Whatever happened to witty comments at the football?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
It seems all we get up there now is people moaning about people moaning/swearing...

Is it me, or has the art of the rib-cracking, mirth engendering witty comment gone by the board?

I remember being on The East Terrace at TGG and many times in a game, during a quiet bit, someone would crack a genuine funny that would go down a storm!

I don't know if was just a terrace thing, and perhaps didn't happen in the seats?

Seems to have gone a bit these days

:(

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
IMHO, it was a terrace thing, with people mixing more.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Some guy called forster, foster on saturday. That gained a few chuckles and got the response, "Its FORster"
:lolol::lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of my favourites was on the East Terrace and after a tussle for the ball a voice was heard shouting at Brian Tawse that right Brian use your weight and if you remember him you would appreciate it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One of my favourites was on the East Terrace and after a tussle for the ball a voice was heard shouting at Brian Tawse that right Brian use your weight and if you remember him you would appreciate it.

''Hit him with your handbag Kit''.................. some bloke used to shout every time K.Napier was fouled. it must have been an east terrace thing.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
"Taxi for Minton!" from someone in the North Stand circa 1995. People just don't write material like that any more.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Again Brian Tawse chased a ball down to the south end eventually collected by the keeper, the "bloke behind me" shouts, "keep running Tawse straight into the bloody sea"

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The best one I can recall was from the Southwest terrace. There was a group of middleaged blokes who seemed to cluster around one particular white haired guy who looked like he held sway in that particular area. He would sometimes say something whereupon one of his cronies would shout it out hoping for a laugh. Well, on one occassion, one crony took it upon himself to shout out 'Connor, your a f**king Wanker'. Whereupon literally nanoseconds later the aforementioned Connor scored a goal. The whitehaired guy quickly chirped in 'if he's a wanker then I hope he cums again'.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
dont get it very much at withdean - at away games you get the occasional CLASSIC

the older blokes who go and watch cheltenham and stand in front of the main stand come out with some PEARLERS however

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember a classic from the West Stand at the Goldstone.

Oi! Grealish! let's see some magic!

f***ing disappear!

See, we used to moan at players back then, as well.
On a similar theme, also emanating from the West Stand (possibly the same mouth)...

Oi! WILKINS! do something magic!

Disappear

:clap::clap::clap:

The best one I can recall was from the Southwest terrace. There was a group of middleaged blokes who seemed to cluster around one particular white haired guy who looked like he held sway in that particular area. He would sometimes say something whereupon one of his cronies would shout it out hoping for a laugh. Well, on one occassion, one crony took it upon himself to shout out 'Connor, your a f**king Wanker'. Whereupon literally nanoseconds later the aforementioned Connor scored a goal. The whitehaired guy quickly chirped in 'if he's a wanker then I hope he cums again'.

Was there a little bloke with glasses among this motley crew, often with a very large camera. Although little he had a very loud voice, we nicknamed him "the librarian". Tall white haired guy was well spoken and early/late season would often seem to have interrupted watching the Cricket down the road to come to the Goldstone. Happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports