screen.

For PCs, it's about comfort over long periods. For cinema there are other factors to take into account: Ideally you want the sound to be level with your ears. You also want the action in picture to be level with the sound. I'm not sure why it's generally recommended to have the centre slightly above eye level, maybe it's because of practicality, as I can't see what's wrong with the centre of the screen being in line with your eyes.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
We are going full on and thinking of getting a colour TV, but not sure whether to buy or rent. Considering Radio Rentals or maybe Redifussion as they have adverts on the South Stand?

View attachment 169988
Try to get one with the 10p meter on the back, that way you don’t get expensive bills every month but remember to have a few extra 10ps in case it runs out when a good bits on !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here